Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if scopes mounted higher off of the bore than others are inherently less accurate because of the height. If so, why?Thanks for any info.

-joejack

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
I've found so far that the higher the scope is off the bore, the more adjustments you're gonna use up if you can't shim the mount to point lower. I found that out from mounting optics on SMLE rifles. As for being inherently less accurate I can't tell.

Practical accuracy takes a hit because of ergonomics. Your cheek mount will be a chin mount and its consistency will suck.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
If talking purely accuracy, mounting a scope higher will not effect the accuracy of the rifle. It will put the scope a bit more off centerline from the bore and require adjusting more in order to zero at closer ranges, but thats about all. The cheek weld point made by muzzle is a very good one also.

MEL

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Pet peeve

Large objective scopes currently in vogue in Europe are my pet peeve.

Buy a Sako rifle and try to find a low Sako scope mount. They don't exist!! It seems that everyone in Europe uses a "moon scope" for use in night hunting.

I only wish that someone over there would use a low mounted scope. But Leupold make a low Sako mount.

Mad

1 - 4 of 4 Posts