Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi -

Hoping someone here can help me. I am currently selling a rifle scope (Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40) on ebay. I have a Russian bidder who would like to buy it... I was unwilling to ship overseas but he asks that I send it to a friend of his in Los Angeles, and says that they will take care of sending it to him.

Does anyone know if there are legal issues with selling a scope to someone outside of the US? Apologies if this is a stupid question; I'm just not familiar with regulations regarding firearm accessories.

Thanks in advance for any help!

BTW, great site!

- Adam

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
No, as far as I know, there are no legalities involved. But, be sure he pays in a currency and method you can confirm for sure. There are a lot of foriegn scams on the internet right now.

MEL

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mele said:
No, as far as I know, there are no legalities involved. But, be sure he pays in a currency and method you can confirm for sure. There are a lot of foriegn scams on the internet right now.

MEL
Mel,

Thanks for the hints and the warning - the buyer will be using paypal, so that'll let me verify the funds. I'm reviewing ebay's policy's now but I haven't seen anything else that suggests I can't transact with the buyer.

Thanks!
- Adam

·
Registered
524 Posts
Its ok

Its ok.....night vision scopes and products must be sold only in the US though.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
exporting scopes

CAUTION!

You must get an export liscense to send rifle scopes outside the US now! Living here in Germany, about two years ago, BassPro-Cabela's-and my main guy in Texas, all sent me notice that I could no longer buy scopes from them, and I am an AMERICAN.

I would almost bet a paycheck the Russians friend would stuff it in a box and mark it differently.

YOU having knowledge of this could, technicaly, get you in a heap of hot water with the State Dept. I wouldn't risk it. Let him buy an Meopta or something.

When I get back to Oklahoma you can sell it to me.........Jon

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the assistance from all of you. I can't seem to find a definite, agreed-upon answer as far as Russia goes, so I'm just going to block the user from bidding to be sure I don't break any laws. A bit overprotective maybe, but better safe than sorry -- and it's not exactly the best time to be messing with export restrictions.

I appreciate the help from you all - thanks.

- Adam

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
scope export

Hi,
I live in Switzerland and have ordered scopes in the U.S.A. trough internet recently and had to wait for the export permit to be done,this was for tactical AND hunting scopes.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Friends and I have had scopes sent to New Zealand with no problems.....however some US sellers will and some won't ship.
We get the impression that some are unsure of the rules and see us as being in the too hard basket!....?

I can't see that the US State department could have a problem with shipping to New Zealand as our SAS troops are with your guys in Afganistan.....as of course are Australian troops.

·
Registered
565 Posts
There's a lot of paper and red tape to get a "military grade" scope out of the US - even to a fellow NATO country. :? In practice that excludes scopes with mil-dot reticules and all the USO scopes - and probably others, too.

I got my mil-dot NXS from a European distributer in Germany. Originally, my dealer intended to order a huge batch of NF scopes fromt he US. Would've meant a cheaper scope for me...but no. I don't live in the US, so I must be a potential terrorist if I'm to believe the US State Department. :roll:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts