Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are there any significant differences between Mel's Howa and Remmy packages besides the maker of the action? is there a diff. in accuracy?
also is the different barrel lenghths somehow an advantage in one direction?
just asking because i thought Hoaa sort of designed their action after the 700

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
The Howa action is a whole different animal than the Remington.

The Howa has a flat bottom, integral recoil lug, small claw extractor and a trigger that's fairly easy to adjust down to 2lbs or so.

The Remington action is round, it has a separate recoil lug, a clip extractor and the trigger is not as easily adjusted, it can be done it's just more of a hassle.

The Barrel length is neither a benefit or a hindrance IMHO. The Remington has stronger aftermarket support, the Howa has tighter tolerances out of the box. Either will probably shoot .75 or better but there is no guarantee with either one.

Both are a good value and both will serve you well.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
why is there such a price difference? is Howa just not quite as popular?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
may i ask, which would you buy and why?

from all ive heard so far theres nearly no preformance differences making it silly to spend the extra money on the Rem, but i find that unlikely for some reason

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Personally if I had any plans on upgrading the barrel and action in the future I'd go with a Remington. If you plan to leave it as is, there's no reason not to get the Howa package. That is, unless you think one action is smoother than the other when it comes to cycling.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, i suppose if i wanted it touched up by tacops in a year or two itd be easier with a remongton

·
Registered
258 Posts
The Remmys have a bigger group of smiths that are familiar with them and tons of aftermarket parts available compared to the howas!
So if you are planning on doing some work to it then remmys are easier to deal with on the smith and parts side of the equation.
Anyway never had a howa went strait for the 700. But I hear they are nice!

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
The things you'd do to blueprint a Howa are the same things you'd do to blueprint a Remington. The only thing you'd do differently with the barrel is thread it differently. Most Howa's are pretty tight out of the box and don't need to be blueprinted. You can get some inexpensive aftermarket stocks for the Howa but not the plethora that is available for the Remington. If you want to step up and pay $500 or $600 for a stock Manners will make one for the Howa. The howa trigger is easier to adjust than the Remy too.

If all this sounds like I'm slamming the Remy, I'm not. The Remington is the easiest to modify if you choose to modify. I sell a lot of both and a lot of Savages too, they are all good rifles and it boils down to what appeals to you?

·
Registered
17 Posts
As far as price when i ordered my SC Howa package i upgraded the scope and I was going to get it with a Remington 26" barrel and action and Mel would have to charge my $200 more to go to Rem... At that time he was not yet offering the Rem... package. I stuck with the Howa, something different and it preforms awesome out of the box from what i have read. My rifle should be shipped in a week or two, cant wait!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hi fluffy!

yup i allready know bout you, lemme guess "D-on't B-e A-A S- chmo"?

·
Registered
17 Posts
There you go straight from the mans mouth. Now you have to call him :lol: . Mel has the best customer serves and will answer the questions you have. Questions are free, I think, I might need to check my CC statement lol

1 - 20 of 60 Posts