Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to trim my .308 cases. Some from the last batch are quite long.

Can I trim before I resize/decap? If so, I don't have to break down the Dillon toolhead or get a separate die to put in my single-stage press.

But it *looks* as though the Lee trimming equipment requires the case to be decapped first.

Thanks for clarifying!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

Ordering a Universal Decapping die so I leave the Dillon head set up ... and the solution works for the .223's as well!
:D

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I chuck the shell holder for the Lee case trimmer in a cordless drill on low speed. It sits nicely upright on the battery.

I use the ball cutter from Lee, it's more comfortable. You deprime, then the length gauge pin indexes on the case holder through the primer hole, that'w why you deprime first. Great, simple system.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
While we're on topic of the lee case trimmers, I use them and get excellent results but I was curious as to what the lathe style case trimmers offer over the lee model.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Sniper_Beast said:
While we're on topic of the lee case trimmers, I use them and get excellent results but I was curious as to what the lathe style case trimmers offer over the lee model.
Adjustability. The lathe style trimmers allow you to change the length you trim the cases to. With the Lee, it trims the cases to the same set length every time.

·
Registered
155 Posts
i've noticed that brass tends to stretch when full length sizing , so you should trim after F/L sizing,but I notice when using a bushing neck sizer brass tends to shrink.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts