Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I dont think the Military will release that information... but i do know that the military likes to use IMR 4064 in the 7.62X51mm ammo for rifles and machineguns... i just dont know if they use it in the M-118LR ammo as well...

Let me call a few friends up and ask... if any one would know it would be them.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
*USE LOAD INFORMATION AT YOUR OWN RISK*
*ALWAYS DOUBLE AND TRIPPLE CHECK THE LOAD AMMO USING LOAD MANUALS BEFORE USING THE AMMO*
(dont sue my ass if you blow up your favorite rifle)

Here it is...

42.5 grains of IMR 4064
Sierra 175gr MK's
WLR Primer
Match Grade Brass - Case trimmed to 2.015"
Oal 2.815"

NOTE : Match grade brass for 44.5 grains of IMR 4064 should be Lake City or equivelent Brass...

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I read in the American Rifleman that Alliant Technosystems won a contract to supply Reloder-15 to load sniper ammo.

Or at least I think it was Reloder-15.

Has anyone heard about that?

Mad

P.S. I just checked http://www.alliantpowder.com
and according to Alliant, Reloder-15 is now the official powder used for M-118 ammo.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Reloader 15 was the original manufacturer for the test ammunition... but it was to dirty of a powder if you ask me... IMR 4064 has allways been a military favorite... since IMR was formerly (possibly still is?) owned by DuPont wich had very large military contracts dating back the the mid 1800's.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
no longer owned by Dupont - Now owned by Hodgdon powders. Lots of folks are concerned that they will cut the inventory of powders since they have several that are close in burn rate and temperature.

JeffVN

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
:shock: They better not cut IMR 4064... i use that powder in at least a dozen loads i make :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Would the 175gr Sierra HPBT-MK be a bad choice for game such as whitetail or mulies? I've heard the 168gr Sierra HPBT-MK is a good bullet too, but I've never known anyone to hunt with them.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Well, frankly, no, its not a good hunting bullet. Will it work? Yes, its all about shot placement. But these bullets are designed for match target shooting, they have a thin jacket and are not designed to expand. They fragment quite easily and penetration and weight retention is not good.

On a light animal like a mulie or whitetail, they can work, but its not recommended.

MEL

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Might as well be using FMJ, for everything Mel said....some of the premium tipped hunting ammo like Accubond has a higher BC than match ammo in the same caliber will though...

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
M-118LR (175gr SMK) works good for huntin the 2 leged varmints of the world... but im not quite sure it would be the best choice for hunting Game. The copper jacket is known for full seperation from the lead core... wich works fine for the 2 leged varmints some people hunt. :) But it wouldnt be a good choice for other game...

BC

·
Registered
777 Posts
The Barnes All-Copper Triple Shock X-Bullets really should be considered as an all around bullet. Quite a few people have got really good accuracy with them, there's no jacket to seperate, and they come in boat tail hollowpoint form. They seem to penetrate very well, open all the time, etc. The only problem with them is the cost. You could use it on two legged varmints as well as regular game. The BC is pretty high as well.

I know I harp on these all the time, but I think they're a better (if slightly more expensive :wink: ) mousetrap.

Like Mel said though, its all about shot placement.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The best long range hunting bullets that i can find are Lost River Ballistics bullets ( http://www.LostRiverBallistic.com )... but just the bullets (per 20) run more than a box of high end ammo. :? The BC is high... up to .715 in .284 with a 160gr bullet and .894 with there 773gr .50BMG load. Here is a list of there bullets listed by caliber and BC... shown in a chart next to all other major manufactures with there bullets and BC. http://www.lostriverballistic.com/LRB/O ... tories.cfm As you can see... Lost River is obviously superior. Only flaw with there bullets is the price of shooting them...

And for all you .300 RUM shooters out there... looking for match grade factory ammo? Lost River makes it... its about 80 bucks a box.

300 Ultra Rem. 180 grain
Bullet: J36 .308-180 grain
Ballistic Coefficient: .672
Velocity f.p.s.: 3350

300 Ultra Rem. 165 grain
Bullet: J36 .308-165 grain
Ballistic Coefficient: .636
Velocity f.p.s.: 3550

300 Ultra Rem. 140 grain
Bullet: J36 .308-140 grain
Ballistic Coefficient: .565
Velocity f.p.s.: 3650

Here is a list of all there factory ammo they make http://www.lostriverballistic.com/LRB/C ... cfm?CNum=4

BC

·
Registered
101 Posts
has anyone tried one of these M11LR in the post above it says Oal 2.815" is this ok just looking in my speer manual and it says max cart length 2.810

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
At one time the M118 LR sniper and match grade ammo from Lake City was loaded with 175 gr SMK, 43.1 grains of RL-15 in LC match brass and I guess their own in house primer. I have loaded this load in FederalMilitary cases with CCI-Br2 primers and either 175 gr SMK bullet or 178 gr Hornady AMax bullets or Berger 175 gr VLD bullets all with very good results. Velocity is around 2655 ft/sec. I load the smk and the Amax to 2.825" COL and the Berger VLD to about .007" from touching the lands. The Berger load is the most accurate but will not fit the magazine. In this load, the RL-15 powder shoots very clean.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

1 - 20 of 24 Posts