Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

i bought 2000 once fired LC 7.62 brass.. thinking I could reload them.. so after cleaning and terrible de-crimping..

I loaded 120 of them with sierra match 155 and 168gr.. went to the range and had a terrible jam on my ar10 type rifle a dpms lr-308 w/ a 24" sass 1-10

I had to dig the bolt out .. the LC brass seems to have a thicker neck case than the black hills match.. which loaded fine

is there anyway to resize these LC to chamber in the .308?

thanks

·
Registered
804 Posts
just to clear things up, you did or did not run the cases through a sizing die?

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Might need a small base die. Are there scratches or marks about 1/4" above the rim of the case?

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
The sizing die was not set up correctly.

Any new batch of cases should go through the sizing die and then be run through your chamber to insure that they fit. Brass that was fired in other than this chamber should always be checked in this chamber before leaving the sizing station. Sometimes it takes a couple of passes through the sizing die and over the lube pad before the case is fully sized (but not over sized).

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
hatesonion said:
I had to dig the bolt out ..
thanks
And just how did you do this? It's quite likely, if you didn't use a stuck case tool, that you damaged the rifle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi everyone

yes i sized the brass.. but did not test it in to gun prior.. hence the jam.. I was sure I would have no trouble.. because I was firing some german surplus 7.62 with no trouble.. not the case

to dig the brass out.. I haver a semi-auto.. so I pryed the bolt back with a screw driver.. the round finally came out

tonight.. I tried to resize the brass again.. and used massive amount of case lube. I now have a stuck case in the die. I have to drill and tap to pull it out.. this brass is just strange.. I have none of these trouble with anything else..

at this point I might just load up on Black Hills brass.. I have no trouble with.. this military brass is not working out

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Huh, thats weird. I guess it could be M240 brass all stretched out like Aix said.

How is your sizing die set up? Down to the shell holder and then another quarter turn in?

I use either Lee case lube hand applied, or my copy of the dillon lube, lanolin and 99% isopropyl alcohol if I don't feel like doing each case one at a time, and I haven't had a stuck one yet.

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
You need a Dillon case gage, and a small base die to load for that semi auto. Size every case with the SB die, trim and check them in the case gage. After you seat the bullet's, drop them in the case gage again. The case gage is the minimum spec for the chamber, if it fits that gage, It'll fit your chamber, unless It's out of spec.

If the problem persists, PM me, I'll dispose of that brass for you.

Rigger

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
update on this LC brass issue..

I now switched over to the last 308 die i had left.. RCBS I think part of the problem was the case lube I was using called One-Shot .. I now am doing one at a time with Imperial redding lube.. and the resizing is working..

I made 2 test dummy bullets.. and they chambers no trouble.. Im using the wilson case gage.. and after resizing everyone has to be trimmed.. so there is serious manual labor with military brass.. combined with cleaning.. removing crimp.. case resizing..and trimming.. it might take me a year to get these 2000 ready ;)

NOw.. i notice tho.. at the top of the bottle neck.. after resizing.. im getting small indents when doing the full case rezize..

is there anyway to prevent this?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I think what you are describing are dents caused by hydraulic pressure from the lubricant being compressed between you case and the die. RCBS dies have a small hole in the side to help prevent that. You need to clean out the die. I think they suggest a small paper clip and some solvent. I know you just had a stuck die, but if you are getting dents you are using too much lubricant. Redding Imperial wax is good stuff, a little dab will do you

Shane

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok.. this is a brand new die.. i might be using too much for sure.. because Im paranoid about getting another stuck.. and everyone says.. stuck cases only happen, when not using enough case lube.

ill tone down on the case lube and see what happens

shane4639 said:
I think what you are describing are dents caused by hydraulic pressure from the lubricant being compressed between you case and the die. RCBS dies have a small hole in the side to help prevent that. You need to clean out the die. I think they suggest a small paper clip and some solvent. I know you just had a stuck die, but if you are getting dents you are using too much lubricant. Redding Imperial wax is good stuff, a little dab will do you

Shane

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no wonder it was so cheap... its machine gun brass
.. i think youre right

MikeMiller said:
Dont buy machine gun brass in future.

Now take small base sizer die and resize all the brass so it will work

Next time read a few things and you wont do the obvious screw up

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
As has been noted, the shoulder dimple is too much lube. if you are using the wax, just don't apply any to the shoulder. Just the case body and neck.

I put my brass in a ziplock and spray it with my home made lube, and it gets the dimples...but they are cosmetic.

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
What's your brew Muzz?

I have just switched from wax to RCBS Case Slick. It comes in a pump spray bottle. With the wax I was getting dimples after 15-20 rounds as the wax would build up in my die. This was unacceptable, who wants to be stopping to clean out your die every 20 pieces of brass when you have 10,000 pieces of brass to size. :roll:

I switched to Case Slick and get no dimples, It's great stuff. I also like One shot, but this case slick is awesome. I hear good things bout the Rooster Labs stuff too.

Rigger

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Yeah man that sounds like a huge pain in the butt.

I'm using 1 part pure lanolin to 4 or 5 parts 99% isopropyl alcohol. You can use 91% if that is all the drugstore has though.

You have to heat them up to get them to heat well, so what I do is heat up a pot of water on the stove, and then take it outside and put it on the porch. Take a mason or jam jar, put the alcohol and lanolin in it, and then place that jar in the pot of water so the water heats it up.

When the mason jar is warm enough, tighten the lid and shake it like a mother.

It's really good stuff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is your case trim length within specs? Too long of a neck can cause issues. I agree with the others on the dimpled cases is using too much lube, and the M240 machine gun brass seems to cause a ton of problems with handloaders.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts