Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently reading 13 cent killers , about USMC snipers in Vietnam. A couple of intresting things I have gotten from the book.

1 during an assault on an island the USMC had to cross a river to attack a known HQ. No prepatory fire, they didn't take morters with them or if they did they didn't set them up before crossing and use them for support.And last but not least they sent the sniper teams accross at the front of the colonum, insted of having them set up on the friendly bank for fire support. The moral of the story here is, aggressiveness is good, but not to the point of not thinking and beig stupid. Predictably they were ambushed and pinned down for an hour untill they could call in artillary, then that cleard the entrinched NVA out and they took the island.

2. They recalled a gunnery Sgt out of retirement that had been a sniper in WWII and Korea to set up a sniper school in Vietnam. He taught kentucky windage and hold over and encouraged their use since in combat you usually dont have time to set you scope. He recommended keeping a 300m zero, and marking 600m and 1000m. That way you could quickly adjust to those and use hold over/under while under fire. He mentioned he was not of the thinking of many of the range orented snipers since what applied to the range did not always carry over to the battlefireld. He made the point that you are shooting at a target 10 in wide x 12 in tall, not an x ring, Mind you this guy had many many combat kills in some of the worst fighting the US hd ever seen. (guadalcanal, chosin resivor)

This is one reason I like history, we can learn many things from it. While the weapons may have changed, people have not. I have read about Roman soldiers and the way they were, and it was the same as todays soldiers, just the uniforms and weapons have changed.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Good points, Eka.

I think the reason no prep fire was used is because heavy artillery would have scared off the NVA, VC and made them run to La Bac.

They wanted the enemy to commit to a large fight, and they tricked him into doing it, in exchange for the USMC casualties on the sandbar. It sucks, but it did make the enemy commit to the fight.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Me too, Mel. This appears to be the only rational MO if there are lot of body-sized targets (when in working defence, though it is SDM role actually)
There is common practice among snipers in our army to have 600m dialed on elevation knob. That way you could fire at man-sized target at 100-600m aiming in the waist, with no adjustment.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Yep, I prefer keeping my dials on 600m also. I know the holds for 100-700m. Which covers a LOT of ground without having to adjust the dials.

MEL

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
i was always told to put 400 yds on my scope and to know my trajectory at every distance from point a to point b. cause the ole gunny was right - when your in it up to your neck, you don't have time to change your dope, just use your mils. i think it goes back to knowing your gun set up and being comfortable with it, right?

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
tx_shooter said:
i was always told to put 400 yds on my scope and to know my trajectory at every distance from point a to point b.
Yep, same concept. Though with a 400 zero, your mils only gets you to 800, though I will admit by changing to a 600 zero, your mils will only get you a 100 further to 900. Either way though, what ever is comfortable to the shooter.

MEL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts