Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i've been reading around on the forums i've leardned that i dont really have a clue how to measure groups that you shoot downrange...i always though that on a target there's square inch boxes and if you can get 3 shots in one of those you're under an inch....i kbow you guys know how to correctly measure a group....do you have any pictures or info to share with me to make this clear for me????? thanks guys

~dom~

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
First thing you need is a caliper. Either a dial caliper or a digital caliper. Measure the group outisde to outside of the bullets the farthest apart. Subtract the caliber. Youve got your group.

1" from outside of farthest holes. Caliber = .223"

= .777 inch group.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Yep, spade has it correct. The other thing you can do (to save math) is find the two holes the furthest apart, and measure from the outside of one to the inside of the other. This also gives you center to center

MEL

edited for spelling

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Never though about that mel, good idea.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys.....one more question. could u just use a ruler to get a general idea about how big your group is??? using spade's technique?? thanks again

~dom~

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
yeah you can use a ruler, i just say caliper because its more accurate.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
right on mate--thanks again--how much does a decent kaliper cost normally?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
you can find em at automotive shops for under 50.... usually around 35 for a dial caliper...Check www.harborfreight.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts