Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 4 years ago I ordered one and over time totally forgot I had. 4 years Keltec had rumored they could only make 4 or so a month so I figured I would never see it anyhow. Over the years I had read a lot of reports on earlier KSG's having a number of issues.

So later last summer I get a call from the LGS and they tell me they have my KSG in and wonder if I still want it or if I had found on elsewhere....I told them I would be up to have a look at it while I read everything posted about the current 3rd gen models. It seemed for the most part they had made a number of improvements and corrected any function issues.

So I opted to pick it up and have a go with this little beast.

I found a EoTeck sight (NIB) setting on a shelf in the shop so I now had a place for it. Added a Magpul FVG and flip up BUIS.

Rack the hell out of this some 400-500 times lubing it well with CLP Froglube. 1st trip out ran like a champ with no FTF or FTE but you need to rack it like a man as anything less will cause issues. The 1st person to shoot it was a gal and she had no problems with the slide or the recoil.

At 26.1 inches (before the Muzzle Brake) I got a lot of flak the next day about how useless and limited the SG was.....Only gonna work for HD.

Well that idea was shot down pretty quick with the EoTech and a Bull Pup shotgun hitting Clays faster than other could on the line.

It will hold 14+1 2/75 inch then I have some 2 inch and some Mini Shells that will get one up to 18+1 and 24+1 or any combo there in between....say 7 2.75 inch slugs and 12 mini Shells and what ever you like/need.

Karsten

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have one and it's fully tricked and it is by far and away the best home defense weapon possible.

I have the 1.75" mini slugs from Aguila and it fits 12 in each tube and one in the chamber. I run an Insight (Eotech) MRDS on the top and same flash hider as you. I also have a green lasermax uni on the front for low vis situations and it's absolutely DEADLY at home defense ranges.

I was very skeptical about Kel Tec as the only other KT I've owned was a P3AT and it was junk.

But I've been nothing short of pleased with my KSG. You'll get a lot of Nancy boys out there that complain about the reliability, but as you already pointed out, if you take your balls out of your purse and cycle it like a man, it functions flawlessly with ANY shotgun ammunition I've fed it.

I guess if you can't get it done with 23 rounds of 300 grain slugs at 1200 f/s aimed with a green laser in a package the size of an MP5, then you need more than an individual firearm.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Fatty,

I also had a very bad feeling about anything Keltec after having a P-11 break after only a couple hundred rounds.....Called KT and they seemed to know what happened...sent it back and haven't shoot it since.

One even worse is a Diamond Back DB9 that fied 1 round and broke.

I took a couple more friends to the range with the KSG, a boxed of mixed shells, some 2" and mini Shells. One FTE from a Newbie Limp Shucking and after that the day was great. 2 tubes of #4 and 00 Buck and it doesn't really bother me. 2" shells are pretty easy and dead on, Mini Shells run 100% and you could shot those all day long...if you could find and afford them.

Going to replace the plastic followers with some SS Aftermarket ones, clean the mag tubes and dry Lube everything.

I am not sure if the Muzzle Brake has any effect of not over the shorter Factory Barrel Nut.

All in all this is making out to be a great SD and HD shotgun....and it is a blast to blow people away shooting Trap/Skeet with it.

Karsten

·
Registered
145 Posts
You might think about taking a defensive shotgun class with it. That will highlight any issues it might have. It would ruin your day to find out the hard way. Be sure and tell them you're bringing a KSG so they know what to expect.

Just a note: you guys running the Aguila Mini shells for home defense. You should be aware of three things. First Aguila does not guarantee their minis will work in every pump shotgun. In fact they do recommend specific modifications for almost every type shotgun except the Winchester 1300. Second no recognized authority recommends them for defense - for several reasons. Last IF they were such a good idea, why, after being on the market for so many years does no other manufacturer offer them? Why are they so expensive when the only advantage they offer over regular rounds is round count? They are smaller, less powder, less shot but cost 3-5X what normal shot shells for defense cost. Why?

This is offered just because no recognized authority recommends the minis for defense. We should always present both sides for whatever we recommend. And in anticipation of comments from advocates of dozens of rounds of slugs in a gun, please go read about using full power slugs for home defense first. ;-)

·
Registered
145 Posts
I forgot this. I generally like Kel Tec. I understand they don't make high dollar, high quality stuff but I have two of their little PF-9's. I have nearly shot the barrel out on one. Never had a malfunction of any kind. Handles everything I've fed it - including +P+ rounds. I also like their Sub 2000. I think the KSG is their first foray into higher quality guns. I bet you will like it.

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
I just saw another story recently about a guy blowing his hand off with a ksg. Apparently the vertical foregrip comes loose and pop's off the front when they close the action, and then they mutilate their hand with a point blank shotgun blast.

That's happened 2 or 3 times now if memory serves. This shotgun does certainly cater to the uneducated inexperienced zombie-shooter crowd, so it isn't really surprising. Not saying that applies to anyone here, but a quick tour around some KSG threads on other forums reveals some of the most horrific lack of firearm experience I've ever witnessed. I applaud keltec's inventiveness, but after shooting one of these... I'll stick with my benelli's.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just saw another story recently about a guy blowing his hand off with a ksg. Apparently the vertical foregrip comes loose and pop's off the front when they close the action, and then they mutilate their hand with a point blank shotgun blast.

That's happened 2 or 3 times now if memory serves. This shotgun does certainly cater to the uneducated inexperienced zombie-shooter crowd, so it isn't really surprising. Not saying that applies to anyone here, but a quick tour around some KSG threads on other forums reveals some of the most horrific lack of firearm experience I've ever witnessed. I applaud keltec's inventiveness, but after shooting one of these... I'll stick with my benelli's.
Sorry to say I am not of the Zombie Shooter crowd you speak of. As for someone shooting their hand I have only heard of one person and as I recall it was a single plastic pin style VFG intended for use on an AR15 style rail....

Also there have been some reports of the lower plastic rail breaking a tooth here and there caused by the use of a VFG....Hence I added a Alloy rail cover over the plastic rail and use a Magpul VFG which uses 2 through screws to attach it.

I am not here to say the KSG is the end all shotgun and everyone needs to own one. While many of the haters and those with issues due seem to be new the Pump Guns period and many issues could be Operator Error like weak racking and what not.

Those that are having success with the KSG might be a little more experienced where others seem to have guns that wont fire more than 2 rounds with an issue.

I know recently I took a friend to the range and let him shoot my 1911 CCW and he had nothing but FTF issues that I have never had.....1st time he had shot a 1911.

Years ago I shot IPSC with a guy that had plenty of experience with a 1911 and he shot himself in the left hand with a .45 at the start buzzer.

Stuff whens to everyone in one way or another.

Not here to sell anyone anything just pass on my experience with something many either know know about or have only read bad reports.

Karsten

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a note: you guys running the Aguila Mini shells for home defense. You should be aware of three things. First Aguila does not guarantee their minis will work in every pump shotgun. In fact they do recommend specific modifications for almost every type shotgun except the Winchester 1300. Second no recognized authority recommends them for defense - for several reasons. Last IF they were such a good idea, why, after being on the market for so many years does no other manufacturer offer them? Why are they so expensive when the only advantage they offer over regular rounds is round count? They are smaller, less powder, less shot but cost 3-5X what normal shot shells for defense cost. Why?

This is offered just because no recognized authority recommends the minis for defense. We should always present both sides for whatever we recommend. And in anticipation of comments from advocates of dozens of rounds of slugs in a gun, please go read about using full power slugs for home defense first.
I tired a couple of my other SG's and I will agree that they do Not Not Feed in anything other than my KSG.

As for Recognized Authority....I don't recall any specific Authority giving out the best advise on over all anything.......Hell I hate a 9MM and many depts are issuing them right and left....but who am I to say.

As for Aguila Mini Shells I would not want to stand in front of one after what I have seen shooting them.

1 3/4" Mini 12-ga shotgun shells. Min ibuck shot loads with 7 pellets of 4 Buck and 4 pellets of 00 Buck at 1200 fps. Low-recoil and a great choice for home defense.

Again, I could care less if you want a KSG or hate the KSG.........I am giving an honest review of my experiences and nothing more.

Wait until a few people find my post on the 870 compared to my 20 inch Mossberg M590-A1.

Karsten

·
Registered
324 Posts
I had and sold a ksg. It ran fine but was way way to slow to reload.

Any firearm can fail and any firearm can hurt someone who makes a mistake.

·
Registered
145 Posts
As for Recognized Authority....I don't recall any specific Authority giving out the best advise on over all anything.......Hell I hate a 9MM and many depts are issuing them right and left....but who am I to say.
There are recognized authorities: FBI, U.S. Military, IWBA, thousands of Law Enforcement agencies across America - and in other countries, and many others. These are people who don't write about using guns for defense on forums, but must use them daily and at times must use them on other human beings. They know what works and what doesn't. You don't have to believe them. Nobody is criticizing your choice. I am just stating facts.

As for Aguila Mini Shells I would not want to stand in front of one after what I have seen shooting them.
That is getting a bit old. I've said it before and will (sigh) once again. "I wouldn't want to stand in front of flatulence after a bean supper. That has nothing to do with whether or not that particular load will save my life when I need it to." Again, if you're sure they work for you, use them.

1 3/4" Mini 12-ga shotgun shells. Min ibuck shot loads with 7 pellets of 4 Buck and 4 pellets of 00 Buck at 1200 fps. Low-recoil and a great choice for home defense.
May I ask you though to answer in your mind a very simple question. I don't want to know the answer. Here goes:

Sure Mini shells might work. They might prove many thousands of hours of scientific research and testing wrong. They might invalidate all the real world experience of over a hundred years of law enforcement and military investigations into the use of ammunition to stop a fight. They really might. But...why would you feel it necessary to take a chance that they are all right and you might be tragically wrong?

I don't know about you, but should I face a day, again, where my life hangs on my choosing the most effective stuff on the planet, I am not going to risk my life on might. I want proven. YMMV

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Never Mind....You have blow this all out what this post was intended to be. I never said anything about the Mini Shells being my only flipping loa....I stated the KSG shots everything from Mini Shells, 2 inch and 2.75 inch without an issues.

Close this thread and be done with it.......Snipers Hide all over again.

Karsten

·
Registered
145 Posts
Sorry...my mistake. I could have sworn you posted #9. I must have gotten confused. Nothing personal.

·
Registered
140 Posts
First, this isn't meant to be a knock on anyone's choice in firearms. Just wanted to share my main gripe about the KSG.

The price is too high. For what they are going for around here you can find a used Benelli M1. Or two Remington 870's with money left over for ammo.

Now, if the KSG was priced around $399 or less I'd probably own one.

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Wow. Ratchet it down a bit there chief. No need to be so damn defensive.

Sorry to say I am not of the Zombie Shooter crowd you speak of.
I didn't say you were. Where did I say you were? Point in fact I even specifically stated that didn't necessarily apply to anyone here. However, your response to my post causes me to question your experience, where I did not before. Someone with a great deal of expertise typically doesn't have an ego so easily bruised as to cause them to respond in the way you did. Perhaps you can illuminate your experience with shotguns for us? Courses attended? Certifications received? Etc? Perhaps you have a thing or two to teach us/me about shotgunning... but I'll need to have a peek at that resume before I pass judgement one way or the other.

As for someone shooting their hand I have only heard of one person and as I recall it was a single plastic pin style VFG intended for use on an AR15 style rail....
It has happened at least twice, which is easily confirmed.
A devastating accident with the Kel-Tec KSG - The Gun Writer
Another KSG Hand Accident/Negligent Discharge With Injury - The Firearm Blog

I am not here to say the KSG is the end all shotgun and everyone needs to own one.
I didn't say you said that. Where did I say you did?

I simply think it's noteworthy that at least two people have blown their hands off with a KSG. Also that KSG horror stories are not hard to find on the internet. Both of those are facts, and the shotgun hasn't even been out very long. Hardly any of them in circulation. Benelli's on the other hand have been around in the states for a couple decades, with thousands in circulation. Can you show me one instance of someone blowing their hand off? Can you point to tons of horrifically bad experiences with them failing in various capacities?

Sure, it could be that all the people having problems with KSG's might just be fools, but I sincerely doubt it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
+1 to what Orkan wrote. I'm not ever going to question anyone's choice of weapon. I do expect that as responsible gun owners who either use/carry them daily, or trust them to defend our homes and families, that we be honest when we talk about their good or bad points. For instance, I inherited a Lorcin 380 pistol. Would I recommend it for home defense or EDC? Not on your life, literally and every other way. Based on what I know about the Lorcin I own, no one should ever trust their lives to it. If someone just has to have a Lorcin and wants to EDC one, fine. But when they make statements like "Lorcin 380's are the best defensive pistols ever made" I'm going to speak up - and so should everyone. Choosing a Lorcin is not wise, especially when there are so many much better choices out there.

Same issue with ammunition. No one has to feel obligated to use recommended and highly rated ammo to defend their life.

But at the same time I feel we need to be responsible and not make blanket statements about ammunition that may or may not accomplish the most important task required of it - saving lives. We owe it to speak out about stuff that might, but most likely might not work. There are too many people who believe everything they read on the Internet. I believe that when they come across a discussion about something as important as protecting themselves and their family they shouldn't read comments based on nothing but rumor or meaningless observations. I believe every one of us should not be insulted when our beliefs are challenged, but should seek out true facts. The only personal part is if, God forbid, you ever have to use that gun and ammo and it fails you.

Of course, it goes without saying that it would be equally bad if someone chose the gun and ammo you recommended, had to use it one day and it's failure led to a tragedy, and they in turn blamed you for bad advice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts