Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know the precise barrel profile and length for the Army M24? (I know the Marines measure from the shoulder abuttment rather than the end of the threads when declaring the barrel length on the new M40A2, so we need to be clear.)

I was at the Reno gun show and chatted with a fellow who makes M24 clones, but his barrel seemed a bit to fat too me. It filled the stocks channel almost too perfectly with nary a space to slip in a bit of paper to confirm free floating non-interference. But otherwise he did a great job.

Mel, I know you used a '24. Do you know somebody who can check the taper at shoulder and muzzle with a dial caliper and get an over-all measurement?

I'm hoping to send the specs to Hart soon (as soon as I find a doner-action).

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Well bugger, no, I no longer have access to a M24. You might TRY contacting remington and seeing if they can help you... but they would probably rather you buy one than build a replica. Of course, you could always throw the "I'm not LE so I'm not allowed to buy one" arguement at them. :D

The barrels are very thick. I would say a #8 contour or there abouts. 7.5 maybe. You could have one of the owners of a 700 5R measure for you, but to be honest, I'm not sure I'd trust those numbers. Even though they are SUPPOSE to be M24 barrels, I just don't trust it.

MEL

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I have a rem 5R and love the rifle and would be happy to measure it, but I do not have any accurate way of getting a good reading for you. I will work on trying to get something for you, could be a day or two.

Just like mel, I am not sure I trust it as a true M24 barrel :?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

Remington R5 barrels might or might not be M24 mil-spec regarding contour, but if the guy at Remington insist they are at least I have something to go on.

I'm gonna' be contacting Mike Rock soon and since he had quite a hand in the reeal deal, he might have the good numbers for me.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Yeah, he would be the one to call. The original batch of M24's used Rock 5R barrels, but I do not know the contour.

MEL

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I give up calling remington... all i get is a run around... even when i told the guy i was with my unit in the military... he said hold on one minute... i was on hold for 20 somthin minutes... so i hung up.

Anyway... there website ( www.RemingtonMIL.com ) says its a 24" barrel... but it does not say how they measure it. And looking at the M-24 barrel and looking at a modern 5R barrel they dont look the same contour at all to me. But i have not messured them... so i cant be 100% sure of anything.

BC

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ballistic_Coefficiency said:
Anyway... there website says its a 24" barrel... but it does not say how they measure it. And looking at the M-24 barrel and looking at a modern 5R barrel they dont look the same contour at all to me. But i have not messured them... so i cant be 100% sure of anything.

BC
Yep, 24 inches long. I'm pretty sure the Army measures the length of the barrel in the conventional fashion (unlike the Marines, who measure from the shoulder and don't count an inch or so of threads).

The tricky measurements are the contour.

I'm not confident that the M24's marketed to law enforcement agencys by Remington are real mil-spec M24's, but who knows. I'll call Mike Rock and he might have the exact contour...and then I'll confirm it for everybody here when I find out.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Maybe the Mil 5R barrel is slightly thicker to accomodate the changed harmonics due to the front sight being installed onto the barrel? Just a thought... :) The "5R" barrels on the M-24SWS dont look anything like the "5R" barrels on the civilian rifles. Doesnt the name its self (5R) have to do with the rifling... and not the contour anyway?

BC

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Ballistic_Coefficiency said:
Maybe the Mil 5R barrel is slightly thicker to accomodate the changed harmonics due to the front sight being installed onto the barrel? Just a thought... :) The "5R" barrels on the M-24SWS dont look anything like the "5R" barrels on the civilian rifles. Doesnt the name its self (5R) have to do with the rifling... and not the contour anyway?
Yes, exactly. The 5R is 5 lands and grooves, right hand twist. The contour has nothing to do with it..... or it has nothing to do with the contour (however you want to look at it). If I had to guess, I'd say the M24 is a #8 contour....

MEL

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Going by this information id say the 5R barrels on the civilian rifles and the 5R barrels on the M-24 SWS are not the same...

BC

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep, 5R (or 6R) are "radiused groove" rifling styles that we copied from the Russians a long time ago (and got well known in the west with early use in the M24). They are less deforming to the bullet jackets and release copper fouling easier. But I digress.

I agree with Mel that Remington probably uses a lighter contour tube because the vast majority of rigs sold are intended for LEO's for whom a 75 yard shot is most common.

Anyway....I just reduced the price of my lil' buzz-gun on subguns.com....when I get that cash the new rifle project starts!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts