21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
navyrigger46 said:
Hands down M40A1.

Rigger
Great minds think alike :wink:

The A1 to me is a great field system. The stock works in all positions, not all that heavy, still will set like an anvil in your ruck, or off your pod, and is much easier to maneuver with. Got a chance to shoot a TBA M24 clone. Nothing to be really excited about, just a 308 in a long action. It CERTAINLY would help for a re-loader, but was easy to short stroke. Did not particulary care for the stock either. WAY to much of a space between the butt pad when shooting if it was extended all the way.

Mike also did get me setup with a pretty sweet shooting A1 clone. I have to get back out and get some groups together. The Nightforce scope I got did make it a little heavier though. :twisted:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Quick said:
I'd have to agree with the M40A1, the A3 stock just looks to heavy and bulky. Id be interested to see what the Marine snipers think whick one is the better of the two.
We just started to get the A3 during the tail end of my tour in. My partner had one, and one other team in the platoon had one. The general consensus was that while they had made some nice improvements (adjustable stock, grip, bipod) they had not fundementally improved its accuracy and had increased both its weight and its bulk. They didn't even manage to give it a box magazine. The tradeoffs just were not worth it.

As for 40 vs. 24; I've seen the '24s, but never shot one.

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
I am one of the only ones who just loves the M24.
Dont get me wrong, I like the M40 also. A classic rifle. I have just fell in love with the M24 recently.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Just wondering, but who is it that does the evaluation of the rifle when its been considered. I mean when the USMC was introducing the A3 and going from the A1.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't mean to raise an argument, and I appologize if something like this has been posted. I would like to know your opinions on which rifle is more accurate, practical, etc... I now there are different versions of the rifles, so I would like to compare the latest versions of each.
Thanks!
NYC2007
Probably the M40A3

·
Registered
7 Posts
M40A1. If only for the reason that I'd end up using it for hunting, and find the HTG stock more comfy. I built my hunting rifle based on the A1 with an HTG. I'd like to try building an M24 based rifle too, but the palm smell is just a bit wide and flat for my hand, which I wouldn't mind on the range, but for hunting it would be annoying.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

21 - 29 of 29 Posts