Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't mean to raise an argument, and I appologize if something like this has been posted. I would like to know your opinions on which rifle is more accurate, practical, etc... I now there are different versions of the rifles, so I would like to compare the latest versions of each.
Thanks!
NYC2007

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
I'll agree with Mike that the M40A3 is a sick rifle. It's custom built to get the job done in the field, and that's what I like about it.

Not saying it's better than the m24, but I just like it more. :)

dom

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have a thing about a rifle built FOR Marines BY Marines.

The M40 is purpose built for it's task. Remember though we are talking about COMBAT accuracy, not benchrest accuracy. For an M40 to leave Quantico it has to turn in a 3", 300 yard group. However it has the ability to return that level of accuracy after being drug, banged, dropped, soaked, muddied, etc.

I have no practical experience with the M24 system other than holding one once. I have never fired one, but I would venture a guess thay it is capable of an equivalent level of accuracy.

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
I like the M40 series better myself due to them being custom built by Marines for Marines. Also the use of better components like McMillan stocks and Schneider barrels give me more confidence than an HS stock and a Remington made 5R barrel. That said as far as accuracy I think it would fall more to the person driving the rifle than the rifle choosen.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Depending on which M40 you're talking about, I like the M40 series. The M40 is just much much more refined. Personally, however, I think the M40A3 is kind of a hunk of junk for its intended purpose.

I believe Land himself said as much, something along the lines that it was a rifle built specifically for long long range shooting 800-1,000 yards, when that was less than 10% of their shooting. Its simply too heavy....for a person using stealth and having recon as a primary purpose, it would seem they would be better served with a lighter, more versatile rifle or carbine.

I'd say my all-time favorite rifle would be the M40A1 with the Micky HTG stock. Its nice and versatile from a variety of shooting positions and not too terribly heavy.

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
I like them both but I really like the look of the M24. I am doing a M24 clone in .260.

I think the shooter makes the difference in the accuracy.

I love the M40 also but me myself, I like the M24 look.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
I'd have to agree with the M40A1, the A3 stock just looks to heavy and bulky. Id be interested to see what the Marine snipers think whick one is the better of the two.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
I havent actully held an A3 but i think thats it looks a bit bulky. I still prefer the more rounded stock of the A1. Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
M40A1, acceptably accurate, tough as nails, and a stock that is about as versatile as they come.

The M24 is made by a company looking to make a buck, but the M40 is made by Marines looking to make a kill. Just a thought ;)

-matt

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Nice way of putting it, Matt.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Matt, I agree 100%.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts