Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just thought this was funny, mel will like it, BC will no longer be buying a leupold. :D

This is leupolds answer to me asking if the 3/4 mil dot is available.......

"Mil-dot reticle is available. teh 3/4 mil dot is an obsolete part."

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
APK-223 said:
"Mil-dot reticle is available. teh 3/4 mil dot is an obsolete part."
That comment proves the genius on the other end is not even familiar with the USMC mil dot... it is 1/4 Mil not 3/4!!! Now... i know there are some people who call it 3/4... but do they call the US Army mil dot a .80 mil? NO! This proves the person saying it is "obsolete" is a few things -

1: Not familiar with different alternative reticles
2: Bias toward his own companies product (DUH)
3: Ignorant... the .25Mil dot is used by more companies and more model scopes than any other mil dot.
4: Probably does not have any real time in the Sniper community... just another range sniper who reads books. (i doubt Leupold would put any one worth while behind a phone instead of a design desk)

Thank you and have a nice day...

BC

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Don't read too much into it.

3/4 Mil-Dot is the common name for the USMC mil-dots. EVERYONE calls it that outside of the USMC. The USMC just calls it "mil-dots" :D

The 3/4 Mil-Dot used to be offered as an option in some leupold scopes, the salesman's comment that it is an obsolete part is referring to their own product line, they do not offer it any longer (its been several years since they have), he was not indicating that the 3/4 Mil-Dot in general is obsolete.

MEL

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Common name does not mean it is a correct name... not trying to argue (or start another "mine is bigger than yours" contest)... but i have never heard a US Marine with any type of Sniper / DM training call it a 3/4 Mil dot... i was told it was a 1/4 Mil dot by the people who train such people... so that is what i call it and that is what i beleive the correct name is. the Mil dot its self is not anywhere near 3/4 mil... so i dont see why any one would even ponder calling it such a thing.

BC

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Its not kleenex either, its facial tissue.

Again, don't worry about it. I've seen it both called the USMC Mil-dots and the 3/4 Mil-dots by shooters, scope companies, snipers (USMC and US Army) etc. The name is fine in my opinion, as its 3/4 of a mil between the end of one dot and the start of the next, so 3/4 mil is at least reasonable.

Many people do not even realize that the US Army mil-dots are not really even .20 mils each, they are .22, but its more useful (and its close enough) to think of them as being .2.

MEL

·
Registered
239 Posts
I was also trying to get the Marine MilDot from them in their Mark 4. I was told by someone in customer service that they have replaced it with their SPR (Special Purpose Reticle) and said it would do everything and more than the MilDot. I of course told him it was a mistake on their part, and they could keep their SPR, and whatever else they "thought" was better than the 1/4 MilDot. If I had the money I would look into the Unertyl.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The only thing i dont like about the Unertl MST-100 is the adjustments... i like 1/4 moa adjustments on both windage and elevation. Other than that... the Unertl MST-100 is an awesome scope.

BC

1 - 8 of 8 Posts