Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to throw this issue out for comment. I have a .308 Remington 700 SPS Tactical that I've been shooting for about a year and a half now. I load all my own ammo and have had absolutely no problems with anything I've ever fired through it. Recently, I was given a box of 150gn Magtech FMJ and have had a problem with them. Every time I fire a round of the Magtech ammo, the case sticks in the chamber. I have to smack the bolt handle with heal of my hand several times to get the case out. The bolt handle lifts OK, but it just won't extract the case. There's no obvious signs of over-pressure. I've measured the empty cases and they all measure within a couple of thousands of spec. All my rounds after that worked just fine. I'm stumped, but interested in anything anyone has to offer on the subject.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
seeing as it was only one box, and it is not what you would call precision ammo, I would put it on the shelf and forget about it until the zombies come.

Are the primers flattened out? will they shoot in another .308? My first thought with cases sticking after being fired is overpressure, but you said there were no signs of that. If you put one of the fired, stuck cases back in the chamber, does it stick again?

I am convinced that factory loaded ammo (especially bulk) is not as precise and safe as carefully measured handloaded rounds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think what I'm going to do is resize the brass from what I've fired so far, then load it up with a known good recipe and test it again. The cases has obviously been annealed, so I can't help thinking it's some quality brass. I'll post again with the results on that. If it works well, I may just pull the bullets, clear the old powder, resize and load them up with something decent. Thanks for the input.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts