Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
334 Posts
I personally like the Mosin Nagant series of rifles. I might suggest you try to find a M38 carbine, which is the same rifle as the M44, but no bayonet (useless on a hunting rifle anyway) and they tended to be a little better in quality, although as such are a tad bit harder to locate. but worth looking into. I have one of the full sized M91-30 rifles that was made in 1932 and still shoots well and looks good (for its type :D ) One word of advice: only buy the Winchester USA FMJ ammo, and STAY AWAY from any Albanian surplus you come across, as first of all only halfe of the shells will even chamber and the ones that you do get to fire are so corrosive that they will begin to eat your barrel immediately after firing. I also have had feeding problems with most other surplus Soviet ammo, as I do not think they held their ammo production tolerances very tight, but the Winchester stuff works. They are fun rifles, and perfectly capable big-game guns. Have fun.

Jake

· Registered
334 Posts
The B-Square mounts are good, I was going to get one for my Mauser. Advanced Technologies makes a serviceable shotgun stock, so I assume their rifle stocks would also be pretty good. Not a McMillan, but it'll work. For a scope, I would check out the Leupold M8 2.5x Scout. It is a good scope, and only about $250. Now, on the subject of Go/No Go gauges, you certainly can do it yourself if you buy a set, but unless you have experience with using them, I would suggest you let a gunsmith check it out for you. Because if you do it incorrectly, there is the possibility that upon firing, that bolt is blown through your eye. Unpleasant, to say the least... So I would have a 'smith take a look at it and adjust it as needed. And concerning your original question about threading your MN for a Swedish sniper muzzle break, thats a no-no. The Swedish Mauser rifles were chambered in 6.5x55, and the Mosin is 7.62x54. The differences in bullet widths would make that dangerous. If you find a german muzzle break for their 7.92x57 rifles, that would probably work, as the German bore is of a larger diameter than the Mosin.

Hope some of that was helpful!

Jake

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.