Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Super Moderator
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be scoping my Springfield Armory M1-A SOCOM 16 with a Scout Scope From Hi Lux, (Leatherwood). These are nice scopes for the money. I'm currently shooting one of the ART M-1000 scopes on a Colt 6940 Monolith, and like it a great deal. The scope is very rugged and bright. And it holds zero beautifully.

I'm going to go with Leupold Mark IV Tactical Rings. I'm trying to decide to go with either steel or Aluminum. I'm leaning heavily toward the steel because of it's ruggedness. And the fact the ring screws can hold more torque.

I have several other rifles with these steel Leupold Mark IV Tactical Rings, and they have never disappointed me. I'm not concerned about the extra few ounces of weight the steel rings add. But they do add to the mass of the scope system, and that somewhat concerns me.

This is offset however by the lightweight of the Hi Lux Scout scope itself. It only weighs 12.3 ounces. Have any of you employed these Aluminum Leupold Mark IV Rings? And if so, how do you like them as opposed to steel?

I was considering the excellent Burris XTR Polymer inserted rings. But they are quite large, and 1-1/16" wide. And because of that they would be a tight install, because I only have 1-3/8" between the rear adjustment ring and the adjusting turret. That only gives me 5/16" to play with for forward / rear scope movement. They are Aluminum, but have a total of 6 screws per ring...... Thoughts?

· Super Moderator
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds like good advice. But I'm not sure what the rail is made from, that Springfield provides mounted to the SOCOM 16 as it comes from the factory. Perhaps someone who knows for sure can chime in.

· Super Moderator
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just to let everyone know, I ordered this scope factory direct from Hi-Lux. They assured me that the scope comes with pop open lens covers included. There was no tax, and free shipping. The price was $160.00 delivered with the BDC Reticle. (The standard Duplex Reticle was $140.00).

Midway USA charges the same, ($160.00). However, they said the scope does NOT come with lens covers. Plus they charge both tax and shipping. So if anyone is interested in one of these scopes, buy it direct from Hi Lux. You'll save money.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts