Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my M21 Tactical and would like some advice on what scope to purchase. I plan on using it for target practice, indoor and outdoor. The outdoor shooting range has a distance of 1000 yards max and the indoor one is about 50 feet. I was looking at the Leupold homesite and felt completeley overwhelmed with the choices.
I guess I would like to ask if anyone has this rifle and what they think of it since it is my very first purchase. I hope I made a great investment?
will this rifle be okay for deer hunting or is it too heavy?
Thank you,
Simon

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Nice rifle. The M21 is fine for deer as long as you don't mind packing it. As for scopes that is a little harder. What shooting experance do you have? What is your budget? What range are you going to be shooting? You said 50 -1000 yards at the ranges, but are you actually going to be shooting that far? If you are deer hunting, what kind of terrain, brush, open fields etc? Also will you be carrying the rifle and stalking deer, or shooting from a deer stand over a field in Texas? A little more info and we can help answer your questions a little easier. BTW if you are new to shooting it's OK, we all were at one time. Don't be afaraid to ask questions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have zero rifle shooting experience. I do own a few hand guns so that is the only experience that I have with shooting. I would say that I can spend, at max, a thousand dollars if it came down to it on a lense. As for range and terrain, I will be stalking the deer in California and shooting at max of 600yrds or so at the outdoor shooting range.
I have question on the ammo. Springfield recommends that I use Federal Match ammo but when I go to the Federal Homepage they state that the ammo not be used in semi-automatic rifles? I don't want to ruin my rifle by using the wrong ammo, you know?
One other thing, How am I supposed to use the sights on my rifle? I have not been able to find out how to look through the sights while wearing my glasses and since I have to take my glasses off I can't see what I am going to shoot at. Please don't laugh at the last question. I am sure that it is by far the dumbest question but I have a brain fart. Maybe I should pull out of med school now and choose a different carreer. Thanks for your time,
Simon

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
nomis said:
I have zero rifle shooting experience. I do own a few hand guns so that is the only experience that I have with shooting. I would say that I can spend, at max, a thousand dollars if it came down to it on a lense. As for range and terrain, I will be stalking the deer in California and shooting at max of 600yrds or so at the outdoor shooting range.
I have question on the ammo. Springfield recommends that I use Federal Match ammo but when I go to the Federal Homepage they state that the ammo not be used in semi-automatic rifles? I don't want to ruin my rifle by using the wrong ammo, you know?
One other thing, How am I supposed to use the sights on my rifle? I have not been able to find out how to look through the sights while wearing my glasses and since I have to take my glasses off I can't see what I am going to shoot at. Please don't laugh at the last question. I am sure that it is by far the dumbest question but I have a brain fart. Maybe I should pull out of med school now and choose a different carreer. Thanks for your time,
Simon
First of all glad you were honest about your shooting experance. It really helps when you approach shooting with an open honest approach. As for how do you use the sights, don't worry, many "seasoned shooters" dont use proper tenique.

First, find out what eye is dominate. If you are right handed you are PROBABLY right eye dominate, but that is not always the case. I am an example of that, being left handed but right eye dominate. Shoot with your dominate eye no matter what dominate hand you are. As for rifle position get a good book on shooting since I need to either be there or have photo's to show you.

Getting to the use of sites, you need to keep both eyes open, focus on the front site. With a peep site the front will automaticaly center. The rear site and the target will be slightly blurry. You can use either a "6 o clock hold" or hold center mass. The 6 oclock hold the top of the front site is right at the bottom of what you want to hit. The center hold is the front site is in the center of your target. Either is fine, just find what you like best the stick with it. Using proper hold, breathing position etc hold on target until you fire. If you get to tired stop and rest. You will have some wobble at all times so learn to trust your wobble, but when you get tired, the wobble will increase etc.

As for scopes at this point I recommend you get a good basic 3-9 leopold or Burris. You will only pay about $300 or so for it. A basic plex reticle without mil dots etc. The more fancy stuff on it the more confusing it will be. Since you saved so much money on the scope buy a .22 rifle to start with and learn how to shoot without recoil etc. You can get an air gun insted if you want. Many people laugh at this but professional competition shooters practice with air guns and/or a .22 rifle on a regular basis. I figure if it is good enough for them, it is good enough for me. Ammo is a lot cheaper as well. All in all you will have spent about 1/2 of your $1000. You can put the other half twords ammo. No matter how good the equiptment, the person is the most important part. Also get some snap caps and dry fire your rifle using them. Do this a few times before going to the range. Confused yet?

Where do you live in CA? If you are nearby I can help you get started. If you are under 18 I insist you have a parent along, but will still help you. I doubt you are anywhere near me, but thought I would ask in case.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I live in Ventura and will be moving to Los Angeles for school, UCLA. I really appreciate your imput and look forward to getting this lingo down. I was looking at buying a MarkIII for shooting practice so that I don't have to spend so much money on ammo for my other guns. What .22 riffle would you recommend since I am on my way to the gun dealer in about an hour? Again, thanks for the info. I'll keep you posted on the first shots with the M21. I'm on my way to the shooting range to try out the rifle. Thank you, John.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Any quality .22. By quality I DONT mean you need to get an anchutz. Ruger 10-22 or marlin are good. The Remington .22's are hit and miss on reliability. About $200 rifle new should do it. You can spend more but for starting and what you want to do with heading to school that will do fine.

EDIT: I live at the other end of the state.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow! this rifle is one fun piece of work. The guy at the shooting range left the desk to come and play with the new toy. We spent over 3 hours talking and taking turns shooting at our targets. It was only 50ft but it was still fun. I am looking forward to placing a scope on this and taking it outside for some real fun, about 500 yrds.
I will be taking your advice on the .22 rifle and will get a ruger. I want the one with no sights and ready for a scope(the target model). On the Mark III, I am gonna go with the Hunter version with the fluetted barrel. Thanks for the advice.
The guy at the shooting range didn't want to let go of my rifle. He's going to get the White Feather from Springfield. I sure am enjoying my new rifle.
Simon

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Glad I could help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts