Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen Leupold's new reticle, the "Tactical Milling Reticle" or TMR?

It seems every maker has their own proprietary reticle or three, I wonder if this one will be any good.

I had previously mentioned Leupold's new first focal plane scopes, apparently the two reticle options are Mil-Dot or TMR.

If you want to check it out, head over to http://www.leupold.com/products/tactica ... oducts.htm and click on "Tactical Milling Reticle"

P.S. They have another new one, the "Special Purpose Reticle" as well, but I believe that it is for low magnification scopes.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
I actually like both of the new reticles. I think the added accuracy that can be acheived using the new tac-mil with the small graduations will be a benefit. It appears that this reticle is a slight evolution of the premier reticle gen2 mildot.

http://www.leupold.com/products/tactical_products/reticles_TMR.htm

I also think the new Special Purpose Reticle (SPR) could be very handy once you get it figured out and used to it.

http://www.leupold.com/products/tactical_products/reticles_SPR.htm

MEL

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I like it, but I wonder if I'm steady enough to use all those little graduations or accurate enough to need that accurate a range estimation. I guess it would be a good excuse to shoot more; gotta be able to use my new scope to it's full potential! :D

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Yep! Just shoot more!!

Just as an example. If you are trying to range a 6ft tall target at 1000 yards and you mis estimate the mil-reading by .1 mils, you will miss range him by 50 yards. With a .308, that 50 yards of mis range will be a clean miss at that range...

So, thats why I like the little extra graduations.

MEL

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
yeah mel, this is something ive always struggled with. How do you accurately find your measurements? The average male (according to a study by "they") is 6'2 inches tall. But im sure that if we we're in korea or say hunting deer or something, where the average height of certain creatures varies greatly, the average height of a man is going to be shorter than that.
Another study by the infamous "they" says that an average deer is 36 inches tall from hoof to sholder top, im sure if we were in montana that would be a larger number and in georgia it would be a smaller number (our deer are the size of large german sheppards.... seirously).

I understand that in an urban combat situation you can know that a post office box is X inches high, or a car is X inches wide, and then go from there.

But at distances past 300-400 yards, this guesstimation can be very innacurate.

any insight?

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
No, not a lot of insight. In terms of men, you can generally tell wether someone is taller or shorter than average, but you will never be able to tell what the exact height is. That is why its even MORE important to get the most accurate mil reading you can, because you already know you will be off a bit on the height guess, so try and limit the amount off you are on the mil reading also.

I always took time to measure and determine what the sizes were of common things in my area of operations. Like the height of the average door jam, or the height of the wheel on a BRDM-2, etc. Anything that you might see while on an operation.

MEL

·
Registered
152 Posts
mele said:
No, not a lot of insight. In terms of men, you can generally tell wether someone is taller or shorter than average, but you will never be able to tell what the exact height is. That is why its even MORE important to get the most accurate mil reading you can, because you already know you will be off a bit on the height guess, so try and limit the amount off you are on the mil reading also.

I always took time to measure and determine what the sizes were of common things in my area of operations. Like the height of the average door jam, or the height of the wheel on a BRDM-2, etc. Anything that you might see while on an operation.

MEL

someone should post allof this in the "real world accuracy" thread. Good info that definately has bearing in that subject.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
OK, so being off by .1 will result in a 50 yard miss? I see and I'm really not surprised. But, you haven't seen me shoot yet... If my targets 1000 yards away I'm getting a few hundred yards closer. There's a reason I so quickly went for a "more shooting/practice" excuse. :wink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts