Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I been eye balling this one for a couple yrs. so I order it last week and it was delivered a couple hrs. ago. Any Nam Veterans have this K-Bar knife,if you do what's your opinion of the knife? 37791682_1799931823418885_387883749246763008_n.jpg

·
Registered
30 Posts
Not a Vietnam vet, but I'm got a USMC version of this knife. Wasn't in USMC either. Anyways, I think the knife quite a bit. The 7" blade is useful. I've skinned an entire bull elk with mine. Holds an edge very well.

I do sometimes wish I had the 5" version of the knife. I find 5" blades more useable in more varied situations.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
x2 on value of short blade. Carrying a Bowie knife on your hip IMO is the best way to id someone who hasn't field dressed many deer or larger animals. 3.5-4" blades are my go to cutters on deer in the field. When you're in the chest cavity, bigger knives tend to get snagged and just seem unwieldy in the tight quarters trying to get everything loose so you can roll the animal over and get everything out.

Once I get them hung, skinning is done redneck style with a quad or a truck. Then I use a boning butcher knife to quarter, take off the straps and take meat off neck for grinding. I have the USMC KBAR. It is a great knife for its intended military application, but it's a little stout for gutting or cutting meat. It can do it, it's just not my first choice.

·
Registered
19 Posts
x2 on value of short blade. Carrying a Bowie knife on your hip IMO is the best way to id someone who hasn't field dressed many deer or larger animals. 3.5-4" blades are my go to cutters on deer in the field. When you're in the chest cavity, bigger knives tend to get snagged and just seem unwieldy in the tight quarters trying to get everything loose so you can roll the animal over and get everything out.

Once I get them hung, skinning is done redneck style with a quad or a truck. Then I use a boning butcher knife to quarter, take off the straps and take meat off neck for grinding. I have the USMC KBAR. It is a great knife for its intended military application, but it's a little stout for gutting or cutting meat. It can do it, it's just not my first choice.
It's funny to mentioning short blades as 3.5-4"... My field dressing knife is around 3". Anything bigger than that and I find that the knife just is too big on deer.

David

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
It's funny to mentioning short blades as 3.5-4"... My field dressing knife is around 3". Anything bigger than that and I find that the knife just is too big on deer.

David

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
I've got a buck knife that is 3", I used it in once on a deer. I carry it occasionally in my pocket just cause I always keep a knife handy. My buck with the S30V steel is 4" I think, the other Buck is gut hook with a rubber handle that's about the same blade length. The rubber handle doesn't slide in my hand when it gets covered in blood n chunks.

The KBAR I've got has a 7" blade and having used shorter blades, I'm a fan of the shorties.

I have a buddy that is a knifesmith. For a number of years, I had him make me a new blade each year for hunting season out of high carbon steel. I picked the blades out of a Janus (I think that's the name). All told I think I still have around 15 knives from him. Most of the handles are Coco Bolo fixed blades. Over the years I given some of these fine crafted knives to my best friends. Even with all those knives worth some serious $, I go back to Buck in the field.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a buddy that is a knifesmith. For a number of years, I had him make me a new blade each year for hunting season out of high carbon steel. I picked the blades out of a Janus (I think that's the name). All told I think I still have around 15 knives from him. Most of the handles are Coco Bolo fixed blades. Over the years I given some of these fine crafted knives to my best friends.
Hey friend :wink::wink: Just kidding. LOL

Below is a link to the knife I use with the only exception being that mine doesn't have black blades; they're stainless steel.

https://www.amazon.com/Smith-Wesson-CH400DLB-Cuttin-Double/dp/B000UUXDTK

It takes a wicked sharp edge fairly quickly.

David

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have the 5 inch USMC Version that was giving to me years ago.....Bluing is pretty worn but it is still sharp and very serviceable. I also have a D2 Extreme with a 7 inch that is just to big...Still in the box and plastic after all these years.

Karsten

·
Registered
188 Posts
Depends on what you want to use it for. For cutting and general purpose, it is a very good choice. For survival, if it is the only one, why not. I have a WWI British Bayonet that I finally (took many hours) put a good edge on. It is a great short sword and worthy of taking to the field. For survival, not so much. Also like the Cold Steel Bowie, it is a good one for defense and possibly survival if it is the only one. I also have a Heller Boot knife that is worthy of carrying. Also, a good fighting knife is good to carry for self defense, but survival or in the field, possibly if it is the only one one has. Another good idea is a multi-purpose tool. For fighting, not so much, for general purpose stuff, it is more handy than a Swiss Army knife - or is it?

Point is, find out what use you need for a knife and then decide upon four or five including your K-Bar.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have done two decent sized deer with a small Swiss Army Knife, Once by change and once by intention. Used the bone saw to cut the legs off one. Dont forget to bring your hunting knife next time.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I agree with the shorter blades for skinning game. But when in Texas around the Alamo, Bowies are the thing, but not for skinning animals. Always wanted a bowie but for a folder, what about this one?

Unknown.jpeg

·
Registered
30 Posts
I agree with the shorter blades for skinning game. But when in Texas around the Alamo, Bowies are the thing, but not for skinning animals. Always wanted a bowie but for a folder, what about this one?

View attachment 27872
I think even with the remove of blade length restriction laws in Texas, that knife is excessive. If the job at hand requires more than a four inch blade it's best completed with a fixed blade knife. The only reason to carry a folding knife with a blade longer than four inches is to show it off. If that's your intention, by all means, go ahead.

BTW, I'm pretty sure the only people around the Alamo in San Antonio who appreciate Bowie knifes are people with neck beards.

·
Banned
19 Posts
x2 on value of short blade. Carrying a Bowie knife on your hip IMO is the best way to id someone who hasn't field dressed many deer or larger animals. 3.5-4" blades are my go to cutters on deer in the field. When you're in the chest cavity, bigger knives tend to get snagged and just seem unwieldy in the tight quarters trying to get everything loose so you can roll the animal over and get everything out. snaptube telegram web

·
Registered
6 Posts
It does the job but I mainly stick to my working knives and keep the k-bar for 'collecting', last thing i want to do it put too much wear on the handle etc.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I sometimes get stuck taking the meat of the bone for the rookie hunters in our camp that never carved up anything let alone a deer. I have a butcher knife set that I've added to over the years. I consists of 1 straight and two curved boning knives(Victorinox) 3 skinning knives(Victorinox) , a 10" chefs knife (not sure brand) for cutting back straps and steaks or stew meat out of hind quarters. I got a 12" Scimitar I think its spelled that I bought on a lark cause I thought I's use it and I still go back to my 10"chef. I use a steel to touch up the blades once maybe twice while deboning a deer. I bring a Smiths Tri hone as a just in case if needed. I usually don't use the trihone on my knives, its usually for the other guys in camp who don't keep their blades up. I have a Tormek T-7 sharpener with a 1000 and a 4000 grit wheels that make my knives very sharp once I learned how to use the machine. The whole butcher set gets run through the Tormek with the 4000 wheel before I head out for deer season in PA.

Hunting knives are cool but when it gets down to cutting meat, I've found butcher knives to be the ticket to take it off the bone and processing meat. I take all my deer meat off the bone in camp because it packs up so much nicer and takes up so much less space in the cooler for the 1200 mile trip home. As a result I need a smaller cooler and less ice to get the meat home.

I stopped collecting knives because with all the hunting knives that I have, I keep going back to the short blades (Buck Knives) for gutting and sometimes skinning and the butcher set for carving up the meat. Just my .02

1 - 15 of 15 Posts