Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for any and all pictures of original M40's. Not A1's or A3's, but the original M40's as used by the USMC in Vietnam. These are wood stocked heavy barreled remingtons with various other features. (parkerized, green redfield scopes, etc).

If you have any pics from museums, books, or heck, even when you were issued one, I would very much appreciate the pictures. If possible, post them here, or send them to me via email.

thanks everyone!!

MEL

·
Registered
565 Posts
Uhm, I seem to remember seeing two pics. One is the "famous" inverted pic with the sniper shooting off his helmet. The other is a kneeling sniper with his M14 armed spotter behind him.

Or are these both Rem700s...? :oops: Last time I saw them was in Out of Nowhere by Martin Pegler.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Remember, the original M40's WERE remington's. They too remington 700 bdl varmint rifles and made a few minor changes to create the M40.

If you can find thos pics, please send them my way, or send me their way.

thanks!
MEL

·
Registered
565 Posts
Ok, I've dug out the book and found the pics.

Wooden stocks, HEAVY barrels...looks like M40s to my untrained eyes.

The book, Out of Nowhere, ISBN 1-84176-854-4, is a very, very good book. You'll most likely find it on Amazon. I think it was worth the money.

The pics are on pages 305 and 307. Unfortunatly, the book isn't made for scanning, so the pics would look fugly unless I rip out the pages. And I'm afraid I don't love you that much. Strangely, there are no picture credits in the book.

I'll go google... I'm sure they must be somewhere out there.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I'm afraid I don't have it anymore, but find someone who gets the American Rifleman. In the last six months to a year I've seen a two page color picture of an M40A1 next to what I assume was an original M40 twice, in two seperate articles. The original M40 can be examined in close detail, it's a high quality picture.

Brown wood stock, heavy barrel, remington action, and (I think) redfield scope. The article mentions something about the original M40 too, if memory serves. Somebody has to have that issue still...

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Well, google didn't do much good. So I ended up scanning three pics I found in my books. The results aren't exactly fantastic... but maybe some photoshop-guru can fix them up?

I'll email them and then you can decide for yourself. I don't have a ftp proggie installed on this puter at the moment so I can't upload them :?

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That would be great. THanks!

No, google wasn't any help at all, which is why I posted here.

MEL

·
Registered
777 Posts
Hmm, memory must be worse than I thought. That was the Feb 2001 issue...the text of it is here: http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/ ... i_n8932182

Also, here are pics of the original M40, in black and white: http://www.smallarmsreview.com/pdf/m40.pdf as well as a little more info.

Hope that helps.

*******EDIT********
I read the article, this is not, in fact, an original, but one somebody made themselves. The article even describes how to go about this. I have seen pictures of the real thing, and this is so close that I couldn't tell.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info and the links. I've actually read that article, its pretty good.

MEL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts