Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I just so happens that I am buddies with the owner of a billion dollar business. He drops about 250K per year on hunting and most of his guns cost over 50K. He knows I shoot long range and he asked me to build a rifle for him that will kill hogs at 1000 yards. Money is not an issue but it cant be anything over a 338 Lapua because he is an older gentleman.

Here are some options I am thinking about:

http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/m24a3sws.htm
(dont know if this is available for civi's)

Mcmillan Tac 300 or Tac 338

Like I said just options Im thinking about. He just told me to get a total and he is sending me a check for it. I might just build a custom Remington 700 and get it chambered in 300RUM. Any ideas will be helpfull.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
If money is no object have a 338 laupa built. I am wondering about shooting hogs at 1000 yards however, they are tough animals and not sure how ethical it is since just a little mistake and you have a bad shot.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
I would contact Tac Ops about a long-range built .300 Win Mag, I doubt it will even cost $50K ;)

I also think 1000 yards on hogs would be unethical. What people don't understand is that shooting at game animals at extreme ranges is unethical, engaging human targets at extreme ranges in combat scenarios is not.

In any case, I think your buddy ought to buy you a matching rifle for your trouble in being his outfitter 8)

-matt

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well Matt it just so happens he is buying me whatever rifle I want to create for myself! :D :D :D I nearly pissed myself when he told me that!! I was happy to say the least! That is a good point on killing stuff at those ranges, maybe if he was able to handle a little more punch I would set him up with a Cheytac M200 in .408 Cheytac!!! The problem is, he has a high game deer ranch in South Texas and the hogs are such a problem we shoot them out of his helocopter with shotguns!!! Its quite a thrill hanging out of the door of a chopper and mowing down the coyotes and hogs like that!! The problem with the hogs is they go through fence like butter so he has to pay way too much on fence repair.

Oh BTW, he wanted this rifle this year if possible. If I am not mistaken, a Tac Ops is a 6 month wait. I think I will go with an X-Ray in 300WM 26 in topped with a Mark4 8.5-25x50

G

·
0 Posts
Did I hear someone say Long, long, long range????? Why not shoot past 2,000 yards......

The 30 Wolf will dominate anything you can come up with for that type of work. A counter torque brake on a 30 Wolf will make it your buddies favorite rifle for ultra long range.

Here are a few groups to show your buddy.....

1,000 yards.....on a Sako action on a McMillan A5.....

600 yards........two groups shot off of a Nesika Model M on an HS Precision stock......

A little long range hunting......

What it looks like on a Lone Wolf Carbon Fiber stock......

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dadgum! (that is a word where im from) That 30 Wolf looks like a pretty salty rifle! The only prob sounds like ammo. This guy does not reload. If someone made ammo for it, it might be a possibility.

G

·
0 Posts
We can always do him one in a 338 Lapua chambering, with the 300 SMK or the lighter bullets, a 7mm Ultra Mag, or a 300 Ultra Mag if he wants to shoot the slick 208 to 216 boatails. I think he can get a 200 Accubond factory loading as well in the 300 Ultra Mag.

Or we can just load him up 5,000 1/4 MOA rounds and he can ship it back for a new barrel and some reloads when he runs out of ammo.... :wink:

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Why not try something with a pill with more wind-bucking? 7mm RUM? 6.5 Rocket? Just a thought.........offers less recoil than the .338 Lapua.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Here's a better idea.

Why not get hold of an original Lahti 20mm anti-tank rifle? One of these makes the .50 look like a white mouse. And in World War 2, the Finns did install telescopic sights on a few of these.

There were many of these rifles sold in the US as surplus during the 1950s and 60s. In fact, we've seen several at the larger gunshows. And Squinty was too cheap to buy me one.

Your friend has unlimited money, (does he need a feline companion?) and he could afford the necessary $200 transfer tax on each round of ammunition. I think each round is designated a destructive device.

Anyway, a 3000 grain bullet at 3000 feet per second would be a serious long range propostion. And it would certainly stop any hog. In fact it will stop any mastadons or dinasaurs if you happen to find any.

Fluffy

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well Fluffy, sorry to dissapoint but he absolutely hates cats or anything related to them. In fact he baught a bunch of Jack Russles to keep the ferral cat population down. As for the dinosours, he has killed several hogs that went 600+ and 2 that went over 700. That 20mm might not be a bad idea. Heck, might as well just get a Cobra gunship! Ok this is getting a little out of control guys, lets try to stay on subject and keep focus!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thats what Im talking about! If I had the L 89 this is what I would do.

1) Get up on a mountain.
2) If I could see an elk i could hit it so lets say there is one at roughly 2 miles out at the bottom.
3) Shoot him, gut him and de-bone him all with one trigger pull.
4) Detach skiis from bipods and cruise on down to the elk.
5) Recover what is left
6) Ski out of country

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tekk27, your are dead on about me being a Weatherby guy. I nearly bought this instead of my Accumark but just couldnt justify it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok guys this is what happened:

I talked to Mike at Tac Ops, who is probably the nicest guy in the world (and smartest about tactical guns in my opinion) taking time away from his schedule to talk so long to me, and we decided on an XRAY 66 24".

It will be topped with a Leupold 8.5-25x50 On top of this scope will be a BDC for the 190 gr FGMM

It will shoot Fed GMM 190 for the life of the gun and nothing less

A Leica Geovid 15x56 Rangefinder will assist in the rangefinding

It will rest on 6-9" Harris S-BR legs

She will sleep in a Pelican OD green case

It will reign hell on coyotes from 3/4 of a mile

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Nice rifle choice but why use the 190 when the 210 VLD and 208 AMAX are a much better choice for long range. I hit out to 1650 yards without a problem with my 210s at about 2950fps in my 300WM. Check out the BCs and you'll change your mind.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The reason on the ammo choice is the guy Im having this gun built for is worth over a billion dollars and he would not have time to reload Bergers. I personally shoot Bergers and love reloading but this guy is so busy he didnt even have time to buy the gun, thats why he had me do it for him. That and Mike @ tac ops said he only gauruntees the .25 moa groups with FGMM. I know for a fact the Bergers and maybe the Accubonds would but like I said, time is money for this guy.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
You should have your friend check out Corbon Ammo and have them load up some custom ammo for him with the better bullets. They do that. Also I'm sure the guarentee of 1/4 MOA is with the 190s but I'm sure the other bullets will work just fine out of the rifle also. ;) Just mentioning it because you started talking about 338s and very long range rounds and ended up shooting 190s out of a 300WM which is a good load but not near optimal or anything that can compare to a .338. If you want to ring the most out of the 300WM you'll be better off with the heavier, better BC bullets. Your call though.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Robo the gun is not for me. I had to pick a gun that is going to be for a 60 year old man that is not in the best shape in the world. In fact he is going after Marco Polo sheep in Mongolia next year and he needs to be able to still cary the rifle for miles on in and yet still be able to make a 600 yard shot.

If the gun was for me, Im thinking I would go with:

This gun is 21 lbs and some change but I am a bodybuilder standing 5'10" and weighing in at 276 lbs and only 9% body fat. I can carry arround a gun like this with out too much trouble.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts