Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D

I heard that every year at the mega-martial artists' competition in DC, some black-belt super ninja makes a wrong turn somewhere (it's REAL easy in DC) and gets his rear handed to him by a G.

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
576 Posts
When you regiment your abilities and mentality to the controlled sparring that is organized fighting competition, you go down.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Awesome post Scatch!

Yeah man, I was going to go for UFC until 50 Cent clobbered me in an alley. I had my nunchucks and everything!

-snowy

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Fiddy cent would get his butt whooped by half the people on this board lol. Some high speed low drag guys would eat him up. Heck, lots of guys on the board who ain't mil or le would take him...

LOL he has "I been shot 9 times"...we have OSOK :lol:

·
Registered
238 Posts
i dont know UFC has some pretty extreme guys, a friend of mines' cousin was in it, then went into the marines and in sparring he took down his instructor...

but i would agree that style specific tornaments are horrible because very limited and you already know what the other person is going to do

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Not suprising, really...Pros from places like the UFC and Pride in Japan often work with special forces to develop their unique and mission specific combat skills.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
shikaku said:
i dont know UFC has some pretty extreme guys, a friend of mines' cousin was in it, then went into the marines and in sparring he took down his instructor...

but i would agree that style specific tornaments are horrible because very limited and you already know what the other person is going to do
The military really does not spend as much time on hand to hand as most people think. I believe the marines spend more than most. Also what they teach you isn't someting you can really use sparing or even a bar fight without going to prison for several years.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
ekaphoto said:
The military really does not spend as much time on hand to hand as most people think. I believe the marines spend more than most.
Yes... the USMC has a basic "MCMAP" (Marine Corps Martial Arts Program) which is based on Jujitsu. Usually how it works is... by the time your an E6 you are a class 6 black belt. Jujitsu is not the kung fu retarded junk (which is 100% useless in a real fight). Its a form of hand to hand combat... using pressure points and the use of edged weapons... eye gouges... chokes and "breaking procedures"... also known as bone breakers.

BC

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Ballistic_Coefficiency said:
ekaphoto said:
The military really does not spend as much time on hand to hand as most people think. I believe the marines spend more than most.
Yes... the USMC has a basic "MCMAP" (Marine Corps Martial Arts Program) which is based on Jujitsu. Usually how it works is... by the time your an E6 you are a class 6 black belt. Jujitsu is not the kung fu retarded junk (which is 100% useless in a real fight). Its a form of hand to hand combat... using pressure points and the use of edged weapons... eye gouges... chokes and "breaking procedures"... also known as bone breakers.

BC
Yea, good stuff, I took jujitsu several years ago. Aso my grandfather showed me a few things he had picked up over the years including from a friend of his that had been a ranger in WW II. All WW II rangers, commando's etc got fairban/sykes class of dirty deeds.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
As infrequently as I disagree with BC, some aspects of Kung Fu properly applied are effective in real world fighting situations. I don't know about land warfare, but in your average civvy on civvy fight, I have found aspects of the style useful.

Some of the hand traps and closing techniques work very well.
Especially if you are not of large body mass and trying to keep the arms of someone with large body mass off of you. I'm not vouching for any crouching tiger fancy stuff. If you strip the hand trapping techniques down they are very similar to American boxing.

My only issue with Jujitsu is it tends to end up on the ground frequently. Granted jujitsu is comfortable on the ground, but I try to avoid the ground whenever possible.

-snowy

·
Registered
576 Posts
With Snowy again. I like being able to turn on my heels and bolt off to open up the range a little. If I end up on the ground, I generally end up having to do something... not pleasant, to my opponent, because when we end up on the ground, it's usually because I've fallen down after taking a blow to the torso that would crack through a safe-door. That's usually what it feels like, anyways.

The difference between MA taught to military personnel and civilians is that the military stuff is designed for - killing - as is the civilian stuff, but the civilians put more emphasis on the mental and 'control' techniques than the military - ideally because a civilian won't need to kill fifteen men with his hands out in the middle of the boonies.

The Marine Corps system sounds similar to "Spetsnaz Systema" and Rukopashnii Boi. Both of which I need to study more.

For some reason, some people think that one martial art is mystically better than another. They're not, but when people think that it can either get really heated or just really, really damn stupid.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I avoid the ground because you can't pick your ground when you are on the ground.

What if the ground is covered with used syringes and broken glass? What if I'm at a wedding and wearing a tuxedo? What if I'm in a river? What if I'm in an elevator with three other people?

I only like applications that work everywhere.
I will make your life miserable if you get me on the ground, but I'm not staying there if I have a choice.

-snowy

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
snowy said:
I avoid the ground because you can't pick your ground when you are on the ground.

What if the ground is covered with used syringes and broken glass? What if I'm at a wedding and wearing a tuxedo? What if I'm in a river? What if I'm in an elevator with three other people?

I only like applications that work everywhere.
I will make your life miserable if you get me on the ground, but I'm not staying there if I have a choice.

-snowy
Many people think jujitsu is primaraly a ground fighting tenique due to the gracie brothers. It is not. It teaches a lot about ground fighting because many times street fights go there, but there is much much more than that.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
My brother is a second degree black belt in karate.

Anyhow, my brother's sensei is from Japan. His sensei is one of the top karate teachers anywhere.

So one day out on the street, the sensei got involved in a parking dispute. My brother was right there with the sensei and some stupid local yokel challenged them both to fight. This was right outside the dojo.

My brother tried to calm down the other party, but the guy was nuts. He continued to act belligerently and he kept poking the sensei in the chest!!
So finally, the sensei said, "Do you really want to fight?", and of course the moron wanted to fight.

So the sensei said, "Come with me, I know a nice place where we can fight". And that's when the sensei pointed to the door of the dojo. The would be fight starter looked up and saw the sign next to the door that read: "Japan Karate Association".

Mr. Fight Starter hesitated just a little bit and the sensei opened the door to the dojo and invited the guy in. At that point, Mr. Fight Starter began to apologize profusely. He suddely remembered other pressing business. Then the sensei bowed graciously to him before he ran off on his way.

Now I wasn't there. But my brother said that the look on the guy's face was priceless. Can you imagine anyone stupid enought to pick a fight with a Japanese black belt right outside the dojo?

Mad.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Absolutely, there is a lot more to it than that.
We try to always have someone who is Akido or Jujitsu trained in our little fighting circle.
They bring a great dynamic on all levels to the sparring.

I do however, find that if they are not getting where they want to go with me at a distance they try to close. I'm pretty comfortable close range so if that doesn't work I usually end up having to get out of a take down move.

When I say they end up on the ground too much, I only mean for my taste. In my book and for my build, the ground is bad news.

Generally when the bigger guys end up paired with smaller Jujitsu guys the fight goes to the ground.

Just an observation.
Jujitsu is one of the most real world effective martial arts and it is effective on all levels, no doubt.

-snowy

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Not to reply to my own post, but your post hit while I was posting.

The best part of that story is how the gentleman avoided the physical conflict completely.

There is a Japanese saying the says...

"The greatest victors are never seen on the battlefield. They are never seen wielding blades. They are victors at dinner tables and state meetings. Defeating whole armies single handedly before the conflicts occur."

Call me a sap, but I believe that one to the bone.

-snowy

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Mad, thats a really, really good story...Laughed my butt off but its more than just funny, its also a really responsible guy doing the right thing by telling the aggressor to take it to the ring. Especially when he was being assaulted. If he wasn't such a nice guy he could have hurt him, because of the poking, right? Instead he was actually going to take the man into his school and teach him. I respect that a lot. Better than saying "Look at me, I rough people up"

The combination of arts I have personally seen be the most useful are a mix of collegiate wrestling and boxing. Good solid stuff, I found. Nothing fancy its effective.

lol well that and I calculated the energy of my brother's punching once, from the frontal area, speed, and weight of his hand. 950 ft/lbs. No thank you!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Boxing will give you a lot of punch speed and power.

Another Japanese Proverb:
- Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a Nightmare.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts