Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I was in a gun store in Albany NY, checking out tactical rifles. After looking at a Remington PSS and a FN PBR (both very nice) I inquired about a third heavy barrel bolt gun they had on the rack. The owner of the shop imeddiattly told me that it was a Howa 1500, and that it was basically a Weatherby Vanguard. He went on to say that the gun was a production overrun from a batch of guns made for the LAPD, and that there were only a few of them avaliable for sale in the whole US of A. He wanted $500 bucks for it and said that he would knock a couple of bucks off since i'm "on the job". It appeared to be new. Overall the quality of the gun seemed on par with the Rem and the FN. In fact I think that (unlike the Rem) it even had a metal floorplate/trigger guard. The only thing I noticed about the gun that I didn't like was the Stock. It appeared to be a fairly unremakable "Sporter " type Stock, like you'd see on a Rem ADL.
So what's the deal? Does anyone think this guy is B.S.ing me about the LAPD thing? Anyone have experience with these guns? Will these guns take Weatherby accessories, particularly aftermarket stocks?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I dont see how such a major police force is using a howa 1500... but its always possible. :? I would think they use a much higher end rifle... such as a Tac-Ops.

BC

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Sounds kinda low budget for LAPD

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The rifle must be on an approved list... that has been tested and approved... just like all pistols the officers carry must be.

BC

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
caver101

I actually have one on order too, from CDNN. The one I handeled in Albany looked and felt great! Looked high quality through and through. The one I'm waiting on has a 22in barrel. I think the one I handeled had a 20in. They had it marked as $899, but the guy said I could have it for $850. The one from CDNN will probably cost me about $100 less than that. BTW they also had a SPR(?) . They wanted $1200+ for it. That was a beautiful weapon as well.
I tried to order a Win Stealth II from CDNN a couple of weeks back. The order got messed up some how (probably my dealers fault) , and by the time they straightened it out, they were out of stock. Hopefully things will go better this time. The FN is probably a much better weapon anyhow (yes I know FN and Win are one and the same these days).

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I don't mean to make you sick or anything but I am getting mine for $649+$13 for shipping (and yes they are new). It is the 20". From this company you can get the 20" or 24" for $649, it is a limited time offer - if you need info let me know.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
If memory serves me correctly, LAPD SWAT is using Robars.... LA Sheriff, as mentioned, uses Tac-Ops as well as many other agencies in SoCal and around the country.

Was the Howa a heavy barrel? I do not know of any howa heavy barrel rifles with a synthetic stock. All the varmint rifles have a laminated stock.... perhaps it is something abnormal?

MEL

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
caver101
WHAT THE!!! only kidding. Actually I'm kinda commited to CDNN at this point, but let me know where your getting yours (in case CDNN falls through).

MELE
It had a heavy contour barrel, a phosphate finish, and it definitly had a synthetic stock. It said HOWA 1500 on the left hand side of the receiver and I did not see any LAPD markings on the weapon. That being said, it looked like a real decent rifle for the price. :)

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
I've not heard of any Howa rifles built as such, but that does not mean that it is not ligit, but perhaps more likely this particular rifle was built by a smith, perhaps even for a LE contract. I did a breif search on the net but turned up nothing on these...

MEL

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
mele said:
Was the Howa a heavy barrel? I do not know of any howa heavy barrel rifles with a synthetic stock. All the varmint rifles have a laminated stock.... perhaps it is something abnormal?

MEL
Ive seen a few Howa M-1500 Varminter .308 rifles with a synthetic stock.... but that was a few years ago. They had 20" heavy barrels with a 1:10 twist with a target crown. They were priced at $490... i wanted to buy one but i had never heard of the company or rifle before so i wasnt sure what to expect... and i wasnt about to blow 500 bucks on a rifle ive never heard anything about. Looking back on it now... i would have loved to have bought both of them at that price.

BC

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
caver101
The barrel on the FN I saw looked pretty heavy, although it probably looked heavier than it real was due to it's short length (20 in). I think FN advertises the PBR as having a medium heavy barrel (whatever that is).
The stock on the PBR apperars to be one of those Houge "Overmolded" stocks. It appears to be textured on the pistol grip and fore end. If you've ever handeled a handgun with the soft Houge grips on it, it's about the same. People seem to like them or hate them, I like em. The only down side I see is that it would probably be pretty difficult, if not impossible, to paint them.
I should have mine by thrusday or friday. I'll post some pictures if you want.

I think Howa used to make the shotguns and rifles that S&W used to market back in the 80's. my department has a couple of S&W 3000's in the armory. Nobody seems to care much for them.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
YES PLEASE DO POST PICS!!!! :D :D :D :D

Mine should be here in a week or two, but I can not wait that long.............must ..........see.........pics..............

There are not a lot of GOOD detailed pics floating around on the net of this rifle.

Thanks a ton!!

·
Registered
611 Posts
lapd rifle

well I know that Howa had a sunthetic stocked Heavy/varmint model in .223 22-250, .308 and possibly .243 about 2 or 3 years ago and price was about $400.00 dont know/remember who had them but they were available wanted one but waited too long and they were marked HOWA 1500 black stock dull matte type blue as I recall . they could ahave been special run also saw some at the market hall gun show in Dallas,TX same time frame different dealers

1 - 18 of 18 Posts