Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

As an owner of 4 gun safes, one high end, (Liberty). One middle of the road, (Cannon). And 2 low end, (Stack-On), I can happily report on an excellent, low cost alternative to what I personally feel are overpriced gun safes. When you get down to basics gun safes are going to protect your collection from kids. Insurance statistics show that 90% of residential burglaries are by kids under the age of 16, and most are in the home for less than 2 minutes. Most any suitable "safe" will protect you from that. Fire protection is relatively worthless because again, insurance stats show water damages far more homes than fire. No gun safe I've ever heard of is waterproof. In that regard every safe in New Orleans was totally worthless to it's owners.

I just purchased one of these "On-Site" tool boxes from Greenlee.

http://www.greenlee.com/cat_docs/Storage08_lowrez.pdf

These are very strong and have recessed wells for 2 padlocks that cannot be reached once locked. Mine is 72" long and 24" square. I have it in my living room, and once it's covered with a nice couch throw, or bedspread you don't even notice it, or can tell what it is. Another plus is it allows for horizontal storage of weapons which prevents oil from running down the bore into the stock at the tang area. They are very spacious inside and I lined the bottom of mine with 28, 25 pound bags of lead shot, (700 pounds) so it cannot be moved. This coupled with the weight of the box itself along with the firearms makes it all but impossible to move. If you are handy and can work with wood, you can make some very nice felt lined wooden racks for your guns which allows you to store them without cases. These boxes can be purchased from Home Depot or Lowe's very reasonably compared to traditional gun safes, and work every bit as well, and will give as much or more cubic feet of storage. I'm very happy with mine.

This is it uncovered with both locks in place. I purchased 2 Master Lock Padlocks with Boron Carbide Shackles. I plan to do more with it in time. I just got it in place this past holiday weekend. I might panel it in with some nice wood which would even further disguise it. Bill T.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
Nice, how much?

About a fireproof safe. It may protect your firearms from the flames but it can't protect them from the heat. Guns are heat treated and cooking one in a house fire ruins that and they can't be safely shot afterwards.

·
Registered
575 Posts
nice idea! I am curious about price as well....as I never thought the "stack-on" were priced too bad.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Very interesting idea! I was looking for a better solution for a gun safe because I can't haul a 600lb behemoth up 2 flights of stairs. I'm going to buy a zanotti safe but it won't be ready until february and I desperately need something for the interim. Thanks for the idea! Can you post some pictures of the inside with how you are storing your guns?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
What I like is that it lets you rest the guns lying down as opposed to sitting on their recoil pads which can deform after a while.

How about pics of the inside?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
A big +1 on a pic of the inside.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I like your idea as well but you are gonna have to post some "after" pics showing whatever you do to "pretty it up" so I can show my wife your great idea. Ain't NO WAY she is gonna let me park a huge green tool box inside our house.... we do have a basement but I am uncomfortable with how damp it gets down there sometimes.

I've had two roommates who had full on super heavy safes and I hated those things on moving day!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Recon said:
we do have a basement but I am uncomfortable with how damp it gets down there sometimes.
How about usingone of those small electric units? I threw one in my safe. It's just a ceramic (I think) rod that is 'susposed' to warm the air inside to counter act the dampness. Honestly, I picked it up at a Wally World a few years ago c h e a p on clearance. I never bothered to research if they really work.....I also have thrown in a bunch of those silica packs. Any one I come across gets tossed on with the guns or the ammo.

·
Registered
80 Posts
True that in 99.99% of all break in scenarios you don't need the security of a high end safe, just something that keeps kids or knuckleheads out.

A few years back I built a "safe room" for a gun collector in his basement (I'm a contractor) . While it wasnt cheaper than one gun safe he got about 150 sq ft of highly secure storage for about 4k$ Including above a 3hr fire rating (all heavily grouted block with rebar, corrugated steel ceiling lined with 3x layered sheetrock, fire rated heavy steel commercial door with high quality locks) I guarantee anyone trying to get in it without the key would need a couple hours and alot of noise unless you were a pro locksmith. As an added bonus it would make a perfect panic room. I also poured a small floor safe into the floor for cash/documents etc.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm still thinking out loud on this one boys and girls. It's going to get covered for sure, most likely with a big couch throw for now. (Melanie ordered one as soon as we finished placing it.) I was also thinking of boxing it in with some nice Oak Veneer Plywood. The problem is I don't work with wood. It's not for lack of want, but rather I've already taken over one bedroom, and three large closets with gun related stuff, and I'm the only one on the block who actually uses the garage for my cars. I'm simply running out of house for any more "hobby related" stuff.

As for cost they run anywhere from $249.00 to $699.00. Mine cost $599.00. If you buy one shop several different Home Depots and Lowe's because both Knaack and Rigid also make them and they are all in competition with each other. The store manager at the Home Depot I bought mine from special ordered it for me, so I didn't get much of a break on the price. You may get lucky and find one that is the size you want. Most in store models are discounted.

Another nice thing about these is if you have a home with a basement they are waterproof up to the top of the door. On a regular vertical gun safe water will leak in as soon as the water level reaches the bottom lip of the door. Also, if you did want to use it vertically it wouldn't take much to weld 4 small feet on to one end, and use it that way. I think it's far better horizontally. It has a nice shelf in the back you can use for ammo storage, etc. All and all not a bad "safe" for the money. I'm sick and tired of paying over 2 Grand for an iron box to keep my guns in. Bill T.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SpaceGoD said:
Very interesting idea! I was looking for a better solution for a gun safe because I can't haul a 600lb behemoth up 2 flights of stairs. I'm going to buy a zanotti safe but it won't be ready until february and I desperately need something for the interim. Thanks for the idea! Can you post some pictures of the inside with how you are storing your guns?
This wasn't too bad to move. My wife and I were able to get it from the back of my truck in the driveway, into the house using only a standard 2 wheel dolly. As I mentioned I reload shotshells for trap shooting and lined the bottom of it with several hundred pounds of shot after we got it placed where we wanted it. For someone who would keep it in a basement or other location you could also chain the handles to something which would make the whole setup even more secure.

It isn't going to stop a "pro", but seeing as most break in's are kids it will protect well from that danger. For now I'm just storing the guns I'm keeping in it in cases. Here in Arizona with such a very low relative humidity, there is no danger of any rusting issues. For anyone living in a humid climate I would recommend some of those dissecant moisture packs. Bill T.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Recon said:
I like your idea as well but you are gonna have to post some "after" pics showing whatever you do to "pretty it up" so I can show my wife your great idea. Ain't NO WAY she is gonna let me park a huge green tool box inside our house....
As I said, I've got a couple throws ordered from Cabela's that should come in next week. It will be a bit before I do anything major with it. In all honesty this originally was my wife's idea. She commented on them some time ago when we were leaving Home Depot. She has always been a very practical thinker. It's one of the reasons she has so few girl friends. :lol: Bill T.

·
Registered
114 Posts
How about a Duracoat GAP camo? :D

Some other ideas would be, as you suggested to panel it in wood tho the lid may be challenging to panel without looking odd. You could also use tile, vinal flooring, or even wallpaper to cover it. Or, paint it brown then go back with black and trace some wood grain... paneling without the panels.

My old safe is a thin metal box with 2 cam style locks that use the same barrel key. Its got 4 holes in the back for mounting to a wall with some VERY large bolts and washers. I cant even tell you what it cost since Ive had it so long. Not very big either. It doesnt like scoped rifles unless you put them in sideways and take up 2-3 slots. A shotgun, unscoped lever gun, and 2 scoped rifles is about all it will hold. But, as stated before, the "smash and grabbers" wont be able to get into it or rip it from the wall.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have my 2 cheap Stack-On safes bolted to the wall as you have just described. It will stop the kids along with their "smash and grab" type hits. Anything you can do that will cost a thief time plays well on your side. We've all seen these videos of how thieves can break into these gun safes. The only problem I have with those staged movies, is who breaks into residential homes with 6 foot long, 40 pound railroad bars and Acetylene torches? If you have the equipment and time you can theoretically break into Fort Knox. Most kids come equipped with a rock or a shoe and not much else except for a couple of minutes before they run. Bill T.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
bloodwulf said:
How about a Duracoat GAP camo?
I wish I was talented enough to use an airbrush. It would look really nice with a outdoor theme mural or something along those lines. The Knaack chests come painted in a light tan color. In that regard they are much easier on the eyes than the bright green Greenlee uses. Bill T.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts