Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the term "short cutting" a chamber mean its just made to extra tight tollerances... like i have allways beleived... or does it mean they didnt finish cutting the chamber? I just want to make sure i have it right...

*The following was edit copied edit pasted from the following link* http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/RapidCat/ ... anyId=1246

"NEW!!!NEW!!!NEW!!!NEW!!!

Now available to the public for the first time EVER.

M1A/M14 DMR (Designated Marksman Rifle) Contour Barrels.

Stainless Steel, 1 in 12 twist, short chambered within a few thousandth's of a finished chamber. ONLY $400.00!!! (plus shipping and handling)

These barrels are in between our Heavy Pattern and the original G.I. Pattern.
They are 1.100 diameter (like our heavy barrels) but then taper down to .808 so you can use your standard G.I. Op rod guide.
AVAILABLE FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY!!! ACT NOW!!!

The left barrel is our G.I. Pattern, the middle barrel is the DMR contour used by the United States Marine Corps on their Designated Marksmen Rifle and the barrel on the right is our Heavy Pattern barrel. "

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
"Short Cut", "Rough Chamber", or "Short Chambered" all mean the same thing, they have not been fully chambered. They do this so that you can take the barrel, mount it to your action, and then do the finish chambering and head spacing. This allows them to "mostly" chamber the barrel and not require your action which is needed for final head spacing. You can actually do the finish chamber with a hand reamer without a lathe if you know what you are doing....

so, for these barrels, you would buy one, mount it on your action, and then do the finish chamber and head space. Of course, it would require a reamer and head space gauges, or a quick trip to your gun smith.

MEL

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good thing i asked... i was going to buy one next week... the one on the far right looks fairly heavy and i have an old M-14 with a regular GI barrel that i use to just shoot tens of thousands of rounds of that old surplus junk from the mid east through... so its not very accurate any more (i have about 25,000 rounds through it). Had it since i was 17 when they were real cheap. Ive always wanted a nice M-21 style rifle but never got around to upgrading the M-14 i have... but i figure since the reciever i have right now is just some plain old military issue peice that is somewhat worn... id just get a new reciever. But it all costs $$$... wich i seem to be out of at the moment :? .

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
If your smith can't do it, I was gonna buy a finish reamer from Brownells. I had thought my Douglas barrel would need it but it didn't.

Its 110 bucks...looks like a cleaning rod with a shell casing on the bottom and a T handle on the top. You just chamber it, pull and twist the T handle, and push the bolt. When the bolt closes on the the cutter and it chambers it completely, your headspace should be good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts