Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are the Mods to my City issue M14(USGI WINCHESTER)

Here she is as issued(second from top with some of my others)

Here she is with the raised comb section added, as well as the QD stud for the bipod.

here is the bedded, raised combstock prior to camo

Here is the bedding job, note the skin bed of marine epoxy over the steel bed as in the scout. The action only sits on the smooth portions of the bedding, the rest was left for reinforcement purposes to protect the vital thin edges when removing the action from the stock. This is on the interior portions mostly a skin bed job, as the fiberglass stocks fit pretty tight, the top portion is the thickest to increase clamping pressure with the trigger guard, as that is what positions the rifle in the stock.

Stock and bedding with base coat on them.

Camo applied

Items used to apply the camo, next to the finished product, total cost fo the camo $6 and 35 minutes time.

I will post all the details later, I just wanted to get some pics up. Let me know how the camo looks.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
nice M14

looking pretty good... like the paint job, making me wonder how i could do with some rattle cans and some time, hmmm :) what kind of scope are you gonna use on the bad boy? done any trigger mods yet? gotta say I have a soft spot for a good M14 DMR as that is what i used in Iraq, and it did its job like it always has. thinking about putting one together once i am out - just to kinda "keep the feeling" if i could. but your gun is looking good. keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
holy HELL--thats a good lookin stock M8--it beautiful

dom

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Looks like you've done an excellent job, mlammers! Is that an original USGI fiberglass stock on the M14? I've always heard they were THE BEST stock for the M14.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tx shooter and hypno,

Thanks for the compliments. I learned that trick from my instructor at sniper school. If I were building this rifle for sale, I would use duracoat in lieu of the spray paint, but this is a work gun that will get banged around, drug through the woods, and in general used hard, so the camo must be easy to touch up. I was going after a look that will blend in well in varied terrain, like Grass, dirty parking lots, fields, and woods, the white pine branch works good, and the price is right.

The mechanical mods to this rifle are as follows: NM gas system(unitized for a free float barrel), Schuster Gas plug for slowing the oprod and minimizing brass travel, S+K mounts, Warne Rings, the Scope is a Bushnell Elite 3200 10X40 tactical model, NM Spring guide, and finally the Oprod/Barrel contact minimized by careful hand lapping and judicous use of lube. I also plan to work the trigger, but it is very good right now, so that is not real pressing, it is a TRW group. Yep its a GI fiberglass stock.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
That thing looks motivated...Are you getting more eager to use it at the school as you work on it?

Seriously, great job. The bedding came out looking better than a lot of it I have seen from other smiths even, and the camo is excellent. Did you use a template to give it that texture?

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
nice job

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Muzz,

The only template used was the pine branch, I just held it up against the stock at differing angles, and sprayed through the needles. It gives a very good distorting effect to hide the angles of the rifle, and like I said the price was right. The paint gives a very soft texture, its an ultra flat by Krylon, designed for camo work. I buy it at Walmart for $3 a can. One can of base does a whole rifle, and then some, one can of accent does 3 or more.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
mlammers,

You know looking at your photo's I went to freds m14 stocks and almost bought a synthetic. I opted out at the last min, but between you and muzz I am kept pretty broke. Oh well the bank has plenty of money, they didn't need that mortgauge payment any way. Did I ever mention I can be impulsive when it comes to guns? :lol:

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Freds is where this one came from, it was one of the ones that cost $25 I think, I ordered it for the city about 3 years ago. All our M14s came with very nice wood stocks, that would not have lasted in the trunk of a car, so glass was the best way to go. Freds stocks come with all the metal too, he is a good guy to order from. I Know on the impulse thing as you can see from all my projects.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I confirmed with UPS my stuff will be here tomorrow to finish out the DMR and get her shooting. I will try to finish up that night, as I have 10hrs of quals on hand/shotgun during the day tomorrow I leave for Perry late Thursday afternoon. I hope to shoot her, the garand and springfield one last time Thursday morning before Perry.

I should at least get a decent zero Thursday, but it will be on PMC ball ammo, not match. I am trying an experiment there too, carefully reseating, and measring(the charge to the average of 10 weighed ones) out their ball ammo to see what groups I can squeak out. I should get the fire lapping in on Thursday too I hope.

Hey Muzz can you delete the extra post above , I am no sure how that happened thanks

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is the finished(almost) product. The scope is mounted, the oprod is lapped, the schuster gas system is in place, and the camo is done with the exception of the metal and scope. I want to wait on those camo projects until after it is evaluated and zeroed to make sure nothing need adjusted and the scope is working OK. I have the lapping loads all ready to go, and if the wife gets home in time I will shoot it today.

I should explain the reason for lapping the oprod/barrel area in the M14. In this rifle the oprod runs under the barrel, it can and most often does, very slightly rub the bottom of the barrel. This rubbing has an adverse affect on the accuracy of the rifle, as it obviously throws off the harmonics of the barrel. Lube here is very important, and even better is to lapp the area to get it cleared and then lube it well to boot. You can clearly see in the pics the area that was rubbing, as it is the only area the lapping compound cleaned up(shiny metal showing). This area will be well greased with lubriplate so even with bare metal no rusting will occur.

total package

oprod/barrel lapped areas

close up of oprod lapped area

oprod clearance under barrel

schuster gas plug

Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Thats a nice set up. What did you use to take town you op rod to keep it from rubbing?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I used 600 grit lapping compound. I placed it on the op rod, and on the bottom of the barrel, much as you would the lugs on a bolt gun when you lap them into full contact. In this case, the only point in contact was a small area right dead center on the rod. Cycling the assembled action 100 times, check the contact, 100 more check etc. It took 525 cylces to get just enough off to get the bill through. I cant wait to get her out to the range.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
whats the improvement of the schuster gas plug ?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It allows you to slow the oprod speed by venting gas off through the plug. O you can shoot slower powders, and heavier bullets, as well as smoothing out the rifle, and reducing recoil/muzzle jump. Most guys that have used them say it really shrinks the group size, mostly from smoothing out the action, and reducing muzzle jump on rapid fire.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
sounds like something i will have to remember when it start working up my DMR.... anything to make a good gun great is worth it. thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here are some groups fired form the DMR this morning, The one in the bullseye target was fired slowly taking my time in about 2-3 minutes time so the barrel would not heat up. The group was fired using the R1M1 South African ball with the match bullet. It measures .6 MOA for 3 rounds. The other target is also fired using R1M1 Ball, I fired it in less than 30 seconds for the five shots, I simply fired as fast as I could get back on target, it meausres .875MOA. This is one of my standard practice targets on regular printer paper. Both groups are 100yd in distance.

Clearly the DMR is running well, I will shoot some GMM in her this week, as well as Black hills, UltraMax, HSM, IMI, Remmy, 118LR, and 118 173gr. I will also try the 110 TAP round. We will shoot some glass too, so I will try to get pics of the groups, and glass shots.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

You missed the wench....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts