Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey mel, could you do a review or find one about the M-14 dmr, it looks cool, or a place where i can find some info about it
thanks
ALex

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Pretty much all M-21 / M-25 / XM-25 rifles (what you call the M-14 DMR) are well built rifles. There are numerous companies and armories that make them. Springfield Armory is a well known DMR manufacturer... another one is Fulton Armory. Texas Brigade Armory will make them as well... there are several others who make excelent M-14 DMR rifles. I would have to say the Springfield Armory "Carlos Hathcock" M-25 would be the best FACTORY M-14 DMR rifle. There are better rifles... but they are custom made.

BC

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Ah yes... i forgot to speficy accuracy potential. Most of the M-14 DMR's are capable of 1 MOA. Sure... you might get a little under 1 MOA but that is the rule of thumb... expect 1 MOA or a little better with a quality M-14 DMR.

BC

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Hey Mel, how about making it one you build on a LRB Arms receiver with a built in scope rail on the bridge? If not maybe LRB would ship one out for eval already built. The company can be found at

http://www.lrbarms.com/pages/1/

Their recivers are fully forged like USGI not cast like all the others.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Okay, for all of you M14/M1A experts....

I need to gain a better working/building knowledge of M14's. What parts and pieces are required (beyond the stock, barrel and receiver) to build a M14 from scratch? Any tips/pointers would be welcome also.

thanks

MEL

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
These parts are needed for a Semi-Auto M-14 / M-1A.

1. Barrel
2. Bolt Lock
3. Bolt Lock Pin
4. Bolt Lock Spring
5. Bolt
6. Buttplate Screw, Long
7. Buttplate Screw, Short
8. Buttplate Assy
9. Buttstock Swivel
10. Connector Lock
11. Connector Lock Pin
12. Clip Guide
13. Clip Guide Pin
14. Ejector & Spring
15. Extractor Spring & Plunger
16. Extractor
17. Flash Suppressor
18. Flash Suppressor Set Screw
19. Flash Suppressor Nut
20. Firing Pin
21. Front Band
22. Front Sight
23. Front Sight Screw
24. Front Swivel, with Plate
25. Gas Cylinder
26. Gas Cylinder Valve Spindle
27. Gas Cylinder Valve Pin
28. Gas Cylinder Valve Spring
29. Gas Cylinder Lock
30. Gas Cylinder Plug
31. Gas Piston
32. Handguard Clip
33. Handguard
34. Hammer
35. Hammer Pin
36. Hammer Plunger
37. Hammer Spring
38. Hammer Spring Housing
39. Magazine
40. Magazine Latch
41. Magazine Latch Pin
42. Magazine Latch Spring
43. Operating Rod
44. Op Rod Guide
45. Op Rod Guide Pin
46. Op Rod Spring
47. Op Rod Spring Guide
48. Rear Sight Aperture
49. Rear Sight Base
50. Rear Sight Cover
51. Rear Sight Elevation Pinion
52. Rear Sight Windage Knob
53. Safety
54. Safety Spring
55. Stock Ferrule
56. Stock Liner
57. Stock Liner Screw
58. Stock
59. Trigger Guard
60. Trigger Housing
61. Trigger Pin
62. Trigger

If you need help finding quality parts just ask me... i am a HUGE fan of the M-14 and own quite a few...

BC

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Excellent! Thanks for the List BC. Are there available part kits? If so, who has the best.

I'm trying to get a DCM NM M-14 on loan to use for the upcoming high power season. There are only a few, but right now things look good. If I get one of them, I'll pick it up on April 23rd. This should give me a good example to use, get familiar and learn the ins and outs.

I'm still running throught he options for a SC-DM rifle.

MEL

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
There are some parts kits around, I will do a little looking around and see what I can find. The rifle itself is really pretty easy to put together once you look at one a few times, and have the tech drawings.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Theres not really any M-21 / M-14 DMR parts kits that i can find... Heres a few links for parts... all these companies make good parts. That reciever with intigrated 1913 rail looks really good... i would use that since the side mounted drilled and tapped recievers... to be honest... arnt to stable of a platform for long range shooting... especially with heavy scopes.

http://www.smithenterprise.com/0800_M14 ... s_Page.htm (National Match parts)

http://armscorpusa.com/Products/m14parts.htm (all around good parts)

http://www.fulton-armory.com/NMRearSight.htm (real nice rear sight... well made)

http://www.entreprise.com/Gunsmith/m14smithig.htm M-14 Billet recievers (very well made) and good gunsmithing

http://www.entreprise.com/Catalog/FHBrakes/M14fh.htm (very nice muzzle break)

http://www.entreprise.com/Catalog/FHBrakes/M14.htm (another very nice muzzle break)

http://www.dansshootingsupply.com/M-14.htm (very very good parts... high end)

BC

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wow, a lot of people like the m-14 dmr, its getting a lot of attition, but have anyof you people used a military issue one uet?
ALex

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
um... mel is former military, BC is current military... its a good chance that alot of people have used a military one. From what i understand the m14 DMR is just an Accurized springfield. Nothing special about it. Just a good solid field rifle.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Yea i carried a military M-14 DMR in Asscrackistan for about 5 1/2 months filling in for some one. I love it...

BC

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I used a DMR'd Winny M14 in my Snioer school last fall. I like the follow up shot ability with it, but like BC said the scope mounts did tend to work loose after a lot of shooting, and you had to Keep a close eye on it to make sure the POI was consistent. Mine had the USGI fiberglass stock, lightly bedded on the lugs only, and a NM gascylinder, piston, and spring guide. The trigger was heavy but good, so it was left alone. Basicly mine was an Issue M14 with a few mods, including a built up cheek piece i made for it from a cut down Garand stock comb piece. I think Mel should have less problem there since it will not have the scope as high mounted on 1913 rail as on the side mount.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Heres a nice one i found on the net... its well made with good parts.

Here is a USMC M-14 DMR. You can expect .75 MOA 5 shot groups @ 100 yards with a high quality M-14 DMR with M-118LR ammo. Notice on the USMC M-14DMR the barrel is extra heavy and has an AK-74 style muzzle break.

BC

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Ah yes, very nice. This is the direction I am heading with my thoughts on a SC-DMR. We'll see how the numbers work out. If I cannot offer some new at a good price point, it'll probably not happen. I don't want to just be offering "another NM M14".

MEL

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i like the USMC M-14Dmr, the way i tlooks, and sutch, the guys who used it how mutch did yo ulike it? and say in a recon position if you were a DM in you squad would you use an m-14 or something of your own wants? or mission needs?
thanks
ALex

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I am with a reconassaince unit... and i was a DM for 5 1/2 months filling in for a sniper who was injured in my Plt. So i think your question is just for me. :) I used an XM-25 for several months... then used a new (brand new) M-14DMR (the USMC M-14 DMR pictured above). I really really loved carrying that rifle... the follow up shot capability allowed me to get the job done several times when if i had a bolt rifle it would have been impossible... one time it was an insurgent with an RPG who had just stood up to fire and i fired off the move... kneeled and fired again... hitting my target the second time. I know if i had a bolt rifle that RPG would have been fired and we probably would have had some guys injured... if not worse. The M-14 DMR i carried had an AK-74 type muzzle break wich screw on and off by the twist of a hand... and came off for attachment of a 35Db supressor. (pictured above) As i stated before... you can expect .75 MOA 5 shot groups @ 100 yards distance with M-118LR ammo with such a rifle... and the reliability, range, and firepower supasses that of the MK-12 Mod 0 / 1 / 2 SPR rifles wich are 5.56X45mm caliber.

BC

1 - 20 of 60 Posts