Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recieved my Les Baer Recon Tactical .338 Lapua a few days ago. I am very impressed. The fit and finish is flawless and it is remarkably accurate. I have read a lot of negative things about the gun, so I thought it was only justice to speak on its behalf as an actual owner. Will get another one some day in another caliber. :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way, I know everyone will want to know if the gun will shoot to the claimed 10 shots in .5 inch. It came with a target, 10 shots in .562" @ 200 yrds. This was shot with Fed Gold Match 250 gr Sierra Match Kings. I only had Lapua 300 gr Scenars on hand. Three shots to get it sighted in, then the first 3 shot group went .162 the next 3 went .254 the last bullet was fired at 800 yrds and missed the center of the bulls eye by 2''. That killed my box of ten. Do I beleive the target sent to me is for real. Heck yeah. It shot lights out for me with a completly different load and I have a hard time beleiving someone with the reputation Les has would risk it all to lie to me about a gun I already purchased. I will be trying the Feds now that I know what they shot out of it.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Actually, I think we'd like to see the new stick,Sounds good though!

~Reagan

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will try to figure out how to post pics. I have a 5.5x 22x 56 nightforce and a ggg bipod on her. All black. Looks good. The bolt suprised me. It is definatly beefier than any Rem bolt Ive had. Has a large extracter as well. Smooth.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Then pics you shall have my friend :D I don't blame you for being skeptical. Like I said in my first post. I heard a lot about the gun yet I just got # 327 this week, and probably 300+ are .308s and .260s

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Ah, I was just joshing... It's a favorite saying with my friends. So, that being said...

SWOON.... over that rifle. Sh!t hot rig! Nice shooting, too!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Great looking rifle! I think what is great about these les Baer bolt rifles is they seem to be slightly less than other High quality tactical bolt rifles. Even in the .338 LM this rifle was less than 4k dollars!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Thats a good looking rifle, way to go.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
Longrange308 said:
Great looking rifle! I think what is great about these les Baer bolt rifles is they seem to be slightly less than other High quality tactical bolt rifles. Even in the .338 LM this rifle was less than 4k dollars!
Nice rifle but in my opinion it's overpriced.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Everyone is entitled to there opinions, however this is the reason that I posted this info on the rifle. It is as advertised super accurate, it is fully adjustable and comfortable. It is beefy and well built. Is there something I am missing other than a certain name on a part ( most people crap on the stock). Les Baer obviously has employed some very skilled gunsmiths. The Les built single cut Barrel itself with the new muzzle brake looks like a work of machining art.
By the way everyone gets hung up on the MSRP. Who ever pays that. I certainly didn't. Way Less. This firearm was a bargain. :?

·
Registered
161 Posts
royman said:
By the way everyone gets hung up on the MSRP. Who ever pays that. I certainly didn't. Way Less. This firearm was a bargain.
I was just saying what i saw on the Les Baer site. I believe the MSRP is $3850. I'm sure you got it for less.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
royman said:
Everyone is entitled to there opinions, however this is the reason that I posted this info on the rifle. It is as advertised super accurate, it is fully adjustable and comfortable. It is beefy and well built. Is there something I am missing other than a certain name on a part ( most people crap on the stock). Les Baer obviously has employed some very skilled gunsmiths. The Les built single cut Barrel itself with the new muzzle brake looks like a work of machining art.
By the way everyone gets hung up on the MSRP. Who ever pays that. I certainly didn't. Way Less. This firearm was a bargain. :?
I didn't want to offend but I did want to voice my opinion, that's all. It's a nice looking rifle, Stiller makes fine receivers, I've used many of them, if the barrel is single cut that reduces the number of barrel makers it could have come from and it is an expensive and excellent way to make a barrel. At the end of the day YOU are the one who has to be happy with it and if you are my opinion doesn't really matter does it?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Awesome looking rifle and looks like it shoots just as good!

Whats the purpose of three scope rings?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi, First of all i want to say that these questions and answers can come off with the wrong tone. I did not join this forum to upset anyone and hope I haven't. I simply wanted to give credit to Les Baer and in the event that someone was thinking of purchasing one, they would be able to hear from someone who actually had to pay for his rifle with hard earned cash and is very satisfied. I searched high and low and could only get reviews from gun mags. ( Which we all know have to be taken with a grain of salt.)

As far as the extra rings, I had some kicking around so i figured why not. Just a little more insurance that the scope stays put. May be overkill. The muzzel brake only tames recoil to about .300 win mag levels but it is not excessively brutal on the ears. Its a pretty good compromise between the two.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hey royman, I dont think anyones taking offense. Oneeyedmac is simply stating his opinion from a gunbuilder's perspective. He knows the cost of equipment, parts, labor, etc so that's his viewpoint.

Personally I'm glad to see a les Baer rifle user on here. I can't think of anyone else with one. It's shooting great so far and I'd like to see how your 250 handloads shoot through it. Please update as I'm sure others would like to see how this thing continues to shoot.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am LE. I bought it through another LE officer with an ffl. Spent right around 3400. I believe Tombstone Tactical list them for around 3500.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
You didn't upset me my friend, one of the problems with the written word is it fails to convey tone and emotion well. I mean it when I say I'm glad you are happy with it and that's what really matters. It is your hard earned cash and you need to be happy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts