Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

61 - 80 of 108 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
Re: Thanks...

Gunnutz13 said:
whbonney26...

Can you post pics of what you use for SASS...six guns, saddleguns, scatterguns...?
Well my first shoot will be in two weeks. I dont have a scatter gun yet. Im going to use a friends.

I plan to use this 66 Winchester clone which is in .45 colt also.

I love the civil war guns so I may use some of the 1851 conversions down the road.

This is my 1892 Winchester in .357/.38.

Here is my 1892 in .45 Colt.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Mmm, the ole .45-70, I'm considering one of them for a fun gun. That or a .30-30.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Quick said:
Mmm, the ole .45-70, I'm considering one of them for a fun gun. That or a .30-30.
there's just something about that big case and bullet...

(ok, it's next to a 223, but you get the point 8) )

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
Well......I went in the local pawn shop today and this thing latched on to me.

Model 1892 with Big Loop Lever in .45 Colt

The wood is pretty good and although very dark it does have shades of brown still left. That is part of what drew me to this rifle. The wood does have some dings but its to be expected. Metal finish is very good. Its missing a screw on one side of the receiver but I will find one soon hopefully.

I must also add.....Lucas McCain makes cocking this rifle look so easy.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Howcome they make the big loop?
I heard it was something the Duke started, thats what they all say at the local shops.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
whbonney26 said:
Let me give you a bit of advice that was earned the hard way: Don't try it unless you are 6'2" and have VERY LONG ARMS! :oops:

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
lonewolf said:
whbonney26 said:
Let me give you a bit of advice that was earned the hard way: Don't try it unless you are 6'2" and have VERY LONG ARMS! :oops:

Too late. The barrel on its only 16 inches but I did learn the hard way that the front sight will make you feel like you busted your head wide open when slammed into your head.......that is if you dont actually bust your head open. Its doable for me......but will def. require practice. That is not why I got the rifle......but you know I had to at least try it.

becks said:
I heard it was something the Duke started, thats what they all say at the local shops.
Not sure who started the big loop but I know Chuck Connors had one in 50s TV series "The Rifleman". There was also one on the pistol version of the 1892 used by Steve McQueen in the TV series "Wanted Dead Or Alive".

I have seen several John Wayne movies where he carries the Big Loop Lever but not sure when it was actually started into use or by whom. My money would be with The Rifleman.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
whbonney26 said:
lonewolf said:
whbonney26 said:

Too late. The barrel on its only 16 inches but I did learn the hard way that the front sight will make you feel like you busted your head wide open when slammed into your head.......that is if you dont actually bust your head open. Its doable for me......but will def. require practice. That is not why I got the rifle......but you know I had to at least try it.
Mine has a 20" octagon barrel and no big lever loop. But, like you, I just had to give it a try. Smacked myself right in the mouth, front sight split my lip, came very close to knocking my teeth out. :oops: :oops:

becks wrote:

Not sure who started the big loop but I know Chuck Connors had one in 50s TV series "The Rifleman". There was also one on the pistol version of the 1892 used by Steve McQueen in the TV series "Wanted Dead Or Alive".

I have seen several John Wayne movies where he carries the Big Loop Lever but not sure when it was actually started into use or by whom. My money would be with The Rifleman.
The first to use the big lever loop on film was John Wayne in the 1939 movie "Stagecoach", and he used it in a number of movies afterward. But...it was Chuck Conners in "The Rifleman" that really made the big lever loop famous, by far.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
For your viewing pleasure:

"The Rifleman" was my favorite TV show when I was growing up, and I still watch it nowdays when it comes on the Encore Western channel. :wink:

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
lonewolf said:
For your viewing pleasure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtbdfypVy38&feature=related

"The Rifleman" was my favorite TV show when I was growing up, and I still watch it nowdays when it comes on the Encore Western channel. :wink:

They took it off of encore western but it comes on everyday on world harvest network on directv. World harvest also plays the lone ranger.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
whbonney26 said:
They took it off of encore western but it comes on everyday on world harvest network on directv. World harvest also plays the lone ranger.
I know they took it off Encore Western, and I don't get World Harvest Network.

But that's ok, I have every episode on tape or dvd, along with the first two seasons of Wanted: Dead or Alive, quite a few seasons of Rawhide, Have Gun Will Travel and Gunsmoke. :wink:

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
I just ordered the Complete series of Wanted Dead or Alive off of ebay the other day for like 15.00.

Me and my son watch Gunsmoke and Bonanza also. Im glad he likes all of the old westerns like me. Its fun to watch them with him.

61 - 80 of 108 Posts