Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it has nothing to do with sniping but I figure someone who is a bigger gun nut than me will know the answer to this question. So once again sorry for being off topic but I am getting desparate.

I am currently in the process of restoring an old 1894 Mauser Kar88 (it is the carbine model of the Gew88 which is the predecessor of the Kar98). I was given this thing for free and told it was a complete piece of junk. But the more I fix it up the more I begin to think that I may yet raise this old dinosaur from the grave. Of course I will have a gunsmith inspect it first to see if I will be able to use it. But here is my question and I have searched all over the internet and have not gotten a definitive answer:

What is the caliber of this gun????? And which cartridge does it fire?????

It has an "S" marked on the reciever which I had read they put these on the reciever to indicate the throat has been lengthened for the new "Spitzer" rounds. Is this the same 8mm cartridge that the Kar98 fires? Any help anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated. I have put a lot of work into this gun and am excited to find out if it still works. At the very least I will have something nice to hang over my fireplace or in the study. But I want to be %100 percent sure of what ammunition it taked before I shoot it.

·
Registered
307 Posts
You bought a rifle without knowing what round it fired? Jeez...

It'll probably be the 7.92 Mauser. The germans pretty well used nothing else, so.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Uhh, if you read my post carefully you would have noticed that I was given the gun for FREE....I'm not a total idiot.

And this gun was manufactured just prior to the adoption of the 7.92mm Mauser Cartridge (8mm) so I am wondering if they redesigned it to take the new cartridge after the Germans switched.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts