Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While waiting for my M1A I have been musing over the scope I am going to put on etc. A thought occured to me that the M-14 had a gas system shut off for launching grenades. Also in sniping there are times a semi auto will give away your position by flinging the brass out. Has anyone ever tried turning off the gas tube there by turning it into a bolt action? If so what is the effect on accuracy, velocity, and trajectory?

BTW I am probably going to put a Leopold scope with the German #1 reticule on. Probably the 3-9x40 but not setteled on the power yet.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

I can't speak for the M1, but in general placing the gas regulator into the gas shut-off position will not effect anything to any great degree.

The lack of movement in the gas parts may make for slightly better accuracy, but the gas port is near the end of the barrel, and by the time powder burns up the gas block the bullet has virtually left the barrel already. Any effect on velocity or trajectory will be minute - it will not require a different zero.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
I never tried it, but I heard an SKS is more accurate with the gas piston removed. If anyone does decide to try it, please put the gas tube back on before firing :lol:

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I have heard of it being done to shoot sub sonic ammo. I don't own a M1, so I am not sure about the accuracy. Not sure how to even turn the gas off. I hope to own one some day, but I have heard that they are addictive as well (and you want to spend money on them all of the time :D ).

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mele said:
I like your choice of reticule.

MEL
Thanks. Now I need to get the money to buy it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Muzzleblast said:
I never tried it, but I heard an SKS is more accurate with the gas piston removed. If anyone does decide to try it, please put the gas tube back on before firing :lol:
Yugo SKS has switch to close gas hole

·
Registered
348 Posts
I know there was some talk about the #1 reticle. Mel, did you find any more scopes out there that offer it?

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Zeiss and Leupold have been the only ones that I've been able to find that readily advertise using a german #1. I know there are some other european scope makers that use it, but I do not know them as well. I'm pretty sure IOR offers it as well.

MEL

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ekaphoto said:
AmmoHouse said:
I know there was some talk about the #1 reticle. Mel, did you find any more scopes out there that offer it?
I found a reticule similar from Burris. midway shows the same reticule for the leopold #1, #4 and this one.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... mid=235985
I looked at it and the burris is NOT the #1, but similar to the German #4 by Leopold. Looks like leopold or nothing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts