Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help with making sighting adjustment using MOA reticle. Shooting at say 400 yds, my redicle shows a hit at 1 moa high. I can either hold over 1MOA or adjust the elevation. Being at 400 yds, is this actually 1 moa (4 clicks) on my scope or is it something else? Is there a formula? Thanks

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
You got it. 1 MOA is 1 MOA no matter the distance. Your scope's knobs are in MOA and you are 1 MOA high then you just dial down 1 MOA or hold under 1 MOA. Simple.

·
Registered
907 Posts
At 400yds one click should equal 1moa for a scope with 1/4moa clicks shouldn't it?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Brainz said:
At 400yds one click should equal 1moa for a scope with 1/4moa clicks shouldn't it?
with 1/4 MOA clicks then 4 clicks would equal 1 MOA

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Jcagle89 said:
Brainz said:
with 1/4 MOA clicks then 4 clicks would equal 1 MOA
No.

at 400 yards 1 MOA=4 inches so 1"= 1/4 MOA

1 MOA is..........

1 " at 100 yards

2" at 200 yards

3" at 300 yards

4" at 400 yards

5" at 500 yards etc etc

1 cilck or 1/4 MOA= 1" at 400 yards.

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
Don't confuse inches and MOA. There's no need for inches if you have an MOA reticle to make corrections.

With a scope that has 1/4 MOA clicks, 4 clicks is 1 MOA no matter what range it is at. Once you start changing the angular MOA measurement to linear inch measurements it gets more confusing as 1 MOA at 100 yards is 1.047" and goes out angular from there so it's 2.094" at 200, 3.141" at 400 etc.

But once again you don't need to think in inches is you have an MOA reticle. You see impact 1.5 MOA to the left then you just dial 1.5 MOA of right windage. Doesn't matter if you are at 100 yards or 1000.

·
Registered
280 Posts
1 MOA at 100 yards is 1.047" and goes out angular from there so it's 2.094" at 200, 3.141" at 400 etc.
Yeah, OK, you are correct, now find one of us who at 400 yards that can judge, hold or correct 0.141 actual inches at 400 yards.

Yes we all know that a MOA is 1.047 inches. We also know when we say, as in coaching or spotting, (regarding sights) "give me a minute left" or "give me a minute down" everyone knows we are talking about MOA. We don't say give me 1.047, or 2.094, etc.

For all practical AND I MEAN PRACTIAL purposes, a MOA is one inch. Lets move to 1000 yards, the differance between an inch, and a Moa, is .47. Thats less then 1/2 inch actual. Don't know about you, but looking through the spotting scope, I cant tell if I hit a pinwheel X or if I'm 1/2 inches away from a Pinwheel.

This 1 vs 1.047 does nothing but confuse the issue, especially to new shooters. Guns don't shoot with in .047, ammo dosn't shoot withing .047 and shooters don't shoot within .047 nor can we shooters tell the differance.

So lets stop getting picky, shooting is 95% + mental anyway, adding something else to worry about just makes it worse, more then any gain we get by trying to get that extra .047 inch.

·
Registered
167 Posts
kraigwy said:
1 MOA at 100 yards is 1.047" and goes out angular from there so it's 2.094" at 200, 3.141" at 400 etc.
Yeah, OK, you are correct, now find one of us who at 400 yards that can judge, hold or correct 0.141 actual inches at 400 yards.

Yes we all know that a MOA is 1.047 inches. We also know when we say, as in coaching or spotting, (regarding sights) "give me a minute left" or "give me a minute down" everyone knows we are talking about MOA. We don't say give me 1.047, or 2.094, etc.

For all practical AND I MEAN PRACTIAL purposes, a MOA is one inch. Lets move to 1000 yards, the differance between an inch, and a Moa, is .47. Thats less then 1/2 inch actual. Don't know about you, but looking through the spotting scope, I cant tell if I hit a pinwheel X or if I'm 1/2 inches away from a Pinwheel.

This 1 vs 1.047 does nothing but confuse the issue, especially to new shooters. Guns don't shoot with in .047, ammo dosn't shoot withing .047 and shooters don't shoot within .047 nor can we shooters tell the differance.

So lets stop getting picky, shooting is 95% + mental anyway, adding something else to worry about just makes it worse, more then any gain we get by trying to get that extra .047 inch.
Amen to that

This pedantic insistence on the EXACT relationship between inches and MOA is useless and ridiculous.

We know. We get it. Now leave it alone.

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
My point was to use your reticle. No need to think in inches. See the adjustment needed and then dial it. No extra thoughts or conversions. Simple. Practical.

Kraig, I know practical and my post was to give the exact conversions for the OP and not to say that's what would be shot or corrected for. Just so he knew. New shooters should learn the proper numbers and then they can use the basic round off but knowing where it comes from is important.

Proneshooter it's called attention to detail and knowing the details in the shooting sport. Sorry it bothers you. Next time feel free to pass over my posts.

Thanks Orkan. Fat fingers ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts