Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ill be getting a job this summer and i can save up around $500 or so. Im looking for a bolt action .223 rifle any idea of what to get? I dont need HIGH quality.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Yes you do need high quality! Go with the remington 700VS, you will never be sorry! Pluss you will have a M700 action to build a custom rifle on a few years down the road. Stick with the remington. If you do not want a heavy barrel get one of the base rimginton rifles that Mele build the SC rifles out of.

Just stick with the Remmy (or look for a used remmy rifle at the pawn shops)

Just my $.00002

edit for spelling

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It depends iff bass pro or wal mart has what ever. i doubt they would have a remmy, and it cost $800 thats out of my budget :( Maby i should get a .45? Cuse Cabelas has tons of those.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That Rem 700 sps looks very nice and good price! Ill have to see if bass has it. Other wise I can't get it. Not going to buy online sense im 17.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ahhh! look what I found. Remington Bolt Action Rifle Model Seven SS 308 $576! Ahh very nice!

Question though, what cal should I get?
*7MM

Im thinking the 308 or 7MM? Which is more popular so I wont have a issue in finding ammo?

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Mel said he can get a new SPS for $400, y not get that?

Get a .308

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Ammo is available for either one. If you are inexperanced get the .308. The 7 mm mag has lots of recoil and that is a detriment to most shooters espcially starting out.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
for a good basic gun/caliber match up - remington 700 in .308 will do a budgeted person wonders... get the BDL and it comes with iron sights that can be removed later if wanted..... but whatever u do, do it with a remmy.

*although i went with a 300 WM, i can't really afford ammo easily, i just don't eat for half the month...

·
Registered
994 Posts
Who dares diss the Savage?!

Keep it in mind, JC--it's a super shooter for the price, but the stock is garbage.

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
611 Posts

well hope you turn 18 before you buy unless your parent/s will sign 17 yr olds cannot legally buy any rifle thats federal law. otherwise agree with the remington might also look at Howa,or the non tactical savages for iron sights my .02 worth

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Mel said he can get a new SPS for $400, y not get that?

Get a .308
+1! And you will have a great action to build you first custom rifle in a few years! I am pretty sure Mel would discount the SC rifles if you supply your own action (in good condition). Something to think about. The Savage a decent rifle and some will shoot very well, but you need to look at what EVERY one else is using........What are the LEOs using? SWAT? Military? Not too many savages, mostly remington M700's! Do not get the model 7, nice little hunting rifle but it is NOT a tactical rifle. I know, I had one in 243 and it was no where near as accurate as my M700 BDL in 243.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
caver101 said:
I am pretty sure Mel would discount the SC rifles if you supply your own action (in good condition). Something to think about.
Yep, if its a 700 with floorplate (BDL or SPS) I give $300 credit

MEL

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
i have a remmy 700 adl .308 and its nearly the same gun as the sps....just a different stock....she shoots great-the best ammo i used in her in 150gr core lokt-roughly .75in groups at 100 yards--i'm sure the sps would be a great choice.

~dom~

·
Registered
994 Posts
caver101 said:
The Savage a decent rifle and some will shoot very well, but you need to look at what EVERY one else is using...
1) Everyone I've met has had only remarked on the accuracy of Savages,
2) Why should he be concerned with government agencies are buying?

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Oh crap, now I am getting called out by Snatch. (j/k man :wink: )

I have met quite a few folks that say savage is pure crap or they love it. It is like black and white........you love it or you don't.

How many custom tactical rifles are built on the Savage action? Use the Acu-trigger? ................. Thats my point. There are a LOT more aftermarket parts for the M700 and gunsmiths do not chringe when you bring in a M700 rifle. As I have heard a local smith say "Son...(as he shakes his head).....put down that walking stick and let me build you a real rifle"

Why look at what the gooberment is using? If they are gonna use it you can be sure that there will be ton of aftermarket parts for years to come (we are still getting parts for all of those old WWI and WWII rifles). And resale should be heigher than other rifles, just like the M700 5R milspec rifles.

Just go with what feels good to YOU man.

Just my $.000000000002 (I guess you can tell I am not a Savage fan :p )

1 - 20 of 23 Posts