Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

Do you think the live chat room is a good idea?

• Yes i would love to have a live chat room on SC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sure... why not.

• No i would not use it.

• Doesnt matter to me either way.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive seen other web sites with a very similar set up to SC... and they have a live chat option. It opens up a second window and you can go in there and have live chat... its basically just a chat room like on yahoo or whatever. I think this would be a great place to get to know other people on SC more... and just shoot the "can" with other members.

BC

·
Registered
994 Posts
Bridge the gap of the seventeen variations of instant messaging!

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
this isnt very hard, you can use a program called jpilot to set up a chat on an mIRC server. From what ive heard this was tried once before and bombed. Mabye its time to start it up again mel?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I'd use it. I'd use MSN/Windows Messenger too, but don't have many people on my list. :( Either one is a good idea in my book and I'd use them/it. :)

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
If you use jpilot you can access it through the webpage... its embedded. So theirs no software to download. Just mel to code it out real quick and its just a couple lines of code and a java applet.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
When we talked about this before, it came down to a time crunch for me. If this is of interest, I need someone to do the leg work. Research it, perhaps set up the IRC stuff, and then let me know what I need to do on the coding side. I just don't have the time right now to devote to researching it all. I'm more than happy to set it up, just need some help....

MEL

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
not prob mel, tell me what you need to know or msg me. I set one up on a friends webpage before. I can also explain how IRC chat works and moderator status and stuff like that.

http://www.jpilot.com/products/jirc/demo.html

That is a link to a demo on the jpilot website. They also have the manual and your free to look at the source code to see how its set up. If you download the jpilot pack, there are instructions for installation inside along with a few sample webpages.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
you can set it up on DAL.net or one of the more popular servers, They will have a chanserv service which will allow you and only you to become an op in that chat. Everyone else will be given regular status.. when you connect to an irc server, all you have to do is type /join #snipercentral.com and it will make the chat room (if it doesnt exist yet) and put you in it. If your the first one in the chatroom your automatically given OP status unless you were to register the chat with the chanserv service.

I can also offer you my computer to host a bot on, which automatically kicks/bans for you and holds operator status until you come into the room.

If you want some hands on with IRC then let me know and ill get you started using a program called mIRC.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So whats happening with this? Anything? How long ago was this tried and it didnt work? There might not have been enough members that frequent the site back then...

Either that or i can set up a Yahoo chat room strictly for Sniper Central members. I could easily control the room... keeping trouble makers (hackers, crackers, exploiters, booters, name stealers, net clans, ect) out of the room without a problem...

Here is how you access the room... (free download @ http://messenger.yahoo.com/downloadsucc ... xe=1&p=SP2 ) (messenger.yahoo.com for more info)

1: Open up Yahoo Messenger

2: At the top of the program screen there should be a button that says "Chat"... click on it to open up the room list menu.

3: On the left list (middle of the pop up menu) select Government & Politics... now the right menu (on the right side of the pop up menu) should change to the Government & Politics room selection.

4: At the top of the right menu... select "User Rooms"... the right menu should change from Official Yahoo Rooms to User Rooms.

5: Now in the right menu scroll up and/or down to find the room named "Sniper Central" and either double click the name or click on it once... which will select it... and then click on the "Go To Room" button.

6: You should now be in the chat room...

7: To activate voice chat... make sure your speakers are turned on and at the top left of the chat room window... click the "Voice" button one time... wait a second or two... click it again... wait a second or two and click it one more time for a total of 3 times. Voice should now be turned on so that you can hear people on voice chat and talk back using a headset or mic. (you do not need a mic to listen... all you need is speakers... so turn it on anyway.)

At right side of the room there is a side list of user names of people who are in the room... my name is "sc_ballistic_coefficiency" but it should show up in the room at "Ballistic_Coefficiency" since that is my nickname on my yahoo profile.

If the Sniper Central chat room is not open... you can find me in either Military Room : 5 or 18... found in the Government & Politics section of the Official Yahoo chat rooms.

BC

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Okay, perhaps this will please everyone for the time being:

http://www.snipercentral.com/chat.htm

There is no registration, but I'd like to see you use your forums screen name when using the live chat. It uses a remotely hosted server with a java client that runs within the web page. Its a simple solution to providing live chat on the web site, and best of all it was easy to setup....

You can also access it from the forums tab in the menu of the SC.com site.

MEL

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AWESOME!!! And since it is right under the "Forum" link from the main site i think every one will notice it while entering the Forums...

BC

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Chat room us a great idea. Gives everyone else here a better chance to get aquainted with other members and discuss things with more interaction. The chat setup now is good, we just need more people to bump on in there, its always quite desolate in there :roll:

Respectfully,
Tyler Consugar

1 - 16 of 16 Posts