Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Jeff - its not the cost that gets you (and they are not cheap in anyone's book) - its waiting the 4-6 months for delivery. High Demand low inventory.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
assuming that im willing to pay that much.. wont have a rilfe to put it on for another few months, does McMillian get your reccomendation?
i know teh USMC uses them cause they are marine proof
i figure that if they are marine proof they are Jeff proof ;)
although im sure the HS Precision stock the 700P comes with is a good stock, that could hold over for the long wait if i decide to get one

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Yes they get my vote. Marine proof only means that most Marines will not break it on purpose at any given moment. Get them cranky and sleep deprived, and things have a way of getting broken around them. :wink:

If I were you I would not jump on teh McMillan until I had at least check out (as best you can) the accuracy Int'l system. I would love to see and shoot with one of those stocks; pictures just do not give you a chance to properly evalute a system. They have one on GunsAmerica.com right now for something like $489.00. (still less than what I put into my McMillan A-5 with adjustable cheek piece OUCH!!!) But given my recent invest ment in my custom swap barrel rig, I need to play the $$$ cards VERY close to the vest for a few months. :wink:

edited because my typing stinks

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
also lookin at other HS Precision but then again i might just keep the stock on the rifle that it coems with, but if i do get a stock, these definitely look like they are worth a good look
the M24 stock looks good
http://www.hsprecision.com/pst03a.htm
also lookin at the HTR stock on the HS precision 2000 HTR
http://www.hsprecision.com/pst25.htm
Mel i know you have used both what do ya reccomend, mostly target shooting in the prone position, also some hunting, firing from teh standing position but a few lbs extra doesnt matter to me, how dourable are they (not intentionally trying to destroy them but i want it to last)
other ppl who ahve used them or the McMillan, AI or any other brand plz comment here too

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
McMillan stocks are excellent, very durable, very comfortable. They have their flaws also: mold lines, heavy, need to glass bed them.

HS Precision stocks are also nice, lighter then McMillan, comfortable, not as durable (in my opinion), and cheaper, without the need for glass bedding.

AI - Comfortable, very durable, ugly :wink: in a cool way, VERY field friendly, expensive, no bedding required.

All three are excellent, all three will serve you very well, and all three have their loyal followers. I love the McMillan McHale stock, my all time favorite, also love the AI stocks.

MEL

·
Registered
89 Posts
McMillin A-3 and up stocks are my favorite along with the AI 1.5

The PSS stock you have will work fine...

If a HP stock gets to close in price to a McMillin I would get the McMillin...

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Nek,

Heh, like I said, ugly in a cool way!! It has grown on me, and I like them. AI stock is far better looking then the likes of hectate, Blaser, and that type.

MEL

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i think ill get the rifle probably about 2 months now see how the stock is, if its good ill keep it, if not ill look to the heavy McMillian stocks that wait will kill me if i decide to get one heh
i want to finish my first summer semester before i get something i wont have time to shoot, be in college and be thinking about my new rifle i want to shoot when i should be paying attention to the lecutre
2nd summer semester is just an art class so ill be able to work full time, do school and shoot all i want :)

·
Registered
571 Posts
Mel:

I must say that some of McMillans and HS Precisions stocks are butt ugly too, especially with those absolutely *bleeeagggh* patterns...

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Nek,

Yes, all too true. There really are some ugly stocks by McM and HS also!

Oh, in regards to your sig:

Rules of Combat no 2: Friendly fire.... isn't!!

MEL

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok i need a stock thats going to be ok for all firing postiions but most of my shooting will probably be done in the prone position and some from a bench also crouching and standing positions but i prefer heavy stocks they just seem to balance the rifle good for me
what are there strenghts and weakenesses of the following:
McMillian A1-5 and baker special and HS PRecision M-24 and HTR stocks and the AI stock .. dont know name just the one on the super magnum

·
Registered
60 Posts
Jeff,

I have had an A-3 and HTG by mcmillan, cant really think of any weakness. They are quite pricey when you factor in the cost of a good bedding job. I am currently shooting the HTR( PST25 ) by HS. I really like this stock, its very comfortable, I couldnt imagine using the M24 stock instead, it has no comb height and no vertical grip, two features that I feel are important. The AI stocks look to be very nice, I will be trying one of them in the future. Just to clear it up, I didnt go from the mcmillan stocks to the HS stock for any reason other than to just change the gun a bit. I couldnt really pick a best one, they are all nice stocks. If you can get your hands on any of them to kinda feel and compare, do so. Good luck with your choice, you will not be dissappointed any way you go.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ya i thiknk they are all good stocks but i cant go out and buy 20 stocks for 1 rifle im only going to get one of these highly expensive stocks
leaning twards McMillian.. havnt ruled out AI or HS yet but going to forget about them at the moment..
if i can decide which McMillian is good i can compare that to the other manufacturers heh
whats the pros and cons of McMillian A1, A2, A4 you can give your opinion on which you reccomend too i understand it all comes down to personal preference but it always helps to hear what other people say which they like and why

·
Registered
522 Posts
Jeff,

I love the fact that both the A4 and A5 have a butt hook for the support hand or for sandbags. I like the adjustable cheekpieces and the lenght of pull spacer system. I also like the hand grips on both however there lies small differences in both which have me still undecided as which one I really want to go with. I am leaning towards the A4 just because of durability and weight issues. I seem to shoot better with slightly heavier stocks. We will have to see.

My final evaluation will be when I actually shoot an A4 and an A5 in 308. Perhaps you should do the same. Well, in your caliber of choice of course.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Jeffvn (<-- :lol: until right now I didn't think that I need to distinguish you guys :lol: )

Thats GREAT news! Was the damage really bad? :( Can't wait to see it, and watch you shoot it. I have never actually even seen someone shoot an A4 or an A5. At ASC I haven't really seen any at all. I think I saw an A2 once but thats about it. Everything else is stock. (no pun intended)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts