Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I am reading the "ban" on Norinco firearms is to expire on May 28, 2005. That means that the $400 Norincos could possibly be on the market again. Does anyone know who imported the Norinco M1A's? I will try to contact them to see if there are any plans to start importing them again.

Hey Muzzleblast, you are up in Canada, they are still selling/importing the Norinco's up there arn't they? Price?

Another thread about the "ban".

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=354426&page=1

What are the laws as to buying a firearm from someone in Canada, like a Norinco M1A? Is that still a no-no?

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Id rather work and save and buy a gun made in AMERICA!!!!

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
I looked at buying one several years ago since the US made one wasn't in my price range. I guess the recievers are good but many of the other parts are soft steel and not worth the money.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, actualy the chi-com recevers are better than the springfield armory ones. The chicom recivers are made on US tooling, guess what - we sold them our tooling! The chicom recivers are the closest match to a USGI spec reciver on the market. The Springfield is just a clone of the original USGI reciver. The soft metal is a rumor that "I believe" was started by Springfield (what would you do if you were selling a base model rifle for $1k and your compeditors were selling the same for $400). There are quite a few test where the chi-com M14's were rockwell (sp?) tested and meets milspec. (or much better) Springfield (I have no first hand knoledge) has had quite a few QC problems and quite a few buggers slip out the doors of late. The Springfield recivers are cracking when firing 190gn bullets, that has been documented in a bunch of cases.

The worst (or most widespread) problem was the headspace issue on the chicom rifles. A lot of the rifles would be "no go" or "field" out of the box. With proper optics a lot of the rifles would outshoot the springfields. Another was putting a USGI bolt in them.

When the Norinco's were $395 you could buy the norinco and have a smith build a "super match" type rifle for less than you could buy the base grade springfield. Now with the polytech's and the norinco's from $600 to $800 you can still build a supermatch type rifle a LOT cheaper than a springfield (and have a better action).

I am like you and try to buy American when I can, but sometimes American greed gets in the way of the American way. The way I look at it the Springfields are WAY over priced. (That shooting mat you ordered is made overseas)

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, springfield makes a very nice rifle and if I had $2k I would buy one of them first!!

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Yea I agree the Springfield M1As are way to much, and if I can get an M1A that cheap I may even look into it. Just had a drive by neuron that put a 'F*ck China' thought into my brain. :?

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
By end of the world you must be reffering to when I take over right?

"Mr. President, what is your first act as the new commander in chief?.......... What do you think? INVADE CHINA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've built 3 M-14's using the norinco as my base.I've also used the 1911's for some pistols. They have all been great rifles. I'm sort of with Caver on this one. My rifles beat out my friends but I've used better barrels, other stock components.Through the process I employ US and Canadian gunsmiths who do great work and in turn I support them.
I 've built super match rifles for under $1000.00 While I would in many ways rather buy Canadian or US made products. I would rather spend the money and know that the extra I've spent goes into the employee's pocket and not the CEO's. This is not always the case. I've spoken with some people who have worked in the springfield factory as well as a few major manufactures. At the time an assembley line worker was making on average $12.00/hr with no bennefits for the first year. I think the most he said he could expect to make was $18.00/hr with health but no dental unless he tried for another position in say marketing. But unless he was a "friend" of someone he had no chance in hell. It's dam near impossible to raise a family on that. At the time he was going to night school to become an accountant and 2 years later he finished, but not before he was laid off 3 months prior to finishing because of cut backs. He was able to get another job and finish school. I'm gald to say he now works for a major firm in Texas, where he now makes a good enough living that he dose not have to worry if his kids are going to starve.

I don't mean to be anti American or anti anyone for that matter.Lets face it it's a big table and we "all" have to eat.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your not anti American - you are anti GREED :wink: (like the rest of us)

I liked your post and agree with it all the way!! I have seen some of the Norinco 1911 builds and man........they are sweet!!

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Yea, the big problem with this country is big business has exported all the good paying blue collar jobs to foreign countries. Can you say NAFTA. If you get something made in the USA there is a good chance it isn't. Due to loop holes diffrent parts can be made in foreign countries and even partially assembled there. The item is then transported to here and final assembly takes place, then they stamp "made in the USA" on it. Many US companies have sold out this country and many foreign business have bought US companies and screwed the American worker. Why pay someone in the US a living wage when you can have a political prisner build it for free in China. Another tyrick is to have a mfg. plant in a US territory ir protectorate. They pay 3rd world wages, but have the us stamp on it.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
i agree with you guys. I just read the side of my hex key tool from RCBS it reads in small print on the side.................

MADE IN CHINA :(

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

You know, if people didn't have the mentality of, "buy American", and started to buy foreign guns more, in the short term the foreigners would win out, but in the long term America would win out - you see as demand dropped for expensive American products, the companies would in turn drop their price to keep supply up. With the reduced prices, not only would poeple start to buy the American guns more again (better quality, giving other Americans the money), but due to their new cheapness you could have two rifles instead of the one. :D

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
in a perfect world lots of things would run perfectly, but unfortunatley we will all have to wait till I become president to see any major changes......

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
+1

and as for :

Heh, you'll need 51 buddies in the Senate and 218 in the House to get anything done. Otherwise, you're just dreaming. Wink
I know you want to run for congress Recoil :wink:

I have a few SC members that I'm watching out for my cabinet and when the time comes, I'll let you know..........

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
APK may become president, but wait until I become supream dictator of the world. Things will get straightened out then :lol:

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
ek I think you misunderstood, I just use the term president to get me elected, then.......well...........'on my signal............unleash hell'

1 - 20 of 31 Posts