Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, been doing lost of reading and searching for a good bolt action 223 for varmints in northern WI.

Want to use 62 grain bullets from AR in since I have many rounds.

To achieve betting accurancy with these bullets was told 1 in 9 twist rate would be best. Checked out lots of remington's over the last few days here and on other web sites for information on rate of twist and barrel lenghts.

Was going to buy a sps varmint but barrel is 26 and rat is 1 in 12 even if I cut to 20 inches, and re crown like Im looking for the rate of twist is still not best for my bullet weights.

Is there a production barrel and comapny that make this combo at a fair price?

223 1 in 9 twist 20 inch barrel bolt action with a decent stock alu piller free floated. Would like to be able to keep this in .5 moa.

Howa all theres state 1 in 12 inches.

A little back ground:

I shoot all the time have a remington 700 in 308 VSF with Burris Elite Tactical 3x12 mil dot all blue printed bolt, action,barrel and lug.

Have a another remington 600 action with a 308 stainless steel Kreiger barrel blueprinted comped & creo in B& C stock also. Leopold 1.75 to 6 var xlll.

Third remington is another 700 in 300 RUM Sendero with a burris fullfield ll
4.5 -24 with target knobs installed Ballistic mil dot using the insert rings from burris so we have lots of room for adjustment for longer range.

All three print groups less than .5 moa from a bench.

Am I getting to nuts for this 223 project or not any help out there.

Thanks, layback

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replys

Thanks, just not sure what type of moa I should expect from a 223.
That was my main confusion to 1 in 9 or 1 in 12 twist.
want to use my old 62 grain ball 223 ammo in it and still be able to shot thru the ears or eyes of the varmints.

Heard 1 in 9 twist is better for bullets over 55 grain in weight.

I have a low cost 223 available to me single shot heavy barrel at 20 inch
1 in 9 twist. But didi not want to spend money on good steel base and rings oplus scope if it did not shoot good moa of 1 or .5 preferred.

This is my issue before I pull the trigger on buying a new rifle and would get he same results as what I have access to presently.

Trying to use this groups answer to resolve my questions on what to buy.

thanks, Layback

· Registered
138 Posts
I am not sure what kind of accuracy you will get with the ball ammo, but that Savage 12 Varmint rifle should be easily under 1 MOA with good ammo.

· Registered
649 Posts
hey

Well most factory rifles these days shoot well under 1 moa and i have had many that shoot .5 or better. Ball ammo isnt the most accurate ammo out there. The ltr in the link about shoots .5 and better easily. But most of these rifles will shoot that with some pretty good quality match ammo or reloads.

You seem like you have a good amount of experience as to the rifles you own but take a look around the forum. There is some great info around.

stephen

· Registered
513 Posts
My remingtion 700 sps tactical in .223 shoots .5 moa and except for the first batch all the barrels are now 1 in 9" if you buy new. If you find one used just make sure it isn't one of the 1 in 12's.

Oh and I use the 62 grain remington match in mine to get the .5 moa

· Registered
1 Posts
Hello, been doing lost of reading and searching for a good bolt action 223 for varmints in northern WI.

Want to use 62 grain bullets from AR in since I have many rounds.

To achieve betting accurancy with these bullets was told 1 in 9 twist rate would be best. Checked out lots of remington's over the last few days here and on other web sites for information on rate of twist and barrel lenghts.

Was going to buy a sps varmint but barrel is 26 and rat is 1 in 12 even if I cut to 20 inches, and re crown like Im looking for the rate of twist is still not best for my bullet weights.

Is there a production barrel and comapny that make this combo at a fair price?

223 1 in 9 twist 20 inch barrel bolt action with a decent stock alu piller free floated. Would like to be able to keep this in .5 moa.

Howa all theres state 1 in 12 inches.

A little back ground:

I shoot all the time have a remington 700 in 308 VSF with Burris Elite Tactical 3x12 mil dot all blue printed bolt, action,barrel and lug.

Have a another remington 600 action with a 308 stainless steel Kreiger barrel blueprinted comped & creo in B& C stock also. Leopold 1.75 to 6 var xlll.

Third remington is another 700 in 300 RUM Sendero with a burris fullfield ll
4.5 -24 with target knobs installed Ballistic mil dot using the insert rings from burris so we have lots of room for adjustment for longer range.

All three print groups less than .5 moa from a bench.

Am I getting to nuts for this 223 project or not any help out there.

Thanks, layback
I have a stainless heavy 223 46.2 barrel

1 - 9 of 9 Posts