Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Below is a quote from a news network here in the Philippines....

PNP: Total gun ban will end ‘senseless killings’

A total gun ban will prevent senseless killings in the country, the Philippine National Police chief, Director General Arturo Lomibao, said during a forum at the Manila Overseas Press Club at the Hotel Inter-Continental Manila Wednesday night.

The nationwide gun ban, he said, would be similar to the one enforced by the Commission on Elections during elections.

Citing PNP data, Lomibao said that without a gun ban, an average of seven people in the country are killed daily.

Based on records from the PNP operations center in Camp Crame, between 10 and 14 shooting incidents occur in the country.

PNP records showed that 6,300 murders and killings were reported in the past three years. The weapons used in most of the killings are loose firearms.

Without a total gun ban, Lomibao said the police can only renew its crack down against holders of loose firearms and gun-for-hire syndicates to curb "heinous killings and planned executions."

The PNP dusted off its old plan to go after the owners of loose firearms when a lone gunman killed Henry Lanot, a former congressman, in Pasig City. Similar campaigns against loose firearms were launched under the Ramos and Estrada administrations.

Investigators believe the gunman was hired in Quiapo, Manila.

According to PNP records, there are 149,501 loose firearms in the country. The records also showed that 415,320 gun licenses have expired at the end of February this year.

The records also showed that the COMELEC gun ban did not put a stop to slayings during the election period.
I just find the last line funny cause I think the gun ban they are proposing obviously did not work during the time it was imposed (election months: election and campain months are usually gun ban months here in the Philippines)... I was just wondering why they think that it would work now if they implement it year round... :roll:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The only Philippino's who will follow the gun ban are those who do not break the law in the first place... law abiding citizens. Criminals will not turn in there guns... quite simply because they obviously dont care about laws... or they would not be criminals!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BC

·
Registered
994 Posts
m_a_c_e_3 said:
well said BC... our politicians need to realize this... a total gun ban just seems absurd IMHO...
Politicians are (almost always) very intelligent people: it's how they've been able to climb their way to the top of such large populations.

I don't think Gavin Newsom (SF's mayor), Senator Boxer, or Hilary Clinton really believe a gun ban will reduce crime, suicide, or accidental deaths... they realize it is in their political interests to pretend crime is caused by guns (because it allows them to ignore the real causes), and so they do, and likely always will.

Politicians are rarely dumb enough to believe their own rhetoric. :(

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
To simplify the reason of there madness... they prey off the votes of insanly stupid people who DO beleive there BS.

BC

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
I am sure the Hucks will turn their weapons in as soon as the ban goes into effect. (insert sarcasm here)

·
Registered
994 Posts
Jeff_850 said:
this is just the dumbest thing ive ever herd
how do these people go along with it???
The short answer: we live in a hive society and people are abstained from critical thought.

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I think you guys are being very unfair to the enlightened rulers of the Phillipines.

In the fullness of time I'm sure that law-abiding Filipino criminals will give up their illegal firearms. I'm sure these law-abiding criminals will also stop committing illegal murders.

I also think we should give some of these enlightened ideas a chance over here.

Why don't we also make it illegal to use an illegal gun to illegally murder someone?

Mad

·
Registered
576 Posts
The short answer: we live in a hive society and people are abstained from critical thought.
Oooo. Much better than my long version, which didn't quite include the concept of "hive society." I called it something different, which might have sparked a flamewar.

Am I glad I refreshed the page before I hit submit? Oh yeah.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
madgunsmith said:
I think you guys are being very unfair to the enlightened rulers of the Phillipines.

In the fullness of time I'm sure that law-abiding Filipino criminals will give up their illegal firearms. I'm sure these law-abiding criminals will also stop committing illegal murders.

I also think we should give some of these enlightened ideas a chance over here.

Why don't we also make it illegal to use an illegal gun to illegally murder someone?

Mad
Along with that I am sure the Al-Queda funded terrists will give up their illegal firearms and go down a peaceful path to reform.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Followed closely by the Neo-Nazis, survivalists, and gangbangers.

The Mafia will say:
"Guns, what guns? We run only a pasta factory here." :roll:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts