Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
A lot of guys are going for 6.5x284 there brush buster. Its a barrel burner but damn does it throw the numbers down.

300win mag will get you to 1000, as will 260 remington or 6.5x55.

The benchrest guys are shooting 6BR rifles. Which is basically a short fat 243 that'll hold more powder. They use a 107 grain bullet and from reports ... it stays sonic until almost 900 yards. Which makes it a very very stable bench rest platform. You wont find it in use for hunting though as they dont make a 107 grain hunting round. I think Federal makes a 100 grain acubond 243 round though, so there might be hope with it.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
.50 cals always work too............it's just the money issue

~dom~

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Spade - actually Sierra has a 115 grain 6mm vld. Tubbs used it this year to kick butt at Perry and eat the 1,000 yard competition. He uses the 6XC, which is a renecked version of the 22-250 case.

For F-Class the big gun currently is the 6.5x284. Personally, I'm moving away from my 6.5x284 and going to the 280AI, which has nearly the 6.5x284 ballistics and beats it butt on the windage side when you use the Berger 168s, Sierra 175s or the Berger 180s. :D

JeffVN

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Of course, not to stir the pot or anything, but you also went from a short action to a long action. I suspect one of the long action 6.5's could be made to do even better.... :wink: (well, not taking into account barrel life...)

MEL

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Just get a PKM and put a few hundred rounds into the target... it works just as well. :lol:

BC

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
i've seen some high quality airsoft guns for about $600$ that have an efective range of about 1000 yards...or was it inches....o well forgot i said anything

~dom~

·
Registered
307 Posts
6.5x284 burns the barrel about as much as a .300 win mag. Outside of stopping power, and more round availability, there are no reasons to use the .300 win mag. Well those two AND a nice loud bang.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm surprised no one mentioned .308... I thought that was like one of the more accurate long range calibers. I have a .30-06 that I'd like to try hitting some steel targets at 700 yards with (longest range within 2 hours) I guess its all on preferences. It sounds like alot of the ones mentioned are very pricy to shoot compared to a .308 or other common cartridges.

-Brian

·
Registered
307 Posts
To effectively quote BC, the .308 is solid out to 800 yards. With a good rifle, extras, and conditions, it can be pushed out a little over 1000 yards. So no, really, the .308 is not a really effective choice for 1000 yard shooting. There are better rounds for less recoil (6.5x284, 6.5x55 Swede, etc etc).

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've been hearing a lot of buzz around the 6.5 WSM but have yet to see one. I posted a question about it a while ago but did not get a real conclusive response as to what the starting point for the wildcat is. I've herd it was a 300 wsm necked down. Can anyone confirm this?

I love my 6.5-284. She gets great results and won't kick the hell out of me.I built her for around $1200.00 I used a howa action and a mcmillan stock.Componets are getting easier to find. It seems cabelas has an endless supply of brass with reasonable prices.{ don't worry Mel I plan to order from this site as soon as my supply runs out I've been dying to try the Lapua stuff}

If you own a 308 shooting out to 1000 yards is not easy but if your an experienced handloader it will be manageable. one things for sure, if you go this route you will learn to be a better shooter. There are a few factory loads out there that will get you to 1000yards. Yes there are better choices than the 308 for 1000 yard but if you don't want to{or can't} tie up an investment in firearms but still want to shoot it's just fine.
From a 26 in match barrel I use Berger 185 gr vld and 46 grains of varget all packed in a virgin Federal case with a fed. primer.
Recoil for my 308's and 6.5-284 is about on par with the 6.5 slightly more.
But it's still much less than any 300wm I've ever fired
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Kenshin

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
I don't know anything about the 6.5 WSM but how about 6.5 Remington magnum? Think it has potential for long range use? I'm pretty sure that one and the 350 Remington magnum were just about the first short mags.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Kenshin,

You made me realize that I can now get better pricing on the lapua 6.5x284 brass! If I get that master level pricing, I can get the brass for under $50 for a box of 100, if its dealer pricing, I can get it for under $60. Still spendy, but better.

MEL

·
Registered
94 Posts
Mel,
That's a great price. As soon as I can get what I have used up I will give you a call. I'm going to wait until I need a few more things so I can place a bigger order and get you closer to your price goal. I will email a list of things I will need in the future. Hey as long as you can come close to what I'm used to paying it's all good. I dont mind paying a little extra for the great service I can expect from SC
Cheers,
Kenshin

1 - 17 of 17 Posts