Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the Coast Guard, recognizing the fact they may need to put a hole in something rather thick and metal, has adopted the LW15 .499 AR 15 upper, using a Leitner Wise made 10 or 12 round magazines. The interesting part is that they claim that their .499 round and upper are capable of sub MOA accuracy, or 1 MOA at 400 yards. Seems pretty tight.

http://leitner-wise.com/products/499.htm

The .499 is a .50 AE cartridge, machined to allow for the use of a 7.62x39mm Colt bolt head, as the cartridge uses a rebated rim in the 7.62 size.

http://leitner-wise.com/products/499ammo.htm

Seems like the .50 Beowulf, really, only the .50 Beowulf uses 325-400 grain rounds, whereas the .499 is 300-385 grain. I'd imagine the recoil is similar; A 20 gauge shotgun. The .50 Beowulf can punch a half an inch crater in an inch thick plate using the 400 grain round.

Discuss whatever little there is to discuss.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Makes you think twice about drug running,atleast it would make me.

·
Registered
263 Posts
My, that is fun - to make almost .50 cal weapon based on 5.56 'controlled dispersion pattern assault rifle'! 9.3 Brenneke SVD is not even close :)
I wonder, though, why they dont just take Barret M8x or similar system? There are few cartrdiges that could match .50 BMG as anti-material round (perhaps our 14.5mm, but it is rarely used and must be recoiling like a small cannon).

BTW, one of my buddies pretended to be studying history of firearms used in foreign countries. He told me that after WW2 US Military was considering arming Coast Guard with high-powered air rifles. I seriously doubt this makes sense, but if such project really took place, please, let me know!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wonder, though, why they dont just take Barret M8x or similar system? There are few cartrdiges that could match .50 BMG as anti-material round (perhaps our 14.5mm, but it is rarely used and must be recoiling like a small cannon).
They don't need to destroy ships. Their frigates have got that one covered between missiles and the 5 inch deck guns the typically have. They need a solid armour penetrating gun in a gun fight. Someone hides behind a door? Get the gun with the .499 up, and punch a hole in the door and the sucker behind the door.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
sounds like a good round for some close quarters deer hunting!!! :lol:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if memory serves me correctly, I believe they scrapped that rifle and moved on.
Link of some sort? Source? Something other than just one man saying "nay"?

·
Registered
140 Posts
the DEA and US Coast Guard have been using .50 Beuwolf's and other oddball caliber AR15's for quite some time. Its not so much used as an anti material rifle but as a rifle for putting down those stubborn crack heads who dont go down so easy when hopped up on drugs. BC has a friend in a DEA Drug Interdiction Team and i have recently met him (still getting to know him). He says they have been using them for at least 6 years now. I should clarrify that this is by no means a standard issue rifle / carbine with the DEA or Coast Guard.

The Rifleman

1 - 8 of 8 Posts