Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Mele,
I think I remember you mentioning that you went to Quantico for some LE sharpshooter training awhile back.

I also remember you mentioning you felt your scope put you at a disadvantage.
I'm guessing everyone brought their own rifles and set ups to the event.
What sorts of glass were the other guys using?

Just curious.

-snowy

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Well, I didn't go to Quantico, they came to us!

It was a resident SWAT sniper school put on by the HRT boys. One HRT instructor plus 2 additional regional FBI SWAT Sniper Instructors. The school was put on here in Missoula and was a regional school with students from around Montana, Utah, Idaho and Eastern Washington.

In terms of the scopes, most were Leupold tacticals. There were a few others, like shephard, and few others. The 1 MOA elevation and .5 MOA windage was a slight hurdle when engaging in a law enforcement setting (100 yards or less).

MEL

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm basically trying to bait an opinion out of you. :)

What optics would you have used if you had your pick of anything?
I know what LE friends of mine like, but they all come from LE training and have little or no interest in anything past 300 Yards.

I'm wondering what the sniper would choose for an LE application.

That goes for anyone who may be reading this as well.

-snowy

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Come on, you know I do not like to ever just pick ONE scope, or ONE rifle, or one of anything. We all know there are many high quality tools that will do the job equally well.

For my ideal scopes, I like 30mm tubes, 40-44mm objective, one piece tubes, side paralax adjust, mil-dots (FFP preferred), and at least 70 MOA elevation adjustment. Optical quality is of upmost importance also

Some of the scopes that fit this (not all have FFP reticles):

Leupold Mk4 LR 3.5-10 & 4.5-14
leupold PR 4.5-14
Nikon Tactical
Zeiss

some new ones that might make the list
Sightron SS 3.5-10 & 4.5-14
Burris Tacticals

there are others I have missed...

MEL

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Mel, how was the school, I may be going to one of those this year, or maybe in 2006, just depends on the FBI schedule and availability. Nice to have on the resume for court purposes.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Mel - don't forget that you can get most of the US Optics line of scopes with the 44mm reground objective. :D

JeffVN

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Very true Jeffvn, us optics has some nice scopes that meet my desires also!

In terms of the school, it was well worth it. I think it would make a great follow up sustainment school for military snipers, as most everything that is taught fits very will with the limited ROE conflicts we tend to find outselves in. It was a POST certified school and I learned a lot about the LE side of things.

MEL

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know there is no single scope, "it's not the instrument it's the player," etc.
I was just picking your brain.

Thanks for the insight.

-snowy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts