Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had the oportunity to take a look at some of the KT Ordnance 80% recievers, both an AR15 and AR10. These receivers are CNC milled from a solid block of aluminum, and by golly, these things are sweet. Here is a picture of the AR10

I should be getting more details on these in the next few days, this could be a very promising rifle building project for those DIY people out there.

MEL

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
yep thats an AR reciever
i woulndt have the slightest clue how to assemble that to looking like a real AR reciever
just tell me though, since i dont have the know how to do it, could i buy the reciever and with someone else's help make my reciever, then put any parts on it and any trigger group ie 3 rd burst or fully auto... no intention of doing this at the moment just curious though
more realisticially what about a CQB ar and order a 10.5" barrel?

could i (at 19) get a 1911 reciever and have someone help me make it into a serviciable reciever
then me buy the 1911 parts that dont require any skills to put in?
if its not legal ill just have to wait till im 21 and then another 8 weeks for the damn pistol permit

if questioned about one of these firearms how do you prove its registered since its NOT registered and all that kind of crap?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

...its a tad shiny isn't it?

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, no problem having someone help you finish it off. The receivers come with all the instructions to complete them, and if there needs to be a hole drilled, it has already been started so you know EXACTLY where it needs to be drilled. etc etc

The registration part is interesting. I've been told (but do not know if its fact) that because you can legally manufacture your own weapon, (just cannot resell them) they do not need to be registered. You would have to talk to someone in your state/country that knows the gun laws.

MEL

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
It is perfectly legal for you to manufacture your own firearm providing that:

1. It is legal for you to own a firearm;

2. You are not creating an NFA item;

3. You are not creating firearms for resale. This would make you a manufacturer and you would need a manufacturer's license.

4. You obey your state's laws.

In a nutshell, you may make your own firearm as long as you can legally own a gun and as long as it is for your own use. If you wish to transfer a home-made firearm, there is a regime whereby you can do so, but it is a drag. It is best to just build it and keep it yourself.

Now, I recently completed a KT Ordnance version of the AR-15. The receiver was anodized at home using a kit from Caswell's Plating. With the right equipment it is very easy to anodize aluminium.

The KT-10 and KT-15 can be very easily built using a drill press and handtools.

In any event, KT Ordnance will have open house events and you will be able to build your own AR on KT's CNC machine. KT will put your receiver into the machine and adjust the fixtures, and you can press the magic green button. And presto, one CNC machined AR. You will be the manufacturer, because you were one who pressed the button.

I will send Mel, some pictures of my finished build and I hope he can post them here.

Finally, if anyone is interested in learning how to build an AR-15 from a KT 80% frame, please e mail me and I will send you the instructions. [email protected].

Mad.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
The only thing that Mad didn't cover is in regards to constructing non-sporting type of firearms. If that is done you need to make sure that you use the proper number of US parts to make sure that the rifle passes the qualifications set by BATF.

If you are interested in what they are, you can do some really boring reading of the rules on the ATF site. However it is not a problem with regards to AR style rifles, since probably all parts you will buy will end up being made in the US. You really only encounter this problem when trying to have AK, HK, IMI, etc. type clones manufactured.

JRP3

PS. Here is a link to a GB for HK94 receivers, good quality. If anyone is interested in getting in on it there is still a week or two left. I am getting 3 receivers myself.

Feel free to delete the PS message and link since this isn't related to the main focus of this site! :roll:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=121&t=205549&page=1

1 - 6 of 6 Posts