Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the diffrence between the Leupold European scopes and the regular scopes? What I really want to know is the European on the same focal plain as the rest of american scopes, or is it on the same plane as European scopes? I can't remember if we are on the first focal plane, or the europeans are. Anyway any info you have is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Europe uses a front focal plane, but I know nothing about European Leupolds.

I would love a front focal scope with mil dots though.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Okay, I can provide some details.

The european leupolds have a 30mm tube and adjustments that are 1cm at 100m. Now, in terms of front focal, as far as I can tell, yes, they are FFP. They state the reticule posts stay the same thickness over the entire magnification range for minimal target coverage. It depends on how you read it, but that sounds like FFP.

MEL

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.

·
Registered
994 Posts
FFP is when the mil-dot scale remains accurate at any magnification, and not just one specific magnification, correct?

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Scatch Maroo said:
FFP is when the mil-dot scale remains accurate at any magnification, and not just one specific magnification, correct?

Scatch Maroo
This is a result of having a FFP scope. But in general, yes.

John

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Yep, thats correct. The reason the question is asked is because most all European made scopes (and others made for the European market) are FFP scopes. The USA scopes are pretty much all 2nd FP scopes. Don't ask me why

MEL

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
So w/ american made scopes you need a dif. way to calculate ranges w/ different magnitudes?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
The easiest way is to have the scope on the setting that the reticule is calibrated to. Do your necessary adjustments and then zoom away.

John

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
There are other neat tricks you can do with the reticule being in the 2nd focal plane, like using a duplex reticule to estimate range, etc. This cannot be done with the reticule in the FFP. I'll document the details of how to do this in one of the members sections and also when I release the SC2 package, which will not use a mil-dot scope for the low cost package (the higher end packages will use mil-dots)

MEL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts