Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
New Zealand shoot

I can't make it over to the Land of the Long White Cloud but that shoot looks like a lot of fun and what a magnificent (and magnificently challenging) setting.

Regards

Davy

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'm giving it a go but some of those targets are very small for the ranges they are placing them at .... last year no one hit two of the targets including the guy who won :shock:

I heard yesterday that snow has forced the closure of roads around Tekapo so I hope it warms up a bit in the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Put snow in da mout - as the Hawaiians might say!

Hope the snow clears enough so you can get access. But the scene at the range must look pretty atmospheric though - shades of the opening scene from Enemy at the Gates! Don't forget to wear a white smock and put some snow in the mouth so those little targets don't see your breath! :D

Sounds like the degree of difficulty is pretty high though - maybe some bigger targets are in order. Anyway, good luck and good shooting. Watch those wintery roads on the way in.

Regards

Davy

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it was a fantastic shoot and my mate won the extreme long range challenge (don't yet know where everyone else placed) .... out to 1600 meters - (1750 yards)

This is driving into the valley where it was held from off the Farlie - Tekapo road ..... about 8:15am and before the sun rose over the peak at the head of the valley ..... around -7 degrees Celsius or 19 Fahrenheit.

A few of the shooters from one of the four seven-man squads .....

We are definitely doing this again! ..... :D

·
Registered
552 Posts
Long Range shoot in NZ

Congratulations on making it to the shoot. From the looks of that magnificent backdrop it was well worth the trip just for the environmental experience alone. At first when you said 7C I thought that that was surprisingly warm - then I saw it was MINUS seven!

No problem keeping the barrels cool anyway! Amazed also at the distance! I was shooting (very badly) at 700 yards the other day; using the trip meter on the car, I found that at 80kmh it takes half a minute to cover the distance. With that comp involving over well over double that range your friend's achievement is significant to say the least.

Thanks for sharing this experience.

Regards

Davy

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well .... we all just got the results and ...... blimey! I came second! ... yay ..... :D

... maybe I can do better at the next one ... :wink:

·
Registered
552 Posts
No mean achievement!

Nice closure on what, I am certain, was a keenly fought, highly competitive event in Stalingrad temperatures (Well maybe not that cold but cold enough!) Seems like those small targets didn't put you off!

Good on you! And good on the organisers - they must be pretty keen too.

Regards

Davy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts