Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well It happened and someone broke one at last.

Karsten, the damage was due to my error - not your product. During a halt in a night training MRAP convoy movement, I failed to fully clear equipment and pinched the cheek rest between an approx 800lb door and the vehicle body. The cheek rest deformed slightly, but most noticable was what looked like an inch long crack along the top of the rear portion of the saddle. We had to pry the cheek rest off the weapon and didn't try to reinstall it, only the bolts were reinstalled. I believe the flex in the cheek rest prevented damage to the stock. I no longer have the damaged cheek rest, but need to get a replacement to the unit.

Again, my error, and I'll gladly pay for the replacement. Please advise.
Name and other stuff withheld but a replacement cheek rest was sent out today at N/C.

Karsten

·
Registered
661 Posts
So all that happened was it being pinched between a several ton truck and a 800lb door?

You guys really should look into using better quality materials. :p

·
Registered
525 Posts
Yup. Love the Karsten cheek pieces on our departmant rifles, and the service while testing and buying them was unmatched! I wish all gun and gun parts companies were that easy to deal with. Thanks Karsten!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
mr-lama said:
So all that happened was it being pinched between a several ton truck and a 800lb door?

If the door weighed 800lb then surely the vehicle must weigh more than several ton ? What vehicle has a door weighing 800lb.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hammie said:
mr-lama said:

If the door weighed 800lb then surely the vehicle must weigh more than several ton ? What vehicle has a door weighing 800lb.
Hammie,

My guess is the vehicle in question was something like the one in the linked video....New fangled APC to protect troops from I.E.D.'s

http://wn.com/MRAP_Training

Karsten

·
Registered
10 Posts
The MRAP you see sitting behind the PFC is called a MaxPro. Its built on a International dump truck frame with a V-hull. Without getting into the physics behind it they are awesome trucks. My personal truck is an RG-31 which I personally feel is far superior when it comes to protection however the MaxPro is much faster at top end and during acceleration. The one interesting thing about the doors on the MaxPro is they are air assisted opening and closing. Assuming the system was fully charged, that door would not "slam" shut. They are extremely heavy and I am fairly certain that is why they made them air assisted... wish my truck had that.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
A coworker recently bought a 700P at my suggestion. He liked the rifle, but wanted an adjustable cheek piece. I suggested a Karsten rest. I showed him a picture of the rest on a HS Precision stock and he agreed it looked as though it had been designed at the factory. I showed him the reviews on both the cheek rest and Karstens customer service. He was sold and decided to place an order for the “Câ€

·
Registered
90 Posts
Guys I feel my question may seem to be read as disrespectful in some way. Couldn't be further from it. From another post in "What do you do" you will see I work in the heavy vehicle industry and as a user of HGV and heavy plant e.g. excavators and loading shovels (some of which are ex military) the question was born from my mechanical interest and not from questioning the integrity of Mr Karsten.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Mrap doors

hammie said:
mr-lama said:

I was an MRAP driver over in Iraq we had the Mrap's with the special EFP armor on the sides as well. Those things actually had automatic hydrolic doors because they're so heavy. Great trucks, freakin huge and tricky to drive b/c we were going down these canal roads (I wish I had pics). Well just think of a road that's ment for a small pick up truck but you're driving a big ol dump truck down there yikes :shock: so yea the trucks that are big enough to have 800+ lb doors that would be Mrap and the different varients
looks like this

http://img.blog.yahoo.co.kr/ybi/1/24/56 ... 300303.jpg

·
Registered
550 Posts
Where can I buy a Karsten cheek rest? Your website says nothing about price, availability, or distributors.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re:

hammie said:
Guys I feel my question may seem to be read as disrespectful in some way. Couldn't be further from it. From another post in "What do you do" you will see I work in the heavy vehicle industry and as a user of HGV and heavy plant e.g. excavators and loading shovels (some of which are ex military) the question was born from my mechanical interest and not from questioning the integrity of Mr Karsten.
I didn't read it that way and thought it was just tongue in cheek humor...I don't figure anyone else looked at it as disrespectful either.

Heck I came here and posted the darn thing failed pokin fun at myself....Sorta like if ya have a tank and close your door on your rifle you might break the cheek rest. Okay so it is D#[email protected] Near Military Proof.

Karsten

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
6.5man said:
Where can I buy a Karsten cheek rest? Your website says nothing about price, availability, or distributors.
You can get them directly from me but hold off a bit and Mel will have them in the Sniper Central store and you can support the board at the same time.

Karsten

·
Registered
550 Posts
Karsten said:
6.5man said:
You can get them directly from me but hold off a bit and Mel will have them in the Sniper Central store and you can support the board at the same time.

Karsten
Oh ok, cool! I'll hold off.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My F/TR rifle arrives tomorrow and I was planning on ordering your cheek rest.
I'll hold off on ordering too and buy it from Mel. Thanks for the heads up Karsten.
So, any idea as to when ??
:D

·
Registered
740 Posts
So how can you find out what stocks these cheek rests will work on? I have a Rem 700P LTR. It has a smaller than standard HS stock. Will the Karsten still fit on it and is this HS filled with foam like other stocks. I guess my bottom line question is will a Karsten rest fit on it and will I be able to install it as easily as it appears to be on other stocks?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Yeah, I didn't mean to sound like it had to have foam. I was just asking if there was or would be anything I might be drilling through that I don't need to be drilling through. I don't want to diminish the integrity of the stock. Anyone out there know? I PMed you Karsten. Thought you might have some info for me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts