Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my 7.62x51 rifle chamber I can fire both 308 and 7.62. But when it comes to reloading, which cartridge is better for reloading in that? Anyone know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
555 Posts
With my 7.62x51 rifle chamber I can fire both 308 and 7.62. But when it comes to reloading, which cartridge is better for reloading in that? Anyone know?
If you haven't read something like this, then take a look:

https://www.topbrass-inc.com/blogs/news/308-winchester-vs-7-62-nato-what-s-the-difference#:~:text=Brass Thickness: Because the 7.62,7.62 is lower than the .&text=308 Winchester cartridge case and the 7.62 NATO case is,they are specifically designed for.

My preference would be for the .308 case that I will have larger volume for powder. I feel a lot depends of the specifics of your gun and its chamber specs.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you haven't read something like this, then take a look:

https://www.topbrass-inc.com/blogs/news/308-winchester-vs-7-62-nato-what-s-the-difference#:~:text=Brass Thickness: Because the 7.62,7.62 is lower than the .&text=308 Winchester cartridge case and the 7.62 NATO case is,they are specifically designed for.

My preference would be for the .308 case that I will have larger volume for powder. I feel a lot depends of the specifics of your gun and its chamber specs.
That had me thinking it’s safer to put reloads of 308 up until the last paragraph. It confused me

·
Registered
3 Posts
That had me thinking it’s safer to put reloads of 308 up until the last paragraph. It confused me
Yeah, very poorly worded. I think what they meant to say at the end was that a rifle chambered for .308 can safely fire either the .308 or the 7.62, but a rifle chambered for 7.62 should fire only 7.62 and not .308. That would jive with what was alluded to in the previous paragraphs.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
]
I went through and researched this subject years ago when I built my SR25. Read SAAMI SPECS and also this, 7.62mm (7.62 x 51 mm) Ammunition.
I use to have a subscription to load data where I got additional load data and specs but have let it run out. The one thing I’ve found in my research is noted in the following article. 7.62 NATO vs .308 Winchester Ammo, What’s The Difference?

so why you see references in the first link data is not PI but CUP. The ammoland article is not the only place referencing the information. I have found through military data I have access to that testing is in CUP not PSI.
With all that said I’d take the time to know what you chamber dimensions are before I decide to run 398 win in the rifle. If it’s a new rifle the chamber should be pretty tight, if it is older then I’d definitely check it. If you are daring you can load 762 brass to the low end of 308 data. Remember SAAMI gives max pressure of 62k and the max cup for 762 is approximately 58k psi.
My conscious says check the chamber if you don’t know what the headspace dimensions are!

Reactions: Raymond Balducci
1 - 5 of 5 Posts