Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For me it would be 200 rds primary in pack or spreadout on my body, and 75 rds for my sidearm. Does anyone have any duty experience on loadout?

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Depends on the mission, especially how long you plan to be in the field. We carried at least 120 rounds of 118, then a small mix off accessory ammo including tracer & armor piercing if available. Usually something like 20 and 10 respectively.

MEL

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I figured that to be in the general area, but I couldn't think of many scenarios where tracer ammo would be used by a sniper.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Mainly its for "marking" a target. You mark a hidden machine gun bunker so your own machine gunners or FO's can engage. I've also marked APC's and other targets with tracer. Of course, you have to constantly be aware that tracers work in reverse also... marking your general direction.

MEL

·
Registered
576 Posts
"I don't see where the tracer came from... so it might have been a sniper. OK, Igor, we're going to call in the 81mm and 120mm mortars firing HE for about two minutes in this grid square here, and then we'll sweep with a BMP and a dismounted infantry squad. If we find whatever dropped the tracer on the T-80UK, we'll stop. If we don't, we'll go another hundred meters out and repeat."

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

You do that every time you see a tracer - and you will get a lot more tracers - and you will have a lot of worn out people, out of fuel vehicles and out of ammo mortars.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Huh, interestin shtuff.

I agree with AK in the way that if they believe they have a sniper on their case, they'll react pretty aggressively.

I agree with Yimmy too tho, that they'd find it hard to keep putting out that kind of response and it would probably take a long time to organize and start firing.

Alternate versions tho.

"Igor, was that a tracer?" Bapbapbapbapbap! (US Machine guns hitting target the tracer just marked before they can react.

"Igor, was tha a tracer?" BOOM! (Dang, that fire mission comes in fast)

Weeelll....Actually most of the time its gonna be a third world country getting the whuppin, and not a real army like Russia, so they won't have the means to respond effectively anyway

·
Registered
576 Posts
Yep.

The Russian Military, heads-on with the Americans, at the moment, would turn pretty quickly into craters. Their equipment is as good as, and better than, American gear in some respects, but their troops, and especially their officers, I would like to take the bat to.

Generally anyone who knows about the kind of damage a sniper can do, they will react very aggressively and very quickly. Now, the kind of troops that American forces are now engaging, don't get the chance to react aggressively, and B, don't have the apparent training or equipment to react aggressively in the face of American sniper fire.

And yes, it would be impossible to put out the kind of response I described. They would probably pop smoke and manuever aggressively in the direction of the tracer origin, or find more solid cover.

Unless the weapons are set up and ready, and their crews haven't been shot (I'd be tempted to mark mortars with tracer to get our HMGs or mortars firing on them.) then they'd find it really hard to respond quickly, especially since sniper fire rarely comes from the direction that they're oriented towards: Point of most likely contact.

Eventually it would end up as:
"Igor, was that a tracer? Igor? Oh sh*t."

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Right on, couldn't agree more.

As for marking targets with tracers, good point about the mortars. Biggest threat to the sniper comes first lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
My loadout...

I'm an Army Sniper currently in Iraq.

My loadout is as follows.

M-4 with 11x30rd. mags of SS-109/5.56 ball with penatrators, 2x30rd. mags of tracers only (for marking the bad guys should the helos support me with a gun run). The M-4 is my choice rather than the M-9 9mm pistol, for superior firepower and accuracy. I have a PAC-4 IR laser, a penlight flare, and a EOTech holographic sight attached.
I carry one AN smoke (concealment type) grenade, a garmin Rino 120 gps/radio, IR strobe light, backup Firefly IR strobe, Surefire light, Bushnell 800 laser rangefinder, digital camera, PVS-14 monocular nightvision, extra batteries for all, a medical kit with one IV set (500ml of Hextend), 4 Hemcon extreme trauma dressings, 1 Isreali dressing, and a few issued battle dressings. Some duct tape, and 550 cord. A signal mirror, whistle, and two red light Bitelites. A compass, notepad, and pens. And a K-bar USMC knife. Most all of it's dummy corded to my vest with a thinner version of 550 cord.
I wear all this gear in a vest from Tactical Tailor out of Ft. Lewis Wash, which I've had for a few years and am very impressed with. In addition I wear for normal patrols the issued IBV Improved Ballistic Vest with plates, knee pads, the new Kevlar helmet, goggles, Bushnell binos, and wiley-X sunglasses. I'm also never without two small English/Arabic translation books (So far I've developed a working knowledge of Arabic and am improving daily). Plus, at least one map, and usually a few satilite photos.
For my Sniper missions (traditional), keep everything but the armor, helmet and translation books. They get replaced by a concealable Point Blank IIA body armor and a Ghille suit, and a "headache harness" to hold my NOD's in place. Adding my long rifle (the M-24) usually with a AN/PVS-10 day/night scope, with bipod and flash suppressor, in addition to my M-4. An ASIP radio, which has roughly the same capabilities as the older SINGAR's radio with about half the size and weight (thank GOD) along with extra batteries, extra handset, long and short whip antennas, and a daypack to keep it all in. I also carry at least 60 rounds of M-118 Special Ball match ammo for the M-24.
The least amount of weight I carry on a daily basis is 75 lbs. for a basic patrol, add on the radio, dedicated Sniper gear and my field ruck for a two day mission and the wieght balloons out to around 165 lbs. Personally I'd like to meet the SOB who coined the phrase "Light Infantry" and beat the hell out of him :)
So there you have it, my standard Infantryman/Sniper loadout in all it's glory, minus the two or three packs of Trident Cinnimon gum I live off of in the field. Hope it helps....

Spc. Roger B. Rees
A Co. 1/69th Inf
256th BCT
Taji/Baghdad, Iraq

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

No Kitchen sink?
How on Earth are you going to wash without the sink?! :lol:

·
Registered
18 Posts
More stuff...

No kitchen sink, it's on backorder in Supply. I did have a M-203 mounted on my M-4 yesterday. Normally that would go to my spotters loadout, but since I don't have a permanently assigned spotter, I'll pack it. I picked up six HEDP shells to go with. Also I forgot to mention the two pairs of nylon flex cuffs I carry for detainees. :)

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
If your patrolling an urban area have you or anyone else replaced the M4 with a shotgun? Keep safe.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Heres a few of my load outs... if i posted all my gear and accesories it would take way to long... so here is a more compact explanation.

Rifleman load out :

Rifle : M-4A3 14.5" Carbine, Selective Fire Semi-Auto/Full-Auto, Sure Fire M-910A Tactical Light/Foregrip System, Sure Fire M4-FA 30 Db Supressor, Sure Fire M-73 Picatinny Rail, Sure Fire Stand Alone Flip Up Rear Sight, Trijicon ACOG TA01NSN

Rifle Ammo : 510 rounds. 17 magazines total... 30 rounds each. (including one in the rifle) For regular every day deployment patrols and things like that we use standard M-193 55gr FMJBT ammo. For more "high speed" missions... we use MK-262 Mod1 Canellured 77gr Nosler HPBT

Pistol : H&K MK-23 with Knights Armament suppressor (not attached... keep it in my map pocket on the inside of my vest)

Pistol Ammo : 60 rounds. 5 magazines total... 12 rounds each. (including one in the pistol) I allways carry Federal 165gr Hydra-Shok HP's... for my MK-23 and 1911.

Grenades : 4 M-67 Fragmentation Grenades. (if its a grab op i substitute frag's for flash bang's)

Desert Rifleman load out :

Rifle : M-14

Rifle Ammo : 260 rounds M-80 Ball (147gr FMJBT), 13 magazines total (including one in the rifle)

Pistol : H&K MK-23 on right leg in drop leg holster.

Pistol Ammo : 60 rounds. 5 magazines total... 12 rounds each. (including one in the pistol) I allways carry Federal 165gr Hydra-Shok HP's... for my MK-23.

Grenades : 2 Smoke Grenades (different colors), 2 M-67 Fragmentation Grenades.

LRRP Operation :

Rifle : AK-M

Rifle Ammo : 330 rounds. 11 Magazines with 30 rounds each. (including one magazine in the weapon)

Pistol : Springfield Armory M-1911A1 MC Operator on right leg in drop leg holster.

Pistol Ammo : 64 rounds. 8 magazines total... 8 rounds each. (including one in the pistol) I allways carry Federal 165gr Hydra-Shok HP's for my 1911.

Grenades : None

Extra's : 3 Extra 48 ounce water cans. (not including my camel back water pack)

Force Team load out :

SMG : H&K MP5SD 9mm, Trijicon Reflex, H&K foregrip tactical entry light.

SMG Ammo : 300 Rounds. 10 Magazines of 30 rounds each. 3 Mags on left leg drop mag holster, 6 mags on vest, one in weapon.

Pistol : H&K MK-23 on right leg in drop leg holster with Knights Armament suppressor attached

Pistol Ammo : 60 rounds. 5 magazines total... 12 rounds each. (including one in the pistol) I allways carry Federal 165gr Hydra-Shok HP's... for my MK-23 and 1911.

Grenades : 4 Flash Bangs, 1 Incindiary Grenade

Force Team Point Man load out :

Shotgun : Benelli M-1014, collapsable stock, large tritium insert ghost sight's.

Shotgun Ammo (12 guage) : 125 rounds of #6 Buckshot, 15 entry rounds

Pistol : H&K MK-23 on right leg in drop leg holster.

Pistol Ammo : 60 rounds. 5 magazines total... 12 rounds each. (including one in the pistol) I allways carry Federal 165gr Hydra-Shok HP's... for my MK-23.

Grenades : 5 Entry Charges (web charge's), 5 Flash Bangs, 1 Incindiary Grenade

Machinegunner load out :

Urban Machinegun : MK-46 5.56X45mm SF SAW, Sure Fire M-910A Tactical Light/Foregrip, EO Tech HOLO sight.

Desert Machinegun : MK-48 7.62X51mm SF SAW, ACOG TA55A (5.5x50mm with 7.62X51mm reticle)

Machinegun Ammo - 5.56mm : 1,200 rounds. Six 200 round belt drums. (including one 200 round belt drum on weapon) Standard ammo belt... FMJBT... AP... Tracer... AP... FMJBT... FMJBT... AP... Tracer... AP... FMJBT... ect.

Machinegun Ammo - 7.62mm : 600 rounds. Six 100 round belt drums. (including one 100 round belt drum on weapon) Standard ammo belt... FMJ... AP... Tracer... AP... FMJ... FMJ... AP... Tracer... AP... FMJ...

Pistol : H&K MK-23 with Knights Armament suppressor (not attached... keep it in my map pocket on the inside of my vest)

BC

1 - 14 of 14 Posts