Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the diff between the Leupold Mark 4 3x9 40mm (stock #56860), and the Vari X II 3x9 40mm (#50431)? As far as I can tell, they both have duplex reticles, target turrets, and they seem to cost about the same. Is one any better than the other for LE/ Tactical use? :?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The Leupold MK4 series of optics... rings... and bases are designed for tactical use. The line of optics goes up in quality as the number goes up... VX-I is there basic scope design and quality... VX-II is a little better... VX-III is there highest as far as the VX line goes (i beleive). Each series of optics are available in many different reticles... knobs and powers. I have a Vari-X III MK4 3.5-10X40mm M-1 LR T (custom shop)... and i love it. I would suggest either VX-III or MK4 optics for tactical use... prefferably MK4.

EDITED : I got curious and called up the gun store where i bought my scope from... i bought it off of one of the employees and he told me it is not a discontinued model as i beleived. He custom ordered it from Leupold's Custom Shop!!! I think this is cool... ive never had a custom made scope! 8) Its a Vari-X III MK4 3.5-10X40mm M1 LR T... if that makes any sence.

BC

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
amt8951 said:
Whats the diff between the Leupold Mark 4 3x9 40mm (stock #56860), and the Vari X II 3x9 40mm (#50431)? As far as I can tell, they both have duplex reticles, target turrets, and they seem to cost about the same. Is one any better than the other for LE/ Tactical use? :?
The Mark 4 version 3-9x40mm PR is for the most part the same scope as the VXII, at least when talking lenses, and internal pieces. BUT, the Mk4 version is all subdued matte black. Its just a tactical version of the same scope. But, I must also note, the #50431 is no longer produced. All Vari-X II scopes were replaced in 2004 with the VXII models, and the target knob version did not make the new lineup.

MEL

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Yep, and if you ask nicely, I'll sell a brand new one to you for $364 with the duplex, or $440 with mil-dots. (plus a little for shipping).

they are good little scopes....

MEL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts