Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have advise on where to get one put on a remington 700..... I know Mel uses tactical operations for his but I can't find info on thier site. HD rifles I guess does it too but I have no experiance with them.

Thoughts...suggestions....

·
Registered
187 Posts
Are they (TacOps) or anyone able to put a large bolt handle on a Ruger M77 Mk II? I don't see why they wouldn't be able to but I was just wondering. Thanks.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
!

HD Rifles seems pretty cool.....I just called them...they pin it for more strenght put on the big bolt knob and ceramic coat it for $150.00. He said I will have it back in 1-2 weeks.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Any of these quality gun makers shouldn't have a problem putting the large bolt handle on a ruger. The only question may be if it interfears by hitting the stock or anything like that (which I doubt).

As FLEA said about HD rifles, I would go with one of the shops that does it right. You do not want the bolt handle tac welded on, it wont last. The pins are good. Tac-ops actually chops off the old handle, then drill and taps a threaded stud into the bolt handle, and then threads the bolt knob on. So you literally can screw the knobs on or off. If a better contour knob shows up sometime, just un screw the old, put on the new. (Though they only currently have one bolt knob shape)

MEL

·
Registered
522 Posts
Flea,

I have seen GA's work and they do a great job as does TBA however I do agree with Mel that as long as they follow the correct procedures then it should not be a problem as far as worksmanship. To reiterate Mel's post:

It is usually the norm that the replacement knob is affixed by cutting off the factory knob with a 5/16" hollow face mill and then applying 5/16"-24 threads to the bolt handle shank. The numbers change but the general operation remains the same.

I went with Texas Brigade Armory just because they are closer to me here in Texas. It is owned and run by Mr. Lau, former Officer in Charge of the Ft. Hood Army Marksmanship Unit. What you might consider is the price and which handle to go with. GA, TBA, and Tac Ops all make their own custom handle. They will install others of your choosing of course.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
!

I found a pic of HD work and it looks like they do it the same way

Anyone hear something bad about that company I have not?

Hell I will have it done by "billy bobs uzi hut" if they do the best work. Just trying to get other thoughts or suggestions.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
FLEA, it sounds like they do good work, though I have no personal experience with them. I think this might be a good test for them. Better to have them screw up a bolt knob then to screw up a rebarrel or action work. We would all be interested in hearing the results.

TBA was mentioned, and they do excellent work also. Mike Lau has a very fine reputation.

MEL

·
Registered
522 Posts
I got my bolt back from Texas Brigade Armory and they did a superb job. I don't have to tell Mel this but I though you would find it interesting Flea. I will post a photo as soon as I can.

·
Registered
522 Posts
It looks great! It looks exactly like mine too! I suppose that if they do their job correctly the outcome will be enhanced handling capabilities for your rifle. The only thing that TBA did not to is install the three pins for added strenght. Does it feel more rigid Flea? Is that the black ceramic coat that HD does? What parts of the bolt exactly do they coat? I have spoken to them about the pins and am interested in doing this to mine as well.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
!

Specter:

Yeah the thing feels rock solid......not that I have ever chambered a round in what I would call a "gental" fashion but it feels like the bolt on a larger sized rifle.....like a 338.

Yeah they ceramic coated the whole thing except the back end....very nice....I tool better pictures but they are like 3.5 megs .....might take our dial up surfers about an hour just to view it :wink:

I try to take some cleaner ones later.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts