Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... i just downloaded the M-24A2 promotional video from http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/m24_video.htm and he said "the 700 action drops into the stock with no modification whatsoever" does that mean its not glass bedded?

I would guess... and hope that it is indeed glass bedded... but "with no modifications whatsoever" leads me to think it is not...

BC

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have 2 things to say after watching that video.

#1 I think the aluminum bedding block may be the reason you dont have to glass bed

#2 BOOOOO!!! they still stuck with the screw type adj LOP....i much prefer the friction adjustment.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alluminum bedding block or not... it should still be glass bedded.

BC

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Ok, I want that rail sys. What's it called M.A.R.S.?? That thing just looks mean. Not that I can afford the IR or the nightvision, but it sure catches ur eye.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
:shock: For that much I could have one custom made.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You could have one custom made for less actually... the 30 MOA long action is $489... thats the one i wanted (untill i saw the price).

BC

·
Registered
148 Posts
I watched the video and the new M24A2 is a beautiful rifle with all her attachments. I just don't see why people need those kinds of rail mounts and fancy ass equipment on your rifle unless your Military, Police, or even PMC. Im just a civilian so I really don't think I need the NV or the IR beam, unless I start to hunt the most dangerous prey of all...........MAN :twisted: (j/k by the way)

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
tt- I have not even close to the amount of funds necessary for a 450+ rail system. But it sure as hell looks bad ass! :D That is the only real reason, if I win the lottery...........u bet your ass I'm spending half of it to build myself and armory. I will have the best toys ever and all SC members will be welcome to come and use my equpment whenever. :)

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
1st, the M24 has never been glass bedded, always has just used the aluminum bedding block (like your LTR, 700P's, HS Precision rifles, and the upcomming SC2). No, aluminum bedding blocks are not as good as glass bedding, but they are NEARLY as good.

After watching the video, the M24A2 has been well thought out. I don't like the LOP adjustment (I've never like the one on the M24, and it appears unchanged). I also do not like the scope choice, the LR/T 3.5-10x is not as rugged as the Mk4 10x. I side with the old school boys and prefer fixed power on a duty sniper rifle. But at least they chose a scope with the mil-dots in the FFP. I also like their reticule choice. The suppressor was well thought out and I'm happy to see its an integral part of the system. Notice the barrel steps down so the suppressor can recess back over the front part of the barrel, this reduces over all length, which can be a draw back to suppressors on sniper rifle. The rail is okay, I guess. I'm not a rail fan, but I do see the usefulness. I like their night vision choice, I think its the best fit for a sniper rifle, you never have to change anything on your day scope, it stays in place. The rail is nice in that it accomidates the night vision. I don't like the size of the 10 round mag, BUT, they come with a 4 round which would fit flush, so the size of the 10 rounder is not critical, you don't have to use it, but you have it if you need it. Notice the whole system (mag included) is still setup for long action, so the SF boys appear to have their hand in it (at least a little). They are the ones who get them in 300 Win Mag

anyway, just some quick observations

MEL

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ballistic_Coefficiency said:
Alluminum bedding block or not... it should still be glass bedded.

BC
Your opinion is a very common one with a good basis.....but one I don't share.

I must admit that I will gladly give up a tiny (if any, in many cases) accuracy advantage to never have to worry about solvent contaminated or just plain failed or old bedding material. The ability to remove the the action from the stock without worry is a also an advantage I like.

Heck, someday we might even catch up with the Brits and forget traditional bedding altogether and go to a permanant-bonded chassis system with a bolt-on grip. :shock:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have ALL my long range / tactical rifles glass bedded... i dont compromise accuracy for ANYTHING. Keep in mind the M-24A2 is designed for the military... where you might have a half a second to shoot a target who is passing by a window... and if you compromise accuracy when building the rifle... should you expect the Sniper to actually hit the target 100% of the time? Now... we all know that a Sniper hitting his target 100% of the time is not going to happen... but we should give the Sniper a weapon that is fully capable... and let him fullfill its purpose.

BC

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Crazdgunman said:
Heck, someday we might even catch up with the Brits and forget traditional bedding altogether and go to a permanant-bonded chassis system with a bolt-on grip. :shock:
I do like the AI rifles... but there are many other options that we have had and do use today. Like the AR-10 / AR-15 that was designed in the 1950's by Eugene Stoner... a retired US Marine i might add :wink: (and continues to be updated constantly). The EDM "Windrunner" rifles are also made in the US... so are the Barrett rifles... all furniture rifles. The rifles are there... the US Military has chosen other rifles... the M-24 SWS and the M-40A3 on the proving grounds (and logistics table). You shouldnt have to remove the action from the stock ever... unless you need to replace a broken part or somthing along that line... and that is done by an Armorer who knows how to properly put it back together (i would imagine most Snipers do as well). As far as gettig solvent down the outside of the barrel and onto the bedding compound... this can be avoided by not dripping solvent everywhere and by attaching a towell around the barrel with a rubber band. (somthing i learned in DM school). The options are out there and we are using furniture rifles to date... there just not "standard issue" to Snipers.

BC

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not unless i can convince my CO to fillin out papers to say the part is for use in the Military. Same thing with Cops and accesories for there AR-15's... ect ect.

BC

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Gotcha. I figured that it was a discount for Military Personel, but as it is remington I should have known.

John

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ballistic_Coefficiency said:
I have ALL my long range / tactical rifles glass bedded... i dont compromise accuracy for ANYTHING. Keep in mind the M-24A2 is designed for the military... where you might have a half a second to shoot a target who is passing by a window... and if you compromise accuracy when building the rifle... should you expect the Sniper to actually hit the target 100% of the time? Now... we all know that a Sniper hitting his target 100% of the time is not going to happen... but we should give the Sniper a weapon that is fully capable... and let him fullfill its purpose.

BC
I think that compromise is certianly made and accepted in the design of tactical rifles regarding accuracy. Otherwise, snipers would just use benchrest rifles straight from the light-varmint class (sans popular pink, red and yellow paint schemes, hopefully!).

I have found that the biggest factor by far in deciding first-round success in the field is not a razor-sharp rifle, but the shooters ability to range, come-up, and wind-dope, assuming that the rifle has the ability to hold comfortably under one MOA. Bedding-block rigs can hold sub-MOA without a problem, and I value the ability to disassemble them (though admittedly that is a very rare occasion.)

My varmint / target rifles are bedded, but my tactical rigs are not.

I use a Sinclair bore-guide with its chamber sealing O-ring to prevent solvent from invading the bedding via the main stock bolt thread hole. I toss a towel over the comb of my stock during cleaning just to catch any drips that my ruin the finsh as the brush goes into the bore-guide...but no drops ever get near the outside bedding edge.

(When solvent starts dribbling onto the outside of my rifles during normal cleaning....I've had too much coffee!)

Like I said though, there are arguments for both types.

Personally, I think "glass bedding" is on it's way out. I shoot benchrest too, and admittedly glass (along with glue-ups) still rule, but technology is moving forward...and as history has shown, the military is usually the last to get on the bandwagon when it comes to rifle technology.

I'd say this FN PGM Mini-Hecate is the future of real life sniper rigs. The days of "bedding" are coming to an end.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts